Just Back From Eustis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanM View Post
    I want to thank both "sides" and any of the chapters and individuals that sponsor and promote a meet for antique bikes. We are a small community, and without sharing would be no where. I was at Florida in 2012 for the first time, it rained, but we found cover under the horse sheds. Went back and forth between the meets. I'm only sorry the 2 meets were not consolidated to simplify going. But I understand and respect what is going on. To Fillibuster- what was in the meet for AMCA members? Every meet offers new friends and contacts to be made. Bikes to photograph for the resoration details whch cannot be learned elsewhere. Leads, and communication about parts, vendors, projects come from talking to others. This happens at every meet. Its hard enough to do a project, let alone without contacts and leads. Even if you don't come home with a part, you can come home with a lot! The main thing an AMCA National provides is a focus for us all. I think the AMCA is a glue even for the breakout or new meets. The AMCA meet also offers the member the judging. Anyone can try to have an antique meet, and as we have seen, they can be quite successful. But only the AMCA meet offers the judging aspect of the hobby which is fun and important to some of us. Yankees have had 40 years of meets- some Nationals and some Chapter or Regional meets. The National meet means we pay the AMCA a portion of vending fees and we offer AMCA points judging. Sometimes there are more people vending or shopping at a National. For me personally, I probably wouldn't have been able to get my first 45 done if I didn't stumble upon the Yankee meet in 1990. I have made so many friends and learned so much, it is amazing to meet guys that have old bikes and don't know about the AMCA, I don't know how they do it. Meets are like people- they have personalities. I have had the chance to go to Davenport 2 times, and it was awesome, Oley is a must for those of us here in the Northeast, along with Rhinbebeck and the Yankee Meet. We usuallu close out the season down at White Rose. I hope to get to Wauseon this year as a virgin. My main goal of meets is learning- looking closely at bikes to see how they are done, get photos og key areas for how they go together, and sometimes to find parts. But when I was doing my JD, it was critical to see as many as I could- and where can you see them? The meets. I want to get to Denotn, and will soon. I know this isn't a writeup about the meets in FLA, but I wanted to give my perspective on the meets in general. One of our Yankee members has been scanning old newsletter to make digital copies for the website. He made a list of the events we've had- 90 different National, Chapter, and Road Runs. What keeps the guys coming and the chapter vital? Its got to be the comradarie and friendships. We have a member Karl Nagy- been in the chapter since it was formed- 1973. Won King of the Field in the mid 80s, and sold his Chief in 2012 because he just couldn't hold her up safely. But he shows up at the road runs with his Model T. I think Karl is a symbol for all of us. Its a love. Keep the meets alive! Volunteer to help your club! If you don't know what to do, just ask. Dan
    Thanks for your reply, Dan, and especially for your enthusiasm which is very evident. Meet hosts are very hard workers, no doubt, and we have to be careful in criticism when that criticism is too easily seen as disparaging, or as rain on a good time outdoors, dampening the volunteer spirit.
    I've been a regular at Davenport, Farmington/St Paul, and Omaha's Fremont and Underwood and LeMars meets for 22 years, and I made Eustis in 2003. I'd love to work my way east for Wauseon, Oley, and more. And I dearly hope we continue to have hosts who are determined to do a bang-up job!

I guess I'll have to go back to the survey that was conducted a year or two ago and see if there was a topic of "meet content preference", or something of that order. To me, the club's greatest rewards (and as you noted there are many rewards) are in the meets, so I'm passionate about their content. And I especially prefer to frequent the vendors, to shop, to talk shop, to learn, and to educate (on a rare moment!). I'm nearly of the conviction that if you don't have vendors you don't have a meet, but then in lamenting the loss of a vendor-rich Farmington I'm still enjoying (as best I can) the vendor-lean St Paul in the camp spots with my family and friends, and the great hall. But I'll have to confess, without the family and friends I'd stay home.

So how do we get our vendors back? Do we want them back? Free spots would be a pittance; do we pay them to show up?!! (rant, rant, rant!)

So again, (Dan), how many parts vendors were at Silver Sands?

Comment

Well said Dan. Although the success of a Chapter sponsored AMCA National Meet does not depend on the number of vendors or people who attend, the Sunshine Chapter Meet at Silver Sands this year had at least 202 vendors as listed in the meet program. I suspect there were more vendors in attendance who did not preregister. All of the volunteers from the Sunshine Chapter should be commended for a very successful Meet. As President of the Club, I have the privilege of attending most National Meets. It is true that each Meet has its own personality. Some are large with hundreds of vendors and thousands of people attending. Others are smaller and more laid back. So if it's not the number of vendors or people attending National Meets that determine success, what is? I have come to believe from my travels to National Meets that it's the passion for old bikes and the camaraderie this passion brings to the Club that is the true measure of success. Whether it's one or two people riding old bikes around their neighborhood or 6000 plus people attending a National Meet with 600 plus vendors really doesn't matter. Whether we belong to a Chapter or are just a Club member doesn't matter either. The passion for the old bikes is the glue that keeps us all together. And the AMCA and its Chapters are the organizations that make it easier for all of us to enjoy this passion together. Please remember if vendors didn't attend National Meets, very few people would attend and vice versa. So when trying to determine if an AMCA event is successful or not, it's not the numbers that matter but the passion and camaraderie of the people that counts the most.
      Richard Spagnolli
      AMCA #6153

Comment

Originally posted by Spag View Post
        Well said Dan. Although the success of a Chapter sponsored AMCA National Meet does not depend on the number of vendors or people who attend, the Sunshine Chapter Meet at Silver Sands this year had at least 202 vendors as listed in the meet program. I suspect there were more vendors in attendance who did not preregister. All of the volunteers from the Sunshine Chapter should be commended for a very successful Meet. As President of the Club, I have the privilege of attending most National Meets. It is true that each Meet has its own personality. Some are large with hundreds of vendors and thousands of people attending. Others are smaller and more laid back. So if it's not the number of vendors or people attending National Meets that determine success, what is? I have come to believe from my travels to National Meets that it's the passion for old bikes and the camaraderie this passion brings to the Club that is the true measure of success. Whether it's one or two people riding old bikes around their neighborhood or 6000 plus people attending a National Meet with 600 plus vendors really doesn't matter. Whether we belong to a Chapter or are just a Club member doesn't matter either. The passion for the old bikes is the glue that keeps us all together. And the AMCA and its Chapters are the organizations that make it easier for all of us to enjoy this passion together. Please remember if vendors didn't attend National Meets, very few people would attend and vice versa. So when trying to determine if an AMCA event is successful or not, it's not the numbers that matter but the passion and camaraderie of the people that counts the most.
        Thanks for the report, Richard. I'll take stock in it. And I'll ask my friend if he was aware of those 202 vendors when he was there, and how he missed them.
        Any event's success, as measured by an individual, is dependent on that individual. He must choose to enjoy, sometimes.

Comment

The Sponsors of the Eustis, Florida swapmeet are proud to say our website has been updated with pictures from this years event, and important information on Eustis 2014. The support from our vendors and fans have resulted in a great increase in the venue for 2014. Check out updates at www.vintagemotorcyclealliance.com and stay tuned for more info. Vintage bike week in Lake County is growing with the help of old bike owners from all over the country. Shelby

Comment

Working...
          X