Just Back From Eustis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Back From Eustis

Leeesa and eye just got home from the Eustis meet. Spent three days; the nights back here at home. We live only about 25 miles from it.

Eustis antique meet is bein' ably run by a group of Antique Motorcycle Club of America vendors, who incorporated as the "Vintage Motorcycle Alliance, L.L.C.," dedicated to keeping a Bike Week antique meet alive at Eustis, the Lake County Fairgrounds.
    The Sunshine Chapter suddenly pulled up stakes and abandoned the field two years ago, after being at Eustis for 16 years, in favor of the unpaved horse show place next door to the Cabbage Patch biker bar, 45 miles closer to Daytona, south of the Speedway.

Eustis is basically a laid-back, rural town, and much quieter than the 24-hour carnival/madhouse that is anywhere closer to Daytona this week, and when the Sunshine chapter suddenly beat feet for the New Smyrna site, a group of AMCA vendors who genuinely preferred Eustis to what was offered, decided to put up their money and preserve a Florida antique-bike tradition. Now, they're writing new pages of history. An AMCA campground was opened this year in the neighborhood with very low rates for AMCA members.

I didn't get any pics, all three days, because I'm a dumbass, but it was made up of Old Harleys: Shovels, on back to about the 'Teens and 'Twenties, and Indians and almost everything else you can think of, from Brit Nortons and Triumphs and Beezers to Asian bikes, and most all of the parts to build them that you can think of.

Reports I got were that the New Smyrna antique meet at the horse place was sold out and bursting at the seams, so I am led to think that it is proving out that Bike Week in Florida is probably big enough to support TWO antique meets simultaneously, and everyone is happy.

The weather was perfect over Florida, in the 70s, and there was literally not a cloud in the sky, from horizon-to-horizon, for all three days. Set-up at Eustis was on Thursday. Then, Friday and Saturday a lot of trading went on, and Eustis ended in deference to tomorrow, Sunday, when many of the vendors will go over to Daytona to set up at Jam-On or one of the other swaps that will last all week, and in the morning, the restored AMCA show bikes will be judged at the horse park.

I was set up in a high-traffic spot near the entrance with Ol' Tex, the Army 37UL, talking up our new Florida chapter, the Gulf Coast Chapter, centered on the Tampa area, the opposite side of Florida from Daytona and Sunshine Chapter on the Atlantic side. Dear Leesa and Spot an' eye had signs up and were handing out flyers and membership apps. "Where ya from?"

If the answer was anything Florida, or along the Gulf Coast, we had an opening: "Here, take an application! We're the up-and-coming gulf side chapter! We meet quarterly at the Harley-Davidson dealership in Lakeland, right at Exit 33 of I-4!"

Ol' Tex, sittin' there, was our calling card. We got the sidecar back on it and the new ("Worshamcastle") tandem seat, so it stuck out like a sore thumb, invitin' us to spiel about the historical motorization experiments of the U.S. Cavalry at Fort Knox, 1937 to '41; along with "Here, take an application for Gulf Coast chapter!"

I've got to thank Shelby Withrow, Charles Price and Tom Feesler, and Tom Faber (responsible for the campground), who are some of the main spark plugs, for providing some prime vending spaces to the GCC to allow us to do it. A fine time was had by all. Maybe someone else who was there will post some photos. I was just negligent and forgot all about takin' pics.
    Last edited by Sargehere; 03-09-2013, 10:26 PM.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

helllo all just got back from bike week we vended at eustis sold out and only worked the site for 1 half of time just love eustis had a good bike week and are home waiting for winter storm ukko what an insult there were more venders there this year hope the folks who put it on made out ok thanks so much to shelby and all the other folks hope to do it again next year the price of gas sucks hundred doller bills right out of wallet brought down shovelheads to ride could of sold my orig paint 68 flh 10 times shovels are hot put 14 hundred miles considering all that there was to do in area thats not bad paul g bergeron minot maine 7989

Comment

I haven't been to Eustis the last two years but have heard results both ways. Can someone give an honest opinion of number of vendors and spectators. I really like the area, restaurants, and cheap hotels! Thanks.
      Louie
      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
        I haven't been to Eustis the last two years but have heard results both ways. Can someone give an honest opinion of number of vendors and spectators. I really like the area, restaurants, and cheap hotels! Thanks.
        good luck with that one.
        rob ronky #10507
        www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Louie, I will not attempt to guess at the number of vendors there, however it is very much smaller than before the split. I did find a part that I needed for one of my 49 pans. I also visited silver sands which had plenty of vendors. For me I still prefer Eustis and will continue to go and stay there. The traffic at silver sands IMO was terrible. I hope Eustis is able to hang on because if all we have to offer is silver sands I will no longer attend the Fla meet. I remember Farmington, I went most yrs and it was a 1000 mile trip for me, however since it moved to St. Paul I have not been back. These comments are just my own preferences and I will always support this great club, but I will just attend the more rural meets, thanks, Larry

Comment

Louie and others,

I can't tell you the exact number of vendors or shoppers, cuz some new vendors came on Sat, and some left after Fri. , but I would say it was less than half of what it used to be years ago in size, but it seems to have grown since last year. We had a group of amca natl. board members there to check it out Saturday, but it was around 4:00, after alot of vendors have left, and I don't think they had a true impression of what it really was during the busy hours.

I'm sure there are those who are wondering why people keep coming back to Eustis........well after two years, and scheduling for a third, it wouldn't be happening if the promoters lost money, if the vendors didn't do well, and the shoppers didn't parts they were looking for.....well they are!

Personally, I quit coming to Eustis 5 years ago, because I couldnt justify the cost of a 1300 mile trip and closing the shop for a week. I tried it last year, and it was much more worthwhile financially, this year even way more. I'll be back next year. Thanks to all the vintage parts shoppers, and my regular customers for coming out. And to Shelby, Charles and Tom for providing a venue that is still working......only better.

Comment

It seems, based on the comments here, that both venues had a good meet this year. No reason to change things at this point. Eventually the market place will sort it out...

Comment

Originally posted by No Rush View Post
                It seems, based on the comments here, that both venues had a good meet this year. No reason to change things at this point. Eventually the market place will sort it out...
                Well said, Gloria and I returned home Friday after 28 days, two Swapmeets, great camping with Tom and Lori Faber, even had time to buy a semi-trailer full of 45, Pan, Shovel and Ironhead Sportster parts for next years meet. I am proud to be the first to say thanks to my business partners and friends in Florida who encourage us to move forward to Eustis 2014.

The Eustis meet is not about who was right or wrong about moving the National Meet to Silver Sands, but about maintaining a traditional Grass Roots Swapmeet in a Venue that we are comfortable with. The Vintage Motorcycle Alliance has already secured other Vintage Motorcycle Groups that will be at Eustis 2014. We will let them make their own announcements. Tom Faber's Campground is supported by the VMA for next year as well.

Richard Spagnolli, being a man of his word, rode out with his wife to visit us at the campground. A good conversation was had with him and Tom Faber for about an hour and a half, about items of intrest of the AMCA National Board. My input, as Board Member of the Texas Cherokee Chapter recent activities was well recieved by Richard.

On Saturday afternoon, we had several more National Board Members come by and visit us at Eustis, and I am personally glad to meet them face to face. Being unable to attend their "town hall meeting" at Silver Sands, I am thankful for their efforts to discuss current events and future plans.

Do not be too hard on Sarge for not taking pictures, He was quite busy with his "Meet and Greet" booth for the Gulf Coast Chapter. He was in his element, plenty of people looking at his sidecar rig, asking questions and him trying to explain the Gulf Coast Chapter to anyone who asked. Job Well Done, Sarge

Again Thanks to Vendors and Enthusist alike, for making Eustis a Great Country Swapmeet once again. Shelby

Comment

[QUOTE=36 knuck man;129539 I remember Farmington, I went most yrs and it was a 1000 mile trip for me, however since it moved to St. Paul I have not been back. " end quote

I also had a preference for Farmington, but now enjoy what I can of the meet at St Paul. Darned few vendors, rain as always, plenty of bikes in the great hall, lot of room for camping, and rest room/shower/LAUNDRY facilities so pristine you'd think there was a bidet in every stall! ... that's the low and the high of it.

Glad to read here, that Eustis is alive and surviving. I was there in 2003, and was reminded of Farmington. Good for all of you!

and now, as for New Smyrna (sp?), would someone please offer some comment? I expect pro and con, but I have a friend who just got back from there on a Florida trip, and he was pretty disappointed. "Where are the bikes?", was his first comment. He mentioned "horse barn", but did not disparage any further, except to mention that the meet was not the primary focus of his trip from here in the midwest. I just wish the meet could have left a better impression on him, as he is fresh into retirement.
                  So how about some positive feedback on New Smyrna? Ya know, the AMC mag won't get a "pretty" report out until what, fall or winter issue? So how about current report like the Eustis fellas did. Tell us what was good, how many vendors, how many at the gate, the camping, the bikes, the field events, the display hall, etc. Don't mean to be challenging here, maybe you were in a quiet spell when my friend visited. Just give us a report on what the meet did for its AMCA membership.
                  Thanks in advance.

Comment

[QUOTE=fillibuster;129829][QUOTE=36 knuck man;129539 I remember Farmington, I went most yrs and it was a 1000 mile trip for me, however since it moved to St. Paul I have not been back. " end quote

I also had a preference for Farmington, but now enjoy what I can of the meet at St Paul. Darned few vendors, rain as always, plenty of bikes in the great hall, lot of room for camping, and rest room/shower/LAUNDRY facilities so pristine you'd think there was a bidet in every stall! ... that's the low and the high of it.

Glad to read here, that Eustis is alive and surviving. I was there in 2003, and was reminded of Farmington. Good for all of you!

and now, as for New Smyrna (sp?), would someone please offer some comment? I expect pro and con, but I have a friend who just got back from there on a Florida trip, and he was pretty disappointed. "Where are the bikes?", was his first comment. He mentioned "horse barn", but did not disparage any further, except to mention that the meet was not the primary focus of his trip from here in the midwest. I just wish the meet could have left a better impression on him, as he is fresh into retirement.
                    So how about some positive feedback on New Smyrna? Ya know, the AMC mag won't get a "pretty" report out until what, fall or winter issue? So how about current report like the Eustis fellas did. Tell us what was good, how many vendors, how many at the gate, the camping, the bikes, the field events, the display hall, etc. Don't mean to be challenging here, maybe you were in a quiet spell when my friend visited. Just give us a report on what the meet did for its AMCA membership.
                    Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
                    I am still disapointed that the club has no photagrapher or historian to document the meets and post pics for members enjoyment and to create a record.
                    Tom
                    Tom

Comment

Glad you asked. Actually, there is no display hall at the horse place. Almost all under-roof square-footage on the site is dirt floor, designed for the comfort, showing and performance of our four-legged friends. When it rained last year, all of our bikes were jammed into the little hallway area that has a concrete floor, near the 'office,' for judging. The sandy soil of the unpaved site doesn't hold the rainwater too long, so the puddles dry up within a day or so, and sometimes the restrooms work; last year they didn't very well. But the entire site smells of horse dung, anyway, because that's the nature of the place. If you like that aroma, it's heaven.

This year, AMCA judging was held outside in the famous Florida sunshine, thankfully. The judging went well and sans precipitation, people seemed satisfied. The spacious halls and IDEAL hard-floored display shed at Eustis was still there, but unused, for the most part. That's because the Eustis VMA meet is less formal of an affair, an old-fashioned, trade-what-ya-brung, open yer trunk swap meet, and it's forty miles down highway 44 from the three-ring, rotating blue-lighted circus that is Daytona Bike Week and the Cabbage Patch area, in a small city that welcomes antique motorcyclists with open arms, and with reasonably-priced food and plenty of cheap lodging.

A great time was had by all at both locations. Ya pays yer money and ya makes yer choice.
                      Gerry Lyons #607
                      http://www.37ul.com/
                      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                        good luck with that one.
                        Your right there Rob, we have heard from all the ones promoting the Eustis meet but wouldn't say any numbers, but did run down the "donkey park" meet at every chance....
                        Louie
                        FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                        Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
                          Your right there Rob, we have heard from all the ones promoting the Eustis meet but wouldn't say any numbers, but did run down the "donkey park" meet at every chance....
                          After rereading the posted comments and seeing Horse Place" and "Horse Barn" terms used, but finding nothing refering to "Donkeys" maybe someone is trying to inflame the issue? The smell is the same, and it IS a Horse Place!!!!!

As the only member of the Vintage Motorcycle Alliance, LLC to have posted on this thread so far, I believe my comments were both positive and supportive of both Venues continued success. I am Proud of what we have accomplished, and still a big supporter of the AMCA. As Americans we still have freedom of choice, and I will not follow lockstep with those that chose a different path I do not agree with. As a Vendor I choose Eustis Fairgrounds over Volusia County Silver Sands Horse Arena.

Of course the split made Eustis smaller than the record number of vendors in 2011, but with the new guests we have already lined up for next year we will be equal or more than S.S.

See you at Denton Farms, Shelby

Comment

Originally posted by shelbyinparadise View Post
                            After rereading the posted comments and seeing Horse Place" and "Horse Barn" terms used, but finding nothing refering to "Donkeys" maybe someone is trying to inflame the issue? The smell is the same, and it IS a Horse Place!!!!!

As the only member of the Vintage Motorcycle Alliance, LLC to have posted on this thread so far, I believe my comments were both positive and supportive of both Venues continued success. I am Proud of what we have accomplished, and still a big supporter of the AMCA. As Americans we still have freedom of choice, and I will not follow lockstep with those that chose a different path I do not agree with. As a Vendor I choose Eustis Fairgrounds over Volusia County Silver Sands Horse Arena.

Of course the split made Eustis smaller than the record number of vendors in 2011, but with the new guests we have already lined up for next year we will be equal or more than S.S.

See you at Denton Farms, Shelby
                            Sorry, all, if I seem a little pesky here, and I don't mean to disparage the National's meet when I haven't been there to see it myself. But I'm still looking for a "report" of sorts from one of its promoters.
                            (I had attempted to post a few days ago, but got the box that said I didn't have "at least 10 characters", and my "post was too short")
                            My main question is, what was in this meet for the AMCA's members? All I understand so far is that we were there in exhibit only.
                            Could someone please brag it up a little? .. without embellishing, of course.

Comment

I want to thank both "sides" and any of the chapters and individuals that sponsor and promote a meet for antique bikes. We are a small community, and without sharing would be no where. I was at Florida in 2012 for the first time, it rained, but we found cover under the horse sheds. Went back and forth between the meets. I'm only sorry the 2 meets were not consolidated to simplify going. But I understand and respect what is going on. To Fillibuster- what was in the meet for AMCA members? Every meet offers new friends and contacts to be made. Bikes to photograph for the resoration details whch cannot be learned elsewhere. Leads, and communication about parts, vendors, projects come from talking to others. This happens at every meet. Its hard enough to do a project, let alone without contacts and leads. Even if you don't come home with a part, you can come home with a lot! The main thing an AMCA National provides is a focus for us all. I think the AMCA is a glue even for the breakout or new meets. The AMCA meet also offers the member the judging. Anyone can try to have an antique meet, and as we have seen, they can be quite successful. But only the AMCA meet offers the judging aspect of the hobby which is fun and important to some of us. Yankees have had 40 years of meets- some Nationals and some Chapter or Regional meets. The National meet means we pay the AMCA a portion of vending fees and we offer AMCA points judging. Sometimes there are more people vending or shopping at a National. For me personally, I probably wouldn't have been able to get my first 45 done if I didn't stumble upon the Yankee meet in 1990. I have made so many friends and learned so much, it is amazing to meet guys that have old bikes and don't know about the AMCA, I don't know how they do it. Meets are like people- they have personalities. I have had the chance to go to Davenport 2 times, and it was awesome, Oley is a must for those of us here in the Northeast, along with Rhinbebeck and the Yankee Meet. We usuallu close out the season down at White Rose. I hope to get to Wauseon this year as a virgin. My main goal of meets is learning- looking closely at bikes to see how they are done, get photos og key areas for how they go together, and sometimes to find parts. But when I was doing my JD, it was critical to see as many as I could- and where can you see them? The meets. I want to get to Denotn, and will soon. I know this isn't a writeup about the meets in FLA, but I wanted to give my perspective on the meets in general. One of our Yankee members has been scanning old newsletter to make digital copies for the website. He made a list of the events we've had- 90 different National, Chapter, and Road Runs. What keeps the guys coming and the chapter vital? Its got to be the comradarie and friendships. We have a member Karl Nagy- been in the chapter since it was formed- 1973. Won King of the Field in the mid 80s, and sold his Chief in 2012 because he just couldn't hold her up safely. But he shows up at the road runs with his Model T. I think Karl is a symbol for all of us. Its a love. Keep the meets alive! Volunteer to help your club! If you don't know what to do, just ask. Dan
                              Dan Margolien
                              Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
                              Www.yankeechapter.org
                              Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X