No announcement yet.

Not Motorcycle Related.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huntington, Long Island here. We're on the north shore about 1 block south of the harbor. Our neighborhood looked like a war zone after the storm, but the Power Authority did one of the most outstandind jobs I've ever seen - and comming from a Heavy Marine Contractor, that's quite a compliment! Land line phone service has been restored, but cell service is still intermittant. Our internet service returned yesterday.

Last year we we had no power for over 6 days after Irene. This year we were out for 4, and this storm was much more severe. However, as of today, about 1/2 of the homes on our block are still dark. We've been helped by, and are helping family, friends and neighbors by making our home availabe for warmth, hot showers and food, as needed.

On Long Island, the north shore had the wind damage, but the south shore, as well as Manhattan and New Jersey suffered wind AND tidal surge. From the southwest tip of the Long Island barrier beaches (Breezy Point/Long Beach) all the way east to Suffolk County, there was over 12 feet in tidal storm surge. We had a wind and a moon, thus amplifying the tidal height. This is not wave height, but an increase in the mean sea level elevation. My neice was stranded on the top floor of her boyfriends house for the duration, as the bottom floor was flooded up to the ceiling. Unbeknownst to my sister, they did NOT evacuate as instructed (not a neuron between them) and she had to wade through chest-high water on Tuesday at low tide to get to high ground. Luckily the house stood during this episode. The south shore is truly a disaster, as is the Jersey shore all the way down.

I'm one of those guys who howels at the horrible excuse for a medial that routinely has it's hands in the air and its hair on fire when 'reporting' upcomming weather events. 'Storm alert, wind alert, fog alert, sun alert, pollen alert, cold alert, ice alert, humidity alert' and on and on adnauseum. Now, like the boy who cried wolf, many people did not pay attention and this real, old fashion storm took them by suprise.

Make no mistake, this one truly was the real deal and my heart goes out to those on on the south shore of Long Island and on the New Jersey shoreline. Despite our damage and ongoing inconveneince, we are very lucky compared to their recent and ongoing plight.
    Last edited by billpedalino; 11-02-2012, 09:31 AM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

Bob - you guys in Hoboken have had a horrible 2-years. I hope you're up and running to some degree of normalcy soon...
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Today from Mike Terry , a return call , finally!

Mike reported four feet of water in his man cave which his house sets atop. The house withstood the storm , salt water engulfed everything on ground level.

Mikes personal property damages have fortified his character , he is in great spirits " It could have been a lot worse" My hats off to those who endure destruction and still have a positive outlook . Rugged individuals !

joe

Comment

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
          Today from Mike Terry , a return call , finally!

Mike reported four feet of water in his man cave which his house sets atop. The house withstood the storm , salt water engulfed everything on ground level.

Mikes personal property damages have fortified his character , he is in great spirits " It could have been a lot worse" My hats off to those who endure destruction and still have a positive outlook . Rugged individuals !

joe
          Mike is GOOD !! Pan is up & running , Dave Minerva came by yesterday dropped of Kero heater, & Kero, started draining & flushing 46 Flatty, He was A big help, Nomad will run today !!! (fingers crossed),I been helping a little,
          doing what I can & some of what I can't, but learning each day.
          Oz

Comment

Hey Joe Oz, it sounds like you fared pretty well through things. I hadn't seen any postings and wondered if you were doing okay. Good to hear from you!
            Denise

Comment

Originally posted by servicardenise View Post
              Hey Joe Oz, it sounds like you fared pretty well through things. I hadn't seen any postings and wondered if you were doing okay. Good to hear from you!
              Denise
              Hi Denise,
              I did fine for some reason of which I can't explain, a few limbs & power loss for about a day & half but I had the generator ready to back feed the system (Main Off) & battened down the hatches days before, I have friends & neighbors that did not fair as well this storm was ALL they said it would be & more. I truly feel lucky as I drive around helping out where I can thanks for thinking about me. See ya at Oley
              Oz

Comment

yesterday when i was cleaning the yard i guy stops. he was looking for gas cans. none to be found he claimed. he had drove from uniondale long island, new york. that's about 120 miles away from me. he had an ipad with every hd. lowes and malmart plotted out.poor guy could not find a gas can at all. i told him to buy a colemen cooler and fill it with gas and duct tape it shut. you should have seen the look in his eyes. he thought i was crazy. he might spill the gas in his range rover.
                i guess they really do make asphalt for yuppies with suv's. i'm 25 miles west of nj. and as of saturday the nearest town with gas along rt 202.
                rob ronky #10507
                www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

For what it worth, I'm off shore of AC at the airport plenty of fuel, reg 3.53 a gal
                  Good luck with it
                  W

Comment

Jo: So good to hear of your luck, I lost an ancient Roma apple tree and lots of pine cones and pine boughs. I feel fortunate though, the two 125 year old trees in front of my house are still standing like old friends. It was messy for a lot of folks in NE OH. The folks up along the Cleveland lake shore suffered through five days of no juice. Yucko, I am in panic without greedy killowat. Luckily the gasoline powered generator shuffle works in a pinch. You just move plugs every couple of hours. It reminds me of the Douglas household on Green Acres, if you add them up and they make a ten it's too much.
                    Denise

Comment

For those who need it: http://www.saltawayproducts.com/

Heart goes out to those who have seen their lives change due to this crazy weather. I've seen a few storms in my life here in Hawaii and we've been fortunate to duck direct hits while Kauai seems to be a magnet, it is miserable to say the least what these people are hgaving to go through. Don;t get me wrong here, we have had winds gust to 125 here, Iniki time it was constant at 90 - 95 knows while the storm passed. We've lost shingles and thank my dear Lord that was the worst of it.

But for the folks that were in the impact zone and path of this beast, dealing with the vultures that seem to come from the sewers is always an issue, they'll steal you blind in a heart beat.

At one home on Kauyai, a family with the estensiuon of aunts uncles etc. were eating supper at the only house left standing within that family unit.

They werein their carport enjoying food, tlaking, singing and just being glad they survived.

THen the lights went out. They drew straws to see who would go check what happened.

They got to where there genset was and someone walked away with it. This was no small genset, pretty much a skid mount unit that would take a number of people to move it. The genset powered up their home completly with juice left over to help another family out.

They never found the genset and were then without electricty for quite some time. All the gensets in the state were on Kauai, along with hawaii National Gaurd and Fema as well as the US Navy in port powering the necessary infra structure in Lihue.

At least Kauai the weather is much fairer than the east coast. The cold that is now setting in is going to make it a lot harder on these destitute souls. As much as they think they are not destitue, they really are in the scheme of modern life in the US these days.

All I can say is donate if you can, if your close to the impact area, opening ones house as written prior goes a long way toward settling upset hearts, especialy where young children are involved. Adults can almost fathom what happened, children cannot and for them it is the worst thing that could happen short of loosing a loved one.

Comment

Working...
                      X