No announcement yet.

www.caimag.com/forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quoting exeric: "Anymore, it seems that the antique motorcycle world is only about knucks, pans, and Harley 45s." end qu

Reckon that's a survival factor, and their production numbers, Eric. Can't have anything to do with "good", can it? (sarcasm)
    I do wish the Harley guys would post their subject in the appropriate threads, though. Funny they haven't invaded the Indian threads!! (Okay, it's not that bad!)
    Re; the dinosaurs, teens, and twenties bikes; I agree we see too little of them, and I'm afraid they're out of my league, showed up too late for this party, ya know? .. and there again, why isn't our Classifieds section the FIRST choice for sales and wants? Dang it!!
    On the plus side, Slojo's Cannonball I thread has absolutely been the best, and I'm hungry for more of it (big thx to Cory?!!).
    And I read everybody's chatter, cuz it's who we are.
    and now, I think I'm gonna go post an indian question on a harley thread....

Comment

Wonderfully stated Tom! Can I hear an Amen!
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
        Ditto, and I should add that I am also a Cotten fan

Comment

Being a new born to the antique motorcycle world, I thought folks might want to hear from someone who doesn't know enough to be biased or have any preconceived notions. I found the CAI site maybe 3-4 days after I found this site and joined AMCA. I do visit CAI though infrequently compared to this site where I visit an average of 2 times per day. I have over 20 posts here and zero at CAI. So the lopsided visitation indicates which site I overwhelmingly prefer and Cotten hit most of the reasons for that in post #30.

A little food for thought;
          I belong to a Car club that has about 10,000 members.......very similar to AMCA's membership. The demographic of the car club is primarily 50 years and older. No clue what AMCA is but from what I have seen it seems to attract older and "wiser" folks. The car club also has a well moderated forum and we determined less than 10% of the membership visits the forum with any regularity and less than 4% make the majority of posts. I personally know some of the most technically skilled and knowledgeable members never visit the forum and these are the people who could make it a lot more interesting. That forum doesn't get the traffic as similar forums do that aren't associated with a club membership but it serves the purpose well offering quality over quanitity. With those numbers, it's obvious the majority of older folks don't get excited by being active in an online forum.

Not sure if there is ever space in the AMCA magazine dedicated specifically to market the forum in an effort to increase participation??? If not it might not hurt.
          Last edited by Skirted; 10-14-2012, 06:59 PM.
          Jason Zerbini
          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
            You'll hear one from me Bob!!!

I remember when I was turned on to this forum. I wasn't much of a compter dude but happened across Adminguy (a former web-dude for the newer folks) at a vintage rally and he was successful in convincing me to give it a try. I registered, logged on and decided to hang around! At the time it was pretty much THE only place to find good reliable (early to late) antique info. There was also an excellent core group of participators and many great discussions were had. Then the political rants and arguments started. It went from a good, friendly old motorcycle environment to a hostile war zone. It was mentioned by a few that the rest of "the world can read this stuff" but when there's an agenda to be had the rant must go on! Almost immediately I watched the membership fade away. I'm talking about wise members who knew their stuff, mechanical and history wise. As far as new members... why join the board to read typed out bitterness? But then there was a ray of light, only it was in another forum. Buzz couldn't have picked a better time to fire up a new site. I will give the man credit. He can really market the hell out of his stuff. People almost immediately flocked there and I recognized many names that no longer posted on our AMCA board. The new board was essentially the same, only you didn't have to be a member of a club to join. It did expand and I suppose went beyond what we have on this forum. I gave it a try for awhile but I'm sort of in the same boat as Tom Lovejoy...." I am staying here and hoping for the best." Some of the "wise ones" still frequent this board and I'm thankful for that. I'll agree with you though Eric... there's not nearly enough of the "early" anymore. To all the new forum members.... ask your questions and don't hesitate to share a project with us. I know the long timers have projects too... maybe take us along... it doesn't have to be involved as the Slojo build so don't let that intimidate you. This board, with a little jump start, could flourish again, I do believe.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
              I can't get into any of Buzz's caimag web site areas tonite. Does anybody know what is going on?
              Here is another reason people shy away. This thread started out by asking a simple question and now it has turned into a political debate (as usual) on who has the better web site. Can't we stay focused on antique motorcycle talk? I know by me responding makes me part of the debate but... really???
              1959 XLCH

Comment

Originally posted by murph View Post
                Here is another reason people shy away. This thread started out by asking a simple question and now it has turned into a political debate (as usual) on who has the better web site. Can't we stay focused on antique motorcycle talk? I know by me responding makes me part of the debate but... really???
                The thread did wander, I'll give you that. I didn't note a "who has a better web site" vibe but maybe that's just my interpretation???
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Crap, now I'm afraid to post anything for fear of being on the "wrong" thread.
                  Which one is this, anyway?
                  Maybe it should be only ONE CLASS: "Old Bikes."
                  Rich
                  Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Mast View Post
                    Ditto, and I should add that I am also a Cotten fan
                    Cotten, Cotten, He's our man. If Tom Cotten can't do it, no one can! ;-)
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                      Cotten, Cotten, He's our man. If Tom Cotten can't do it, no one can! ;-)
                      "If nominated, I will not run, and if elected, I shall not serve."..... Hused Datwun Eiffergott

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post

Almost immediately I watched the membership fade away. I'm talking about wise members who knew their stuff, mechanical and history wise. As far as new members... why join the board to read typed out bitterness? But then there was a ray of light, only it was in another forum. Buzz couldn't have picked a better time to fire up a new site. I will give the man credit. He can really market the hell out of his stuff. People almost immediately flocked there and I recognized many names that no longer posted on our AMCA board. The new board was essentially the same, only you didn't have to be a member of a club to join. It did expand and I suppose went beyond what we have on this forum. I gave it a try for awhile but I'm sort of in the same boat as Tom Lovejoy...." I am staying here and hoping for the best." Some of the "wise ones" still frequent this board and I'm thankful for that. I'll agree with you though Eric... there's not nearly enough of the "early" anymore. To all the new forum members.... ask your questions and don't hesitate to share a project with us. I know the long timers have projects too... maybe take us along... it doesn't have to be involved as the Slojo build so don't let that intimidate you. This board, with a little jump start, could flourish again, I do believe.
                        cory some guys may not talk about the stuff they have in fear of late night thefts. after a 500 000 dollar cyclone vanished. membership left in boat loads when told you needed to show your address. that may have been relaxed, but no one returned.
                        rob ronky #10507
                        www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I post mostly CAIMAG because the categories are laid out better,Mostly American and none are wasted on dead sites like Legendary build

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                            I post mostly CAIMAG because the categories are laid out better,Mostly American and none are wasted on dead sites like Legendary build
                            So Duffeycycles!

So you feel that foreign marques are pointless to the AMCA mission?

And lots of ignored and stagnant catagories are important?

Just askin'

...Cotten
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-15-2012, 06:16 PM.
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                              cory some guys may not talk about the stuff they have in fear of late night thefts. after a 500 000 dollar cyclone vanished. membership left in boat loads when told you needed to show your address. that may have been relaxed, but no one returned.
                              Excellent point Rob. It's sad but true.
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                                No Sargehere,

I cut my losses by leaving immediately, as I highly value the right to choose my own words.
                                Didn't you serve in the military to protect such freedoms? ...Cotten
                                That single go-round you're stuck on occurred years ago. The moderator in question was as new to the whole electronic "bboard" experience as the rest of us. That conduct no longer occurs on the CAIMag board. It was part of the growing and learning process for everyone involved.

So, why carry on your boycott/bitterness over something that is long-past history? The problem was resolved, has never again recurred, and we've all grown in our knowledge of what it means to post to an antique motorcycle bulletin board. You're the only one still holding up a "strike" sign over a dispute settled long ago. Bitterness is all it is, Tom; one-way, pure, bull-headed orneryness, and will get you nowhere. Life's too short.
                                Gerry Lyons #607
                                http://www.37ul.com/
                                http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X