No announcement yet.

www.caimag.com/forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anemic is an under statement. Over 30 thousand posts in the parking lot chatter. And a meager 4 thousand in any one of the panhead or Knucklehead sections. That about sums up what people want to talk about here in the AMCA forum. Pretty much anything but vintage motorcycles. That is why I chose to post my knucklehead build in another forum.
    AMCA 26656

47EL
    47WL

Comment

It is what you make it.
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

"Over 30 thousand posts in the parking lot chatter. And a meager 4 thousand in any one of the panhead or Knucklehead sections." That may be because it doesn't really matter WHICH section you post on, it all shows up. I have flatheads and have several posts, haven't a clue what section(s) I posted in. Always received responses anyway. I followed Cannonball daily so my views were no doubt counted. Was that on parking lot chatter or ? Don't know, don't care. I look at "new posts" every day, if it's about old bikes I'll read it.
        Rich.
        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          You won't find me supporting that site, ever.

....Cotten
          Like everyone else, you are always welcome at the www.caimag.com forum.
          Buzz Kanter
          Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
          [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
          [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Kanter View Post
            Like everyone else, you are always welcome at the www.caimag.com forum.
            Folks,

Mr. Kanter emailed me with a personal invitation to join his new forum. and I accepted.
            Within just a few weeks, his "super moderator" began entering my posts and editing them to serve his personal agenda.
            My protest to Mr. Kanter brought the response:"I don't want to hear about freedom of speech."

For a publisher to be so insensitive to the very foundation of his own welfare means he suffers either the peak of arrogance, or the depths of ignorance.
            Either way, I shall not support anyone or anything that distains the rights and values that so many have sacrificed life and limb to secure for us.

"American" in his publication name is gratuitous use for commercial gain only.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              I love the caimag forum and there is a lot of activity there but I am bothered by the fact that the AMCA site is so anemic. What really bothers me is the incredible knowledge that exists in our club, but how selfishly those people keep that knowledge to themselves. The caimag forum is great for Harley-Davidson information but why isn't the AMCA forum the place to go for early motorcycle information, and obscure marques. The true antiques are going to die on the vine with the apathy you find here. That is the main reason I rarely post anything here. . . . What's the point.
              Eric, I think we need look no further than the actions of the different boards over the last 10 years. It has turned people off. I still gaze here and other places occasionally, but not nearly every day like I used to.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                I love the caimag forum and there is a lot of activity there but I am bothered by the fact that the AMCA site is so anemic. What really bothers me is the incredible knowledge that exists in our club, but how selfishly those people keep that knowledge to themselves. The caimag forum is great for Harley-Davidson information but why isn't the AMCA forum the place to go for early motorcycle information, and obscure marques. The true antiques are going to die on the vine with the apathy you find here. That is the main reason I rarely post anything here. . . . What's the point.
                I usually find myself agreeing with with you, Eric, and you speak for me again, here.
                Maybe we need more argument (maybe I didn't say that!). .. heck! the suggestion box would be way too full, Mr Wood would go crazy. But I don't want to feel powerless to help things, either.
                The first thing I would do is appoint somebody else to brighten things up! (.. then hide)

Comment

I am saddend to see this post, as I like this site and the AMCA. Hopefully it will git better and more active, lot's of us still trying to learn. I hope the situation will improve, hope you knowledgeable folks well hang in there with the rest of us. I usually enjoy reading the post, don't give up - Exeric,Phill,Silentgreyfello and many others. I will check out the caimag forum, but I am staying here and hoping for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                    You won't find me supporting that site, ever.

....Cotten
                    Your loss, Tom. That was a silly misunderstanding you still carry like a chip on your shoulder from many years ago that was completely resolved. The only party you injure is yourself. Life's too short. I knew people like that. 'Know that they went to their graves still holding silly animosities towards their fellows. Life's too short, Tom. And the older we get, the more we realize it; most of us do.

I still refer people over there and everywhere to Liberty for your excellent Linkert/Schebler floats.
                    Gerry Lyons #607
                    http://www.37ul.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                      Eric, I think we need look no further than the actions of the different boards over the last 10 years. It has turned people off. I still gaze here and other places occasionally, but not nearly every day like I used to.
                      you guys miss one thing buzz draws from an open enrollment world wide anybody can join. this forum only allows club members to join. so you are limited to 12,000 who may join. i know of a few club menbers who for one reason or other cant join up they have tried to no end and failed. failed so hard the gave up. the site would not allow them to sign up
                      rob ronky #10507
                      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I have been a member both here and caimag for the same amount of time. I didn't have much knowledge at the time and was desperate to get it. Once I was able to get on a steady pace with things I decided that I didn't want anyone to go through what I did trying to learn, so I started to post my builds. I have to admit I went to post on a site where I was met with less abrasiveness rather than cast stones. It didn't seem anyone here had time unless your motorcycle was a knuck or a pan. I linger here though, so rather than bicker about who did what to whom, How can I help to fix it. What makes me shy away from here is when your met with attitude on a post that was legitimate. Scroll back a few you'll see what I'm talking about.
                        1959 XLCH

Comment

I have to say that members like Cory are what make the AMCA forum still worth comming to. His passion for early bikes is what this club used to be about. Anymore, it seems that the antique motorcycle world is only about knucks, pans, and Harley 45s. I love those bikes as much as anyone, but there is a whole universe of American motorcycle history that goes ignored. I've actually had "motorcycle" guys laugh at my Merkel, which is something I would only expect from a slack jawed yokel at a tractor pull. My complaint about the lack of early motorycle interest goes further than just this forum. I think there is a general lack of interest in early motorycles unless they're modified for the Cannonball thing. Maybe it's because early bikes are not good riders, or the lack of documentation, and parts scare people. Whatever the case, I have seen big changes in this hobby and that's where my negative statement came from. Regardless, I'll continue to visit here. As for the AMCA's reputation for being a contentious forum; I think those days have passed. I've seen as bad, or worse on the caimag forum.
                          Last edited by exeric; 10-14-2012, 08:53 AM.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

I visit a few different forums and here are some numbers for you........

AMCA forum..................2,800 members
                            CAI forum.....................8,000 members
                            Old Mini Bike forum......29,000 members
                            Motor Bicycle forum .....37,000 members

I think the AMCA is the only one you need to be a "club (paying) member" of. I visit all of them as I did various cannonball sites. I agree the CAI is a good site for the Harley's but go to this site for the other and obscure makes.
                            Eric, anyone that would laugh at a Merkel must be an idiot.
                            Maybe the AMCA needs to follow some of the those other sites like the motor bicycle site, if they want to get younger members involved. Not everyone has hand me down knuckleheads and panheads from daddy to ride and work on.
                            Oh well off the computer and back to the garage......
                            Louie
                            FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                            Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I agree on the money issue, if this site was free to post on you would get a lot more diverse crowd. Money changes people like it or not. Maybe if non members were able to post and express there input for the hobby they may like it and join. JMO
                              1959 XLCH

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
                                Your loss, Tom. .
                                No Sargehere,

I cut my losses by leaving immediately, as I highly value the right to choose my own words.
                                Didn't you serve in the military to protect such freedoms?

It was Mr. Kanter's commercial loss, not mine: Why do you think he went out of his way to personally invite me in the first place?
                                Because I dig in dumpsters?

Folks,
                                Websites are like gas stations, taverns, and other rest stops on the highway: they are all entertaining to a degree, but some are traps, while others are essential.
                                This AMCA forum is essential on the 'information highway', as the broader motorcycle sites push advertisements, banners, data miners, and live links to generate revenue, and often are moderated by callous and selfish interests.

It is up to the Membership to make this AMCA forum beneficial to vintage motorcycling.
                                We are responsible for its content.
                                This is the best place to encourage youths and ladies, as most need not be exposed to trashy banners for "bikers singles" sites and other life-styler come-ons.
                                This is the best place to search for accurate information, as many industry leaders participate, perhaps for no other reason than this forum is not so noisy, and "tribal".

Enjoying those hundreds of other sites is great, if and when you need to banter anonymously, but vintage motorcycling still needs a clean, honest, and healthy environment to share information, and grow.

....Cotten
                                Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-14-2012, 05:04 PM.
                                AMCA #776
                                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                                X