Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin's Bobber Build

Hello All,
    I have a 13 year old that has more than a spark of interest in old bikes, it is actually a blaze!!
    His name is Austin, he is an A-B student, plays Football, Rides Quads and is just a really good kid (mental note check DNA results no way he's mine).
    Austin asked me if he could build his own Bobber to take to the meets.
    What could I say (after I cleared it with his Mother) well hell yea!!!!!
    Anyway some friends in the Bluegrass Chapter sent an E-Mail (thanks Brian) about another member selling some of his bikes and projects. Tim Schumacher was the member and had a 42 WLA project for sale. I spoke with Tim about my son and he was excited that a younger person was interested in old bikes. Needless to say we made a deal for the 42.
    Tim already had alot of the work done ie Motor, Transmission and frame and that was good for me.
    I have enough projects of my own and I didnt want Austin to lose interest if work stopped on his project.
    His goal is to have it complete by the Davenport meet so he can show the finished bike to Tim. I understand that the theme this year is Bobbers, Custom Period Modified and Choppers so he can fit in there also.
    If yall dont mind we will post his project updates from time to time.
    Keep in mind he is 13 so the welding, painting final bolt check will be me cause I answer to the previously mentioned Mother.
    Austin will be keeping up with the forum so if you have any positive comments or ideas let us know.
    Tim, Austin and myself mocked the bike up for the ride home so it will be taken apart and put together by Austin for Austin. All the color choices and finish of hardware will be Austins to decide.
    Should be a fun journey.

Photobucket

This is going to be great to watch. Bobbers are my favorite and to watch a father passing the torch to his son is like icing on the cake. Austin, listen to your old man and you'll have a great bike that you'll still be riding when your his age.
    Last edited by Ohio-Rider; 06-12-2012, 02:18 PM. Reason: Can't spell
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

Tear down starts.
      Photobucket
      zip lock bags for the hardware, this kid is strange about things in order.
      As you can tell I could care less just look at my shop.
      You should check out his tool boxes, everything and I do mean everything is in order.
      Photobucket
      More
      Photobucket
      His least favorite thing to do (probably cause I make him do all mine, its good to be King)
      Photobucket

Comment

Ever try getting your 13 year old to give you a hug and hold still for the camera
        Photobucket
        Victory (after reminding him I brought him in the world and I can take him out)
        Photobucket

Comment

After a full 9 hour day Bead blasting, Parkerizing, wrenching, sorting, tagging and putting up with my crap little man is wore out.
          Photobucket

Comment

Keep up the good work....looking forward to seeing the progress and the finished product.

Comment

That's great stuff man. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. I got a 16 and a 18 year old that work in the shop with me all the time but still don't have that I want my own thing yet. It seems the broad thing is more important but I'm holding out hope. It's the Austin's in this world that is what this is all about. Good luck on you project. Bob L
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

"By Austin for Austin". I like that! This will be a great thread to follow. That young fellow is gonna be the coolest kid in school!!! Thanks for sharing this with us!!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Very cool, this thread has alot of potential and I am looking forward to it. Go for it you two and have fun Austin!

Comment

Tim had hardware chrome but Austin seems to be leaning towards Parkerized and Cad plated hardware. He likes original bikes. He has a passion for Knuckleheads and is actually pretty sharp on the Pre War knucks. If you see him at the meets point at a knuck that is original and he will rattle off the year and point out why. He gets some strange looks from the old timers but I think its pretty cool.
                    Some of the bolts and things I dont have on the shelf we will swap out as the build progresses ie chrome motor bolts.
                    Photobucket
                    Tranny is in and Austin is installing the nuts snug but not tight.
                    Photobucket
                    Photobucket Installing a freshly Parkerized Clutch lever and front sprocket cover nuts.

Comment

I have quite a few NOS nuts and bolts in my stash. Let me know what you need and I will donate what I can to the build.

Comment

Originally posted by cdndewey View Post
                        I have quite a few NOS nuts and bolts in my stash. Let me know what you need and I will donate what I can to the build.
                        Thank you very much for the very generous offer.
                        Austin is making a list of what he needs as we speak and will pay a fair price for parts as needed.
                        Got to teach him value and negotiation skills.
                        Carl Olsen told me at Dentin this year Kids want to push a button and there it is, I agree.
                        I want Austin to sweat, bust knuckles, troubleshoot and in the end see what hard work brings.
                        Pride, Craftsmanship, Knowledge and Success
                        Hope it works.....
                        Again thank you

Comment

Austin asked me what the cups on the frame behind seat are for.
                          Ain't gotta clue, my guess is for a buddy seat but I have never seen them used.
                          I am not a WLA person actually the first I have layed my hands on. I stick to Pans and Knucks. Anybody have a pic of these in use or can explain what they are?
                          Thanks
                          Photobucket
                          You remember the tool boxes I said were way to neat for a 13 year old, well here you are.
                          Ph<a href=Photobucket
                          Austin checking if I messed with his tools while taking pics, can't believe he dosn't trust me
                          Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by knuckcrazy View Post
                            Austin asked me what the cups on the frame behind seat are for.
                            Ain't gotta clue, my guess is for a buddy seat but I have never seen them used.
                            I am not a WLA person actually the first I have layed my hands on. I stick to Pans and Knucks. Anybody have a pic of these in use or can explain what they are?
                            Thanks
                            Photobucket

No they're not for the buddy seat. I've wondered for a lot of years what they're for and nobody has been able to tell me yet.

Comment

Would you believe the cups are for the upper side car mount, right or left hand side car.

Comment

Working...
                              X