1912 H-D 49" Belt Drive Twin Model X-8-D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1912 H-D 49" Belt Drive Twin Model X-8-D

I am in search of detailed photos factory or otherwise, or information on these interesting machines?

My build process is nearly complete of a freewheel clutch version yet a few unanswered questions have not been addressed.

joe

This is all I have without digging too deep. I'll see if I can locate a good photo.

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Thank you Cory

Unfortunately the photo you posted is one of two photos I already have. The photo you sent is the same photo from the factory sales brochure of a model 8 D, no clutch.

joe

Comment

Image search with Google; you might dig about here.
        http://www.google.com/search?q=1912+...bm=isch&tab=wi
        Broader search:
        http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...iw=852&bih=532
        Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Joe!

Geez.... close but no cigar eh? Of course...no clutch!!! I've gone through most of my photos and no X-8-D!!! I haven't gone through all of my books yet. I did hit the internet and only came up with this.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-HARLEY-...-/290379799460 so I'm guessing there may be one of these at the Museum???
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Joe, what exactly do you need pix of? I may have what you need.

Comment

if your looking for photos of the free wheel zoom in on this bonhams shoots in high rez. you can get a good view. keep clicking on the photo i know it's a single.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18346/lot/112/
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Ahh...man. I think I've come down with a case of belt drive fever!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                      Joe, what exactly do you need pix of? I may have what you need.
                      Any photos pertaining to this bike, especially close up details.

It seems the factory did not take photos of the 1912 Model X-8-D.

What little information I have turned up does not correspond to the parts books I am comparing to. Do I detail the bike based on photos (prototype or modification over the years can alter accuracy ) or parts books (up dates/replacement parts)? They both have their failures.

Some points of interest are, spark throttle decompression items, twist grip RH , LH directions , differences in the left pedal crank from single to twin for 1912, which style of carb intake horn below float. what about gas cap location (centrally located or rear ward located) , what type of tool box door angled or square? Some of these issues I can not change from my current build others are still alterable.

It appears some 1912's came without front fender valances. Did the control cable push or pull the throttle open and was it hooked to a bell crank (like the singles) as one photo I have viewed or is it directly connected to the carb as parts books lend you to believe?

I can build this bike many different ways but would like to make it correct if possible. A 1912 only parts book would be nice reproduction is ok if they exist.

Joe

Comment

Lonnie

What a great pair of photos !

The angled clutch lever resembles a narrowed 1913 lever and is not straight like a single lever although it appears to have the small pivot hole for the 1912 style pivot stud. There's no flange on the inside of the front pulley, has it broken off or was it made that way and is the outer flange still a pressed steel plate or a cast flange as part of the pulley? The belt lever gate appears to be mounted forward more than the single cylinder bikes, is this an original placement? Perhaps clearance for the clutch lever?

Each step forward opens even more questions on this project. This model bike has the least H-D factory information available of any bike I have worked on. Based on the minimum information the bike could be built many different ways and all are disputably right and wrong.

I am trying to finish this bike this month (May 2012) so I can get to work on my Cannonball bike upgrades and maintenance. After Cannonball I will be running the Barber Century race on this 1912 so it needs to be finished right away. I hope to be riding it around at Wauseon and Davenport this year instead of a static display as it was at Oley.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                          This is all I have without digging too deep. I'll see if I can locate a good photo.

Note the forward mount gas caps on this factory photo Cory posted

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                            Based on my research this particular forward leaning clutch lever (pictured above) appears to be commonly used on 1912 chain drive models. Although nothing is for certain on this model bike.

Joe

Comment

Wow, it looks like you've got your work cut out for you Joe! I'm knee deep in yard work today but I'll hit the books tonight to see if I can find anything.
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X