Found a Old Engine today, need help on ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a Old Engine today, need help on ID

Found this at a swap meet, I am sure the bottom of the engine must had had a clamp to bolt it to the frame and it would have said Columbia on it, was this a large version of a "whizzer" type conversion for a Columbia bicycle?, Its about the size of a Harley single, appears to have a gearbox or clutch on the side
    thanks Tim0505021100.jpg0505021058.jpg0505021059.jpg0505021100a.jpg0505021059a.jpg
    Last edited by tst; 05-05-2012, 07:25 PM.

it would be hard to mount that on a bike. the mounting clamps run parallel to the out put shaft. bike would need to be shaft drive. it could be from some kind of small railroad car.
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I know that the Pope Manufacturing Company made a Columbia motorcycle. I don't think the engine looked like that though. It's an interesting piece. Nice find! Hopefully somebody trips along this thread and can answer your question.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Rob! I was wondering the same thing or perhaps a cyclecar?
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

I found this in CT. today which as I recall where Pope and Columbia came from, I was hoping the "early" experts would know more about it, found it at an antique tractor show, caught my eye right away
          Tim

Comment

Hi Tim, my quess would be a 1902 Columbia Petrol Motor Carrier tricycle motor. The attached diagram looks similar to me. See what you think. Seeing as you found it in Ct. and Columbia was built in Hartford it just might be.

Dick
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dick, I bet you are right, it looks just like that drawing, even has the priming cup on it just like the drawing, I need to go where the engine came from and look for more parts now that we have a clue what it came from, if any one has a picture of a 1902 Columbia Petrol Motor Carrier tricycle motor or the whole bike it sure would be helpful, this was found at an estate and they will be cleaning it out, if there is any thing left it would be a shame to see it go to scrap
              thanks Tim

Comment

Here are some photos of a Columbia Petrol Motor Carrier. It ain't purdy but it is cool! Find yourself a University Library in your area and see if they have the follwoing book. It tells you eveything you need to know to rebuild it. Or anything else prior to 1902.

Motor Vehicles and Motors, published 1902, second edition, page 291-299.

If you can't locate one in your area there is a copy at the New York Public Library and I believe it is already digitized.

Dick
                p.s. For shits and giggles I did a search for that book and it is in reprint and you can get a copy for $50-$60 buck.
                Now ain't that handy.
                Attached Files

Comment

Good detective work Dick!! That thing is cool!!! It would be a hoot at the swapmeets! Tim, let's hope there are some parts left at that estate!!!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

That is a beautiful little motor. I hope you dig further and find more pieces. I thought it was in our "Antique Motorcycle" magazine, but I have seen a picture and story about that vehicle that PEM posted. It was built on order for a large department store. I'll keep looking for the article.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the research and the tips, I have not been into the early stuff that much but have not found one before, it is a cool odd ball, will let you all know what else I find if any
                      Tim

Comment

You were right on with the info Dick, I was able to google the pages, its amazing the good details on the pages, appreciate the help
                        Tim

Comment

Your welcome Tim. I just love that old stuff. I hope you get lucky and find the rest of the tricycle. You would have quite a project.

I just recently found a v-twin motor made in Milwaukee that I or anybody else I know have never seen before. I'll post a few photos in a new thread when I'm ready. I guess this odd ball stuff is still out there.

Dick

Comment

old engine

I have had a couple of old photos of this tricycle for a long time and could never find out what it was. Now I know. This picture was taken in front of the Parliament building In Ottawa Ontario, Canada's capital. It looks like it was used to transport dignitaries around with. Not sure what year picture was taken. Tom #381
                            Attached Files

Comment

Awesome photo Tom!!!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X