safe payment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwm View Post
    i know an amca member who was pulled over on the way home from a meet. he had more cash then the state of georgia liked him to have. he lost it to the state. 2 lawyers told him to move on it would cost more to get it back.
    Just curious, how much cash was taken and what reasons were given I would STILL be on their asses , it stinks like dead fish on a hot summer day.............there needs to be a reason for it did he get a confirming reciete that they took it??
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Living in GA it sounds fishy to me also, they would have to take ME along with the cash. In GA we have the legal right to shoot people who are stealing our stuff...........
      Louie
      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I have heard of people getting their money confiscated if it "appears" to be drug money. I recommend going to your bank and getting extra "new" bank money envelopes and putting set amounts in each, a bank reciept or two doesn't hurt to have either...even an old one. If you sell at the meet put the money you earned in the envelopes for the ride home. Rubber bands and zip-loc bags can give the wrong impression.

Comment

I would think there’s a lot more to that story, times have changed but it’s still not illegal to carry large sums of money. Especially if it can be verified it came from your account. As far as making large sums of money at meets that also is not illegal as long as you pay your taxes.
          Dave

Comment

the person told me it was less then $ 5,000 in a plain white envelope. he was so worried the leo was going to take a pre 1910 bike that he didn't fight anything along side the road. local lawyers wanted more the the lost money to help.
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Fifteen or so years back. 60 Minutes did a big expose on this subject. There were states like Florida confiscating as much as $200.00 dollars off of people at a standard traffic stop. I remember one of the people they interviewed was going out west to buy plants for his nursery and they lifted $16 g off him at the airport. He was fighting it. I always wondered how it turned out. Bob L
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Yeah. I saw one regarding a woman that had 30K for a house and was traveling the East Coast. I forget what state but may have been FLA. They confiscated the money because it was "packaged like drug money". Since then I started using bank envelopes...

Comment

There has to be a reason the cop searched the vehicle.........there's always more to the story that isn't told like he just got done smoking a doob and the cop could smell it.

Comment

I heard about someone passing 100's in bank bands- he had the top 2 and the bottom 1 real and the rest fake

Comment

It wasn't Florida; it was South Carolina. Florida had the FHP officer that was profiling blacks and latins for drugs. I know a guy who was given the shake down in S.C. and he lost 2K to a S.C. county officer. His alternative was keep his mouth shut and move along, or go to jail. He contacted the attorney general for Florida,and because of the number of incidents like his; there was a major pow wow that made national news and got the U.S. attorney general involved. Apparently it was stopped and I haven't heard of any problems in South Carolina for quite a few years. My friend did not get his money back. You have to keep in mind that I-95 is a major drug route, and profiling is inevitable.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                        Any thing over 10Gs gets reported.
                        Not anymore, Bob. It is now $3000 per my banker.

Comment

go to the post office and get money orders for more the $ 900 a day. the clerk will have you fill out papers.
                          rob ronky #10507
                          www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                            i know an amca member who was pulled over on the way home from a meet. he had more cash then the state of georgia liked him to have. he lost it to the state. 2 lawyers told him to move on it would cost more to get it back.
                            I find that very hard to believe. They cannot confiscate unless there is probable cause that it is drug money. They can't search your vehicle unless they have probable cause and a warrant, OR you give them permission. What person would give them permission? I had a Montana HP pull me over for speeding. He wanted to search my rig. I asked to see the warrant, and pissed him off, got a ticket, but he couldn't search my vehicle and sent me on my way. I had a pile of cash with me on the way to Davenport. Know your rights, and stand up for them. Remember this... it is NOT illegal to have cash in your possession, and the burden of proof is on them to prove that it is illegal, not the other way around. NEVER let it get that far, though. There is no reason that they need to know there is cash with you.
                            Last edited by silentgreyfello; 04-20-2012, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
                              I find that very hard to believe. They cannot confiscate unless there is probable cause that it is drug money. They can't search your vehicle unless they have probable cause and a warrant, OR you give them permission. What person would give them permission? .
                              I moved out of Florida 8 years ago, but I'm pretty sure they passed a law about 15 years ago (their reason because of all the drug trafficking) that states no warrant is needed for vehicle searches. Maybe someone that still lives there can chime in.
                              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

In Ohio they can't search your vehicle without your permission or reasonable suspicion. Unfortunately, denying them permission to search gives them reasonable suspicion. Go figure that logic.
                                Member# 7397

Comment

Working...
                                X