panhead felts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panhead felts

what's a good glue to use to glue the felts under the panhead covers when i took the covers off the felts where just laying on the rocker arm i got new felts

The basic job of the felt is to absorb oil so there will be oil on the top end when a cold engine is started. I have pulled many apart to find the felts laying on top of the rockerblocks still doing the job they were there to do.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

does it not also absorb noise?

Comment

Originally posted by p aiello View Post
        does it not also absorb noise?
        Maybe a little bit but Chris' description pretty much covers it. It would be a pretty tall order to make a Pan top end completely quiet... I would just go to the auto parts store and find a good tube of sticky stuff that doesn't break down in oil. Zig zag it on the felts and let it set up. Then, coat them in oil for a headstart and slap them on! I've got some grey Permatex holding my felts on the valve covers.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Also make sure the holes line up with the rockers, just set the felts on top of the rockers with the glue applied, then set the covers in place. if they don't make contact, try again with some foam under the felts. Lift the covers off and make sure they're stuck...

Comment

Do the felts keep the oil on the inside of the rocker assembly, where it is needed?
            I once replaced the felts with foam (because I was smarter than Harley), and the foam fell apart, clogging the lubrication system.

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
              Do the felts keep the oil on the inside of the rocker assembly, where it is needed?
              Larry!

Felt reservoirs to supply oil for start-up after long periods of sitting was used by other marques prior to the H-D Panhead, such as for the intake rockers upon Indian Fours ('38-9 at least....)

Noise was not an issue.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I've used contact cement to glue the felts with good results on panheads. I like when the felt is crushed between the cover and rocker bushings and studs. I believe the felts, on a panhead are to reduce the ringing that can occur with a sheet metal valve cover. Lubrication by felts is not a fast start up lube. It takes heat and time for the oil to weep out of the felt. The rockers on my Ace are aided with felt lubing because there is no oil feed to the rockers. The felt becomes the oil reservoir and the rider must add oil to the felts every so often..

Comment

I, also, believe that the tight fit between the rocker assembly and the dishpan prevents the pan from resonating.

Comment

I don't know if it was intended but I believe the felt also transfers some heat to the cover and gives a slight cooling effect.
                    Kerry
                    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

The aluminum covers also helped cut down on noise as they did not resonate like the SS ones. New placement chrome steel are noisy!
                      Robbie
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I was thinking my new 64 is real quiet compared to the ridged pans I've owned, I'm sure the hydraulic lifters are mostly the reason but it does look to have aluminum covers too...Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X