Motorcycle Cannonball 2012 Update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roads

Lonnie, Roads are O.K. Low priority for repairs in that rural an area do to lack of useage and funding. Fair to good though. Gas is sparse due to low population and useage also. 395 is good and would you crossover state at 299 or 49 to 20 which is the better route. You'll be right in Rickey Najera's, Dave Kafton's, Pete Young's, and a whole bunch more's backyard. Can't wait.
    DrSprocket

Comment

i was actually looking at 299. 299 to 3 to 36 to fortuna. then down the avenue of the giants to overnight in redway. then the next day take the coast hiway into the city.
      www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Originally posted by 4thcoast View Post
        Most Henderson geeks feel there were about 18 months of KJ production out in mid 29 and done in early 31. With the exception of the headlight,horn and charging system they are all the same. No great technical leaps forward. The Vl is a pretty radical departure from the twin cam HD. I am not well read on VLs do they have recirculating oil systems ? If Cannon ball is weighted the way it was the first time, the late model bikes won't be a factor in the overall win. Just a great ride and maybe a chance for a perfect score. Part of the romance of '29 and down, with the exception of Indians, is that it is kind of the last hurrah of the pocket valve engines. But, with all racing in America historically, there has to be the HD "let something else in" clause, whether it be a displacement advantage due to push rods or a mega displacement advantage in road racing as of recently (Buell pre rotax engines). The motor company always gets an exception. What the hell, Joe, let them in. I'm with you. The more motorcyclists, the merrier.

Mark
        mark , i cant wait to see those hendersons on the road. definatly like to see an ace. this new route is going to be much more scenic ,but its also going to be alot more difficult. achieving a perfect score may not be possible.

Comment

Scenic

That route would be an eyeful. Hwy 1 will take you over the Golden gate and right in to the city. Where to you plan on landing?
          DrSprocket

Comment

rich, thanks for the insight it helps alot. hwy 1 and the golden gate will be an epic finish. currently i dont know where in the city to end the ride ,but as you pointed out ,we have alot of friends in that town ,and i'm sure we can come up with something interesting.

Comment

lonnie

We travel hwy 299 between Reading and Alturas each year when going to the Modoc Small car and pre 16 3 day run.

Great views, big valleys, plus snow covered Mt Shasta in the background watching over you for a great deal of the time.
              The road is good, quite, but traffic you do see tends to haul ass.
              I'm bias, this is my favorite place to ride an old motorcycle.

Pete will fill you in on this area all the way to San Francisco.
              He is a pro in regards to Northern California motorcycle routes.

Victor

Comment

Originally posted by 10E View Post
                lonnie

We travel hwy 299 between Reading and Alturas each year when going to the Modoc Small car and pre 16 3 day run.

Great views, big valleys, plus snow covered Mt Shasta in the background watching over you for a great deal of the time.
                The road is good, quite, but traffic you do see tends to haul ass.
                I'm bias, this is my favorite place to ride an old motorcycle.

Pete will fill you in on this area all the way to San Francisco.
                He is a pro in regards to Northern California motorcycle routes.

Victor
                thanks victor, and welcome to the site. i knew that all my friends would stear me in the right direction in northern california.

Comment

The Schwinns are coming

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                  mark , i cant wait to see those hendersons on the road. definatly like to see an ace. this new route is going to be much more scenic ,but its also going to be alot more difficult. achieving a perfect score may not be possible.
                  Lonnie,

Mr. Schwinn will offer 8 machines for the 12 cannonball that ride from the 4thcoast. It will be a true wolf pac. All of the casting dates on these machines are 29 and down #s wont be a problem at all. We will give your route our best effort. Thanks again for doing this Lonnie.
                  Mark

Comment

Lonnie,

Mr. Schwinn will offer 8 machines for the 12 cannonball that ride from the 4thcoast. It will be a true wolf pac. All of the casting dates on these machines are 29 and down #s wont be a problem at all. We will give your route our best effort. Thanks again for doing this Lonnie.
                    Mark
                    1929's casting dates , what about serial numbers on these Packers.

Joe

Comment

Numbers Game

Yeah Joe I have the #'s to match the dates. How about your VL guy. How is he going to work that magic ? Did I miss something or did the HD offer new 29 VL. Or is it carte blanche for VLs ? Hey old man you are going to have a ringer if you take the ghost, thought I was going to be dealing with Slojo twin cam....
                      Best,
                      Mark

Comment

Yeah Joe I have the #'s to match the dates. How about your VL guy. How is he going to work that magic ? Did I miss something or did the HD offer new 29 VL. Or is it carte blanche for VLs ? Hey old man you are going to have a ringer if you take the ghost, thought I was going to be dealing with Slojo twin cam....
                        Best,
                        Mark
                        Actually Mark the VL thing is disturbing to me also I was being a bit facetious. I like the idea of many bikes and riders , although it is not in the interest of the event to bring in late models. Read again my previous post about two cams to get the pun. The idea of early bike rules is to get early bikes in the event not late model.

No special bike build for 2012 the Ghost has all the modifications required with tires, rims and brakes it will do good again I am sure.
                        Joe

Comment

I know where your head is at Joe, the VL thing bugs me also. I have no doubt the ghost will make the run. The early bikes are the show. I look forward to ghost hunting. I picked up the humming bird (Frank's Cannonball Henderson) from Frank's shop yesterday, she has a couple big rides post Cannonball and some fair grounds run around time on her. I am going to take the bike to the University, let her hang on display a week, then look inside and see just what made that little 4 cylinder tick. Anxious to look at pistons and babbitt wear. I suffered no valve train recession, so I know I'm good there. We'll try to post some pics on the Cannonball firing order 1342 thread.
                          Best,
                          Mark

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
                          Actually Mark the VL thing is disturbing to me also I was being a bit facetious. I like the idea of many bikes and riders , although it is not in the interest of the event to bring in late models. Read again my previous post about two cams to get the pun. The idea of early bike rules is to get early bikes in the event not late model.

No special bike build for 2012 the Ghost has all the modifications required with tires, rims and brakes it will do good again I am sure.
                          Joe

Comment

I have a '35 VL can I go? It's just like a early 30 (29?), please let me go....
                            Seriously, are there early VL cases marked 29? If not, they don't meet the rules, right?
                            Louie
                            FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                            Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I know where your head is at Joe, the VL thing bugs me also. I have no doubt the ghost will make the run. The early bikes are the show. I look forward to ghost hunting. I picked up the humming bird (Frank's Cannonball Henderson) from Frank's shop yesterday, she has a couple big rides post Cannonball and some fair grounds run around time on her. I am going to take the bike to the University, let her hang on display a week, then look inside and see just what made that little 4 cylinder tick. Anxious to look at pistons and babbitt wear. I suffered no valve train recession, so I know I'm good there. We'll try to post some pics on the Cannonball firing order 1342 thread.
                              Best,
                              Mark
                              "ghost hunting, ghost hunting" ? Hmm???, Is the Humming Bird coming along in 2012 ?

I have been busy on another project actually three projects.

The Ghost has 6500 miles on it now and has sat for the last month or more while working on the other projects.
                              Valve guides and springs will be required to prepare the Ghost for round two 2012, by then a new rear tire also, the third.

Joe

Comment

I am planning to take part in the cannonball and hope to ride a 1929 JD. The discussion on eligibility for this event makes interesting reading.
                                Lonnie, the organiser of this event has stated in this thread that “bikes made before 1930 can enter”. “Bikes proven to be built in 1929 can enter” “If it was built in 1929 it’s good to go”
                                Slojo also said in one of his posts that “early production Vls of 1929 build dates welcome”
                                Harley-Davidson produced about 10000 V models for the 1930 model year.
                                As was normal at that time and still current practise today Harley built up a stock of new models and released them at the end of summer. In 1929 it was August. I don’t know how many V models they actually built in 1929 but I suspect it could have been as many as 5000 making a bike with a motor number in this region eligible.

Pete Reeves. 860

Comment

Working...
                                X