Motorcycle Cannonball 2012 Update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Cannonball 2012 Update?

Lonnie, any official word yet on your plans for a possible Motorcycle Cannonball next year?

Lots of interest, but it will drain away of everyone is left in the dark too long.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

well i'm going to relaunch the website and announce the 2012 event on sept. 9th. all bikes made prior to 1930 can enter. it will be coast to coast starting in new york. taking in the museums in newburg ,milwaukee and anamosa. the western part of the route is still up in the air, but i'd like to end it in san francisco. there's alot of interesting route options out west going towards the coast. most of the northern ones look the best. currently i have 21 riders signed up, only 7 of them are returning cannonballers. 4 riders are from europe. mostly AMCA members {thanks bill wood}. about half of those signed up are on JD's. mark hill's wolf pack up north has been churning out KJ's for almost a year now in anticipation of 2012. he has 6 in the running so far . rumor has it slojo will return on the ghost. i anticipate about 40 riders. it'll probably be alot more riding and alot less promotional stops and fanfare. if anyone is interested, let me know.
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Right on Lonnie!, the excitement and anticipation begins.

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
        well i'm going to relaunch the website and announce the 2012 event on sept. 9th. all bikes made prior to 1930 can enter. it will be coast to coast starting in new york. taking in the museums in newburg ,milwaukee and anamosa. the western part of the route is still up in the air, but i'd like to end it in san francisco. there's alot of interesting route options out west going towards the coast. most of the northern ones look the best. currently i have 21 riders signed up, only 7 of them are returning cannonballers. 4 riders are from europe. mostly AMCA members {thanks bill wood}. about half of those signed up are on JD's. mark hill's wolf pack up north has been churning out KJ's for almost a year now in anticipation of 2012. he has 6 in the running so far . rumor has it slojo will return on the ghost. i anticipate about 40 riders. it'll probably be alot more riding and alot less promotional stops and fanfare. if anyone is interested, let me know.
        Good news. Please keep us up to date as you finalize details.
        Buzz Kanter

Comment

The Schwinns are coming

I started a year ago. I came back from the first one stoked. Glad to hear seven of the original C-ballers are coming back. I ran into Buzz at Wheels Though Time a few weeks ago, he was headed to mountain fest to campaign a hot rod JD. I heard Gentleman Jim Petty was there also. Old motorcycles actually being used. This is what you have done Lonnie, fairgrounds in the rearview mirror where they belong. I cannot wait for 2012. Lonnie, I may have an ACE up my sleeve. Best of luck for all.

4th Coast
          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by 4thcoast View Post
            I started a year ago. I came back from the first one stoked. Glad to hear seven of the original C-ballers are coming back. I ran into Buzz at Wheels Though Time a few weeks ago, he was headed to mountain fest to campaign a hot rod JD. I heard Gentleman Jim Petty was there also. Old motorcycles actually being used. This is what you have done Lonnie, fairgrounds in the rearview mirror where they belong. I cannot wait for 2012. Lonnie, I may have an ACE up my sleeve. Best of luck for all.

4th Coast
            Mark
            Hi Mark. The plan was to race Selma, my 1915 Harley in one class and the '26 J in a handshift class in the MOuntainfest Vintage Grand Prix. Troubles there with the brakes on the '26 took it out of running, but Selma ran strong and fast and beat the teo 1915 Indians in my class. Lots of fun on these old machines.
            Buzz Kanter

Comment

vils and i were talking about running up the anamosa hillclimb for extra points. wonder how the hendersons and jd's would match up.

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                vils and i were talking about running up the anamosa hillclimb for extra points. wonder how the hendersons and jd's would match up.
                The JDs might be OK, not sure abotu those long and sexy in line four cylinder Hendersons would fare.
                Buzz Kanter

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Kanter View Post
                  The JDs might be OK, not sure abotu those long and sexy in line four cylinder Hendersons would fare.

I don't know Buzz.... It appears as though the Hendersons should be able to hold their own. Here's Wells Bennett climbing Mt. Hood in 1924 and he's on snow to boot!!!

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Right on Cory, I have never seen that photo before - to cool!

Comment

if you were coming from highway 6 in northern pennsylvania you could stay on 6 and drop down into cleveland. or from highway 6 in northern pennsylvania you could take highway 6 north and cut over to highway 20 which runs along the coast from erie to cleveland. i dont know anything about cleveland. is highway 20 any good? where's the bad parts of town? what is highway 6 like leaving the west side of cleveland? how is highway 6 west of cleveland along the coast? what if you were traveling thru on a saturday afternoon? traffic,scenery,road conditions,etc.

Comment

Hwy 6

Lonnie, I have ridden that same route on a bike. Hwy 6 out of PA. over to Hwy 20 Ohio and through Cleveland. It was fine except Hwy 20 comes in the, how can I say this and not often anyone, the lesser desirable section of Cleveland. like eastern St. Louis or eastern Kansas City. Just sayin'. Enjoyed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame too! Right on the lake in the near downtown area. Before Hwy 90 was up and running Hwy 6 and 20 were the highway. Lot's of americana as I remember it.
                        DrSprocket

Comment

rich ,you read my mind . my aim was to be able to see the rock and roll museum. possibly on a lunch stop. i have heard west of cleveland hwy 6 is nice all the way to sandusky ,along the coast. with sandusky being a possible overnight stop before heading towards muskegon on sunday.

Comment

Lonnie

Once in Michigan US 12, Michigan Avenue runs all the way to the west coast.

Joe

Comment

joe, i was considering taking hwy 6 out of sandusky ,west all the way to just south of elkhart where we would head north on hwy 15 which jogs into hwy 40. hwy 40 will take us all the way to holland. do you know anything about 40? i think we would make great time in the morning heading west on hwy 6 {cause there's nothing out there},which is good ,because the last ferry leaves muskegon at 4:45.

Comment

Working...
                              X