No announcement yet.

AMCA Century Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they should be for all bikes 100 years old, by the time everyone has one, I'll be over 100 years old and probably not running. I do think the bike should be in running order, what good is a bike that don't run no matter how old it is?
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I agree with Joe on this one, however, I would make the cutoff at 1914 to exclude the 3 speed revolution of 1915. As Joe said, this is the ANTIQUE Motorcycle Club of America and as such, I think a peanut should be thrown to the pioneer motorcycles that made everything that followed, possible. Also, the survival rate of any pre-WW1 motorcycle is remarkable in itself considering how many belt drive and pedal start bikes got hauled to the scrap yard after 3 speed motorcycles arrived. Such an award has to mean something, otherwise we should give out trophys for just being the best YOU, you can be.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

" Such an award has to mean something, otherwise we should give out trophys for just being the best YOU, you can be. " Well said Eric.

Pride in owning a 100 year old motorcycle is sufficient. Should pan heads receive awards for being 100 ? The pre 1916 bikes have special meaning and should stand out from all others. As for the inclusion of the 1915 model year this is a standard throughout the antique motor industry and should be held for good reason.

Joe

Comment

OK so what about my 1916 Miami? I'm sure there are fewer of them than a 1915 Harley and I know it's not worth as much, so I can't have a small round piece of metal saying it's special?
          Louie
          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Louie

Your Miami is a special bike no doubt, although inclusion of 1916 will bring 17 18 19 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 and so on. How else can we establish pre 1916 bikes aside from the rest as an exclusive vintage? The pre 1916 (really pre 1910) bikes are not cut of the same cloth, they are the true pioneering bikes of our motorcycling culture.

It is not the medallion it is the recognition. Two bits and a cheesy medallion will get you a cup of coffee. This is not about bike value.

Louie re-read my first post on this subject just a few posts north of this comment. Next, sell your 65 pan head and go in search of another early bike, then join us in the pre 1916 circle.

Joe

Comment

Seems to me that some people are never happy, and refuse to see the intention of recognizing that the glass is half full. A 100 year old bike is an accomplishment, no matter how in-significant it may seem to some. I don't know where this cool award originated (Kevin, was it you?), but it sure is pretty cool. The un-intended glitch that caused this riff was acknowledged by Don D.
              But to go on and bicker about what machine shouldn't be recognized when it's 100 is a bit much. I fully understand the stigma of the Pre-'16s. I have a few myself; one even a single speed. (I bet someone is shaking their head because it isn't a belt drive). I'm just surprised at the amount of complaining I guess. Would it have been better if the Century Award was never thought of, or orchestrated? Should it just be withdrawn?
              My feelings is that it's a step in the right direction. I had absolutely NOTHING to do with it's construction, or inforcement. I just thought it was a cool thing, that reflected someone in the Club thinking positively. The Century Medalian is a Class Act, and truely honors the bikes it reflects at this time, and for a few more years to come. Perhaps, later, when more "mundane" machines get enveloped under this criteria, we can formulate a "Pioneer" Madialion for Pre-'16s if need be.
              For now, I'm thankful that some recognition is alive and well.
              RF.

Comment

Fred
                I cannot take credit for it, my post yesterday stated that it was Doug Strange that came up with the idea for this award.
                I do know that from 2001 to the end of 2009 there were 25 given out.
                Kevin Valentine 13
                EX-Chief Judge

Comment

RF
                  This is not a "bicker" section nor a complaint department just open conversation of an interesting issue. You are heading down the wrong path here. Relax
                  Joe
                  Last edited by Slojo; 07-27-2011, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Isn't the real trophy the motorcycle itself???

Comment

it will be more impressive if someone can keep a 2003 harley running till 3003.
                      rob ronky #10507
                      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Maybe RF has a good idea with something different or special for pre '16 ('15) bikes. No doubt they are the beginnings of what we all ride these days and should be recognized as such. I've been wanting one of the century medallions since they came out, took a ride on my 91 year old bike yesterday but it seemed pretty modern compared to a century machine.

Joe, it wouldn't take much for me to sell the pan, I've came close a few times. But it's like the rest of them, after owning it since the early '80's, I'll take it for a ride and then want to keep it...
                        Louie
                        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Maybe call it the "Pioneer" award, make it a nicer and more distinguished one and keep the Century award. And they should run.
                          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

it will be more impressive if someone can keep a 2003 harley running till 3003.
                            A thousand years? Now that would be a great trick. But what manner of humanoids might be around then??
                            Robbie

And I like the idea of a "Pioneer Award". I believe the century medallion was conceived at the turn of the last century and was a special recognition at that point in time, not really intended to continue forever. Seems to me that concept was laid out in a past issue of the mag. Perhaps I'll look for it!
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                              Maybe call it the "Pioneer" award, make it a nicer and more distinguished one and keep the Century award. And they should run.
                              This is probably the best idea so far.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

now this is a good idea, who out there is artistic enough to design something realy impresive.
                                then we just have to appeal to the board to get it passed for pre-1916 motorcycles
                                the rule is they MUST RUN and be 1915 or older(sorry Louie)

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                                Last edited by kval; 07-27-2011, 04:45 PM.
                                Kevin Valentine 13
                                EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Working...
                                X