AMCA Century Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA Century Awards

Since the subject of the "Century Award" has been mentioned in other threads, I have a few questions. Does the AMCA keep a master record of what cycles receive the award? If so, does the AMCA maintain a record of the cycles serial numbers, owner at the time of receipt, etc.? Does the AMCA issue a certificate of award to the cycle owner along with the medallion award?

Also, can the "oldest cycle award" at a meet be awarded to a cycle that is participating as a "display only" and/or one that is being "judged" or either? Is that an option of the local chapter?

As far as I know, the "Century Award" is given by the local Chapter to a bike that is 100 years, or older which is "displayed", or judged. I do not believe that any "displayed" bikes are recorded. I am not sure on the certificate for the owner at all either.
    At the Dixon, CA meet this year, I brought my '11 Indian. It never left the booth. Therefore I was not awarded anything, as I neglected to roll/ride the bike over the "Display" area, and register it for the "Display", nor did I bother to have it judged (This meet is a very busy one for me, otherwise I would have gladly done one or the other, or both).
    HTH, RF.

Comment

My imput/knowledge on the "Century Award" is first hand, as I received one. Can't remember exactly what year I bought my 1902 Keating to Oley, it either turned100 years old(2002) or was a few years after, as I'm not sure if the "Century Award" was available in 2002..
      Anyways, I did received one from Kevin Valentine @ Oley that year, and will admit to very little fanfare or questions asked! And, not surprising, as who ever heard of a "Keating" motorcycle, never mind seeing one or judging one and never mind dating one! And, if I remember correctly, there wasn't any mention in the club magizine following the Oley event pertaining to the awards/trophies given out for the C/A. I believe it was one of the first C/A's given out? And, the Keating was displayed, and not judged. Also, no certificate, just the medallion, which I'm proud to have, but just seemed like no big deal!
      Prior to Harley+ Indian--there was "The Keating"--BPK!!

Comment

Brian,

Just so you know, some of us have heard of the Keating motorcycle. But I didn't know you owned one. That is pretty cool. What is the story on that machine? How did it survive over the years? If you've told that story before I missed it.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======
        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Hellooooooo Herb,
          I talk better than type, and sometimes do not talk that well either-in other words-feel free to call, we'll chat and I'll be happy to answer any and all questions-appreciate your knowledge--BPK!! 603-298-5799

Comment

bpk

could you possibly post a few pics of your keating - as I (and others ) would love to see it

aka HAWG
            1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
            1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
            1940 indian chief military
            1965 sportster xlch
            1969 sportster xlch bobber
            1971 bsa A65 chopper
            1969 harley ss350 sprint
            1960 harley topper
            1963 harley topper
            H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
            H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
            1949 harley model 125 bobber project
            1959 harley model 165
            1960 harley super 10
            1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
            EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

Hawg+ others-look under previous thread-Early Motorcycle publications, response#13-theres pictures and reference posted there-Thanks, BPK!!

Comment

Century Medallion etc.

Hey sports fans! This year (so far)I have been filling in as the Chief Judge at the AMCA meets. I have trained under Peter, Kevin, and Robin in the days when the big controversy was should we allow a rainbow paint scheme on a Chief. I fear these simpler days are gone. Here is my take on the Century awards. I have medallions to personally give to the owner, at the meet if possible. If the owner stays through the Sunday judging, I will announce his name and machine with the other national awards. At the Wauseon meet, I made a mistake in this process. I did not realize Bob(chapter deputy judge) had not announced SloJo's 1911 Dual Belt Harley when he went through his awards. This oversight was unintentional on my part. Carl O. brought this to my attention while I was announcing the other national awards. I then gave Joe his medallion and a hand shake in front of the applause filled crowd. Again, this oversight was unintentional. I have the highest regard for members like SloJo, Dale, Tom F. Steve Barber(the list is long) that go through the extra time and expense to haul vintage machines to our AMCA meets. They help create a living, rolling museum that can answer questions!!
                The owners of the Century machines will also receive an AMCA certificate of appreciation in the mail. These certificates are personalized with the owners name, bike info, and AMCA meet info and are printed after the meet. I was not given these certificates with the judging materials I received, so I am designing new ones. This years awards will all be mailed out when this process is complete.
                I have informational records of these machines for this year(2011) only. These include the machines I personally recognized at various meets. If there are previous records, I have not found them as of yet. My records do NOT include serial numbers as these machines are seldom entered for formal judging. I hope this info helps.
                The Chief Judge position is still vacant and all resumes or recommendations should be sent to Richard Spagnoli.

Donald Dzurick
                Assistant Chief Judge

Comment

Thanks Don. If we're backfilling on this award, then I can report my 1902 Kerry has received its Century Medallion. This bike has been entered for judging three times, and received its Winners Circle at our last European Meet. My understanding is that the century bikes don't need to be judged, but do need the paperwork filled out for 'display only'. As a further shading, one-offs or prototypes not eligible for AMCA judging can still receive their century medal. I for one would be interested in a list of AMCA century bikes.

Comment

Talbot-2
                    All bikes on the field Sunday (or judging day) whether for judging or display are eligible for the chapter awards such as oldest bike. Keep in mind that the chapter does these awards not the national.
                    Louie
                    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
                      Talbot-2
                      All bikes on the field Sunday (or judging day) whether for judging or display are eligible for the chapter awards such as oldest bike. Keep in mind that the chapter does these awards not the national.
                      I'm confused....According to the "AMCA Handbook of Judging" the following eight (8) awards are listed under the category of "National Recognition Awards"....(1) Oldest Motorcycle on the field, (2) Most Unique Motorcycle on the field, (3-4-5) Longest Distance Ridden to the Meet, (6-7-8) Period Modified. It also states that "Additional awards may be offered by the host chapter(s).

Comment

Talbot-2 they are called "National Recognition Awards", but the host chapter is responsible for the purchasing and picking the winners. some chapters also give other awards, like the Perkiomen Chapter that has the "Red Wolverton Award".
                        the "Century Award" was the brain child of Doug Strange, when he was still on the board. it is provided by the national and awarded to any bike on the field when judging is done that is at least 100 years old.

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
                        I'm confused....According to the "AMCA Handbook of Judging" the following eight (8) awards are listed under the category of "National Recognition Awards"....(1) Oldest Motorcycle on the field, (2) Most Unique Motorcycle on the field, (3-4-5) Longest Distance Ridden to the Meet, (6-7-8) Period Modified. It also states that "Additional awards may be offered by the host chapter(s).
                        Last edited by kval; 07-25-2011, 02:53 PM.
                        Kevin Valentine 13
                        EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Not to sound snobbish but the century medallions should be awarded to 1915 and earlier model years only. This is a special award and will over time become worthless when everyone has one.

The uniqueness becomes devalued when everyone has a century medallion, after all, not everyone hits a hole in one at the golf course, bowl a 300 game, crack off a grand slam in a world series or take a trip to the moon on an Apollo mission you get the idea. People should strive for century medallions not just "wait until it comes around on the guitar one more time".

Don't misunderstand me here this in not a similar debate past to disallow modern Japanese bikes in the club, that was a foolish debate. We need to welcome in all players.

More people would work to get these early machines running if century medallions were limited to the early pedal style bikes. Yes they can be expensive but not always I sold a restorable1905 Erie for an average guy affordable price this year.

Perhaps this issue will not go over well when you think of the amount of post 1915 bike owners who certainly out number the pre 1916 owners. This issue is not about popularity or "democracy" (a dirty word in my book) its about preservation and display of the earliest of motorcycles in the hands of our members in the Antique Motorcycle Club of America. Perhaps a medallion every time the bike is displayed on the judging grounds RUNNING and RIDING ONLY! What good is a static display we can see these in museums any day of the week.

Joe

Comment

the Century Medallion award is like getting a birthday card when you are 100 years old. Why in the world would you not want to recognize that no matter what year the bike was made?
                            Ed Glasgow
                            # 2053
                            http://www.edsindianbolts.com/

Comment

Someone wake me up my 1922 JD just turned a hundred years old,,,,so what, tell someone who cares.
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X