No announcement yet.

old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These photos are courtesy of Tom Wilcock. They were taken at the Humber Park hillclimbs in Toronto in 1914. Great pics Tom!!!

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

• Great photos !

Do you see all those PowerPlus Indians with the failed electric start/kick start modifications ?
      William McClean
      AMCA # 60

Comment

• I like that hillclimber's helmet.......he must be "the riddler"

Comment

• Motorcycle in Chicago

This is a picture of my friends great uncle in Chicago in the early 1920's. What is the make, model and year of the motorcycle.

The guys name is Edwin Nelson sometimes he wrote it Edvin or Edmund. He is a friend of mine great uncle.

Sorry for the poor picture but it is the best I could do.

Jerry
          Attached Files

Comment

• I would guess a 1919 Excelsior Jerry. The 1919 X had the oil tank under the seat and an oil filler neck on the left side, which you can't see because of the shadow. The gas tank should only have one filler neck for gas but that's also hard to see. This bike has the heavy duty, trussed military fork which was common to most 1919's but that fork was also used for sidecar work in 1918.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

• Here's some more great photos from Tom! These three pics show Excelsior riders on a trip from Toronto to Hamilton and back in 1913.

Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• nice pics ,heres one thats similar
                www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Holy Mooly & Great Googly Moogly. Those photos are fantastic. I know they are protected...so i am not saving them to my hard drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                    Sorry for the poor picture but it is the best I could do. Jerry
                    Jerry,
                    Next time why not simply scan it instead of trying to take a picture pf a picture.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• I just noticed this on e-bay. I was thinkin' of jumping on it but they won't be shipped across the border. So I figured I'd post it here if anyone is interested......... Pretty awesome pics including Ed Kretz!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-ED-KRETZ-ETC...spagenameZWDVW

By the way cool pic Jurassic!!! Got any idea where it was taken?
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

• A couple of years ago I gave the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum over 200 ca 1938-1941 B&W 8x10s, all from the original professional negatives which I included. Subjects include: Ed Kretz, Muroc Dry Lake Speed Trials, Barney Oldfield's hill climbs, Hollister TT races, Costa Mesa TT, Oakland Speedway, Riverside AMA District 37 rally, Riverside half-mile, and various other events. I also gave the museum about 200 more original professional negatives that I couldn't afford to have developed. Per my agreement with the museum, I can continue to use scans of these pictures. I post some of them now and then on my website http://www.rolliefreebook.com . The pictures were the work of Ken Scholfield, a winning rider of speedway races (or "short tracK races" as termed then). I knew Ken and wife Mary for over ten years prior to his passing a decade ago, and Mary gave me Ken's pictures and negatives.

In 1936, Ken rode his road bike, a 45 cu. in. 101 Scout with a buddy seat, 90 miles to the Muroc Dry Lake Speed Trials, and was timed at 107.14 mph. That was really flying for those days! Ken was a free-lance photographer.

Many of Ken's pictures appeared in "Motorcyclist" in the 1938-1941 era. Some Indian fans will be familiar with a 1941 picture of Indian President Dwight Moody exiting a very shiny DC-3 at Los Angeles and being met by a host of real American Indians wearing war bonnets. This was a Scholfield picture. Some of Ken's pictures appear in my "Indian Scout" book which unfortunately is now out of print. Ken was known to old timers as "Kenny." He was the only guy I knew who still called Max Bubeck by Max's pre-WWII nickname, "Hitler." Ken had a marvelous deep baritone voice, which made me wonder why he hadn't been a successful radio announcer. Years after his passing, I learned that as a young man Kenny stuttered. Ain't life weird!
                        Jerry Hatfield

Comment

• Sorry about the double-posting. My computer was acting weird, so I didn't think the first "send" worked.
                          Jerry Hatfield

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnR View Post
                            Holy Mooly & Great Googly Moogly. Those photos are fantastic. I know they are protected...so i am not saving them to my hard drive.
                            That's good John, as that would be naughty!
                            Ken Kemp
                            Nth Queensland
                            AUSTRALIA
                            Member # 8756

47 Chief
                            2006 BMW K1200S
                            Getting seriously interested in Vincent
                            2010 Can Am Spyder RSS (The Wife made me do it!)
                            SYM 125 Scooter

Comment

• This came from an eighties issue of the club mag and I couldn't resist posting it....... These guys were thinkin'!

Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• Oh, and hey Ken how'd you make out with that storm you mentioned?
                                Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X