No announcement yet.

old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not fun to see the lack of great old photos missing because of greed on the part of Photobucket and other companies.
    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

• Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
      Not fun to see the lack of great old photos missing because of greed on the part of Photobucket and other companies.
      I don't blame PB for being opportunist, Rich!

I pity the suckers who fell for it.

Once upon a time, I signed on to ImageShack, freebee of course. It soon became obvious that it only offered more hoops to jump through: a direct upload was always easiest.

....Cotten
      PS: How many passwords do you people need to be happy?
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-01-2017, 08:51 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Here's a couple I came across today from the Keene, NH Public Library collection:

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

• I love the first picture you posted, Harry. I believe that is a 1915J as I can just see the shifter knob for the brand new 3 speed transmission. It's remarkable how flashy Harleys could be, but black and white pictures don't show the brightness, contrasts, and nickel accents like a color picture would. I know I speak for everyone here when I say, it would be priceless to see any of these motorcycles fresh out of the factory so we could see just how much attention was given to paint, and finish. The background is interesting as well. Looks like a military bivouac. Even in 1915, I'm sure everyone knew we were going to wind up in that war.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

• Good eye Eric on the 1915... the photo was labeled "1900-1920" . The second one had me scratching my head because it was labeled "bicycles"... and then I noticed overhead power lines in the background... but they're clearly early motorcycles and maybe electrification had already come to Keene, NH by the time that photo was taken.
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

• I also love the second picture. It looks like all Indians from Springfield, Mass., and 2 Marsh-Metz from Brockton, Mass., and I'll bet those gas lights are Hawthorn lights from Bridgeport, Connecticut. That was back in the days when States were like countries, and regional loyalty was very strong, particularly in New England.

I'm going to guess the year, which I think is a year, plus/minus 1908. I believe that because all the Indians have cartridge forks which were supplanted by the leaf spring fork in later 1910; but mostly because of the 2 Indian Tri-Cars in the middle of the group which were probably less attractive when motor traffic increased. Really, who in their right mind would ride in a Tri-Car in the early days of motorized transportation when Americans were first learning to drive. Also, the 2 bikes on the far left look like they might be early Indians with rigid forks. The more I look at this picture, the more I enjoy it. Thank you, Harry.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

• The second picture shows that they must not have cared about "scratches" in their paint! YIKES! GREAT photos nevertheless!!
                Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

• DSC05735.jpg Lucky to find this ad that hangs on my shop wall.
                  Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• DSC05738.jpg Found this early photo at Davenport 2016, sorry for the glare.
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• thx Harry, and Eric! still can't get THAT on Facebook.

Comment

• Telegraph or telephone wires?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]20831[/ATTACH] Found this early photo at Davenport 2016, sorry for the glare.
                          Great picture, Bob. Again, looks like a lot of Indians, M-Ms, and a few unknowns. Can you imagine what a 'cluster' drill that must have been to get all those bikes together in one place However, they were all close to being brand new, so they probably ran rather well. Still, playing the drums is probably easier than controlling some of those early pioneer motorcycles.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

• When Motorcycles Became Popular in Spokane, Washington

Hello again from Corvallis, Oregon. I have been gone for about 2-years; life keeps interfering with things, but I still believe in old motorcycles. Came across this piece in a historical magazine. When Motorcycles Became Popular in Spokane, Washington. enjoyMotorcycle_history_SpokaneWA_01.jpgMotorcycle_history_SpokaneWA_02.jpg
                            Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

• Great pictures of Spokane motorcycles, Bill. The text has some inaccuracies though. I would guess the year of the Indian in the picture to be 1909. The bikes on the next page are Excelsiors, and a very nice picture of the not common Series 20 Excelsior on the right. I have to wonder where the author came up with Studebaker owning Reading-Standard motorcycles?
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

• Great pics , I think the closest Studabaker ever came to having anything to do with motorcycles was when they took over Pierce Arrow Cars BUT by then the motorcycle business was long gone !!
                                Happy Christmas to all and thanks for the great photo's , keep them coming . Hope you all have Great New Year too riding whatever , Ken
                                Ken

Comment

Working...
                                X