No announcement yet.

old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If pre-1940 applies to the riders, not the bike... this picture fits in just fine.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

• Elmhurst, Illinois police chief Harry F. Magers in 1920:

(photo from the Elmhurst Historical Museum)
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

• Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
        Elmhurst, Illinois police chief Harry F. Magers in 1920:

(photo from the Elmhurst Historical Museum)
        Hi Harry!

Sorry I missed you guys today when you came by the shop. We have the Ghost seminar in full swing and I was right in the middle of teaching a class on carb rebuilding. But I saw that skirted fender and almost said "class dismissed!"

If you are riding Saturday... we'll have 40 of those things in the yard!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

• Realize I probably can't have the bike and that it's not a Harley, but liking those "motor clothes"

Do we really need to wear HD black all the time :-) Just sayin' the guy is dressed for work.

It's what I did in the way back. You got up, shower, shave, shampoo, dress for work and get on the 2 wheeler. And did anywhere from 40 - 120 round trip M-F.

As long as it wasn't raining or snowing when I left in the morning I was packed and ready for the weather as it changed on the way out or the way back.

Nobody really does that anymore, or do they? I mean in an area that has all four seasons? It made for lots of memories and just on a given work day.

No photo op as I left for work other than the occasional squirrel, my dog or the occasional neighbor looking likt - WFT?? - just ride to work.

I like at least this part of 1920's :-)

MC as transportation period. I realize this photo might been a bit of a photo op, but I think this guy went to work like this every day pretty much.

I Rode my MC year round in PA as major transport to work a bunch of miles a day from 1970 through 1982 or so, then the MC got stolen didn't have money so bicycle for 40 miles a day until I could get another wrist twister road bike. Other time spent for leisure was touring on the MC or Bicycle set up for touring.

Good days, and good times. I'm going back before I become one of the folks that say "yeah I used to ride" starting to sound like that now, I know....
          Last edited by rbenash; 09-26-2014, 06:56 AM.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

• Ray:

I don't even own a black leather jacket... Brown leather is the closest I get. And for a number of years, I rode to IBM in a suit on an HD. I am also one of only two people ever to ride a Harley through an IBM cafeteria... and NOT get fired for it (was part of a quality talk done by a HD exec.) I have pictures, somewhere. White shirt, silk tie, suit and wingtips... on an FLHTP as long as the weather was good.

And some of us still ride the 'old' clothes. The photo on my Knuck is my regular riding wear... And dressed up for the Pewter Run on the JD a couple of years ago.

One guy rides his DL in a vintage PDNY uniform...

There are also now some great companies producing reproducing vintage riding gear. Anything from Club shirts and ties to old '20's "college" sweaters. I think they go great with vintage bikes!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

• Nice and civilized looking :-) Road my 65 pan into the local HS gym a few years ago as part of their after prom party. It was part of an old diner recreate we did for after prom.
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

• Thor ,God of thunder?Aurora Illinois.
                This is Oscar Anderson 1876-1961,from New Windsor,Mercer County,Illinois[south of Moline]
                Oscar Ran a Harness shop in Windsor 1930s.
                The postcard stock was made by Multiscope & Film Co.430 Jefferson St.Burlington Wis.1896-1909[southwest of Milwaukee]
                Is this a Thor or other early bike??

Last edited by duffeycycles; 11-19-2015, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Thanx to Eric,this is a Wagner motor homebuilt special,similar to one in Steven Wright's last book.

Comment

• Excelsior 2-Smoke

It never occurred to me that Excelsior would build a 2-stroke, but then-why not?! Anybody have one? Or photos?
                    Excelsior 2.JPG

From December 1915 Popular Mechanics
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by frichie68; 12-25-2015, 11:09 PM.
                    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

• Rich, I saw parts of an Excelsior Light Weight years ago at Davenport but I have never seen a complete example, or know anyone that has one. Even in early trade magazines, you rarely see one, and then it's usually in an Excelsior dealer display. The ad I posted is from 1917. I too would love to see pictures if any of our AMCA members have an Excelsior Light Weight.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

• Bruce Linsday has the only one I know about. Years ago he got a transmiision from me for one. Tom Wilcock

Comment

• I see that forum member diablo has an Excelsior 2 stroke transmission on Ebay now. Tom Wilcock

Comment

• http://www.tvraaca.org/vintagecyclesi.htm
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• That's great Chris but here's a load more -- enjoy , Ken --- http://www.tvraaca.org/oldmovies.htm#movie
                              Ken

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
                                I see that forum member diablo has an Excelsior 2 stroke transmission on Ebay now. Tom Wilcock
                                I think that the transmission on ebay is the single-speed for the 1915 and early 1916 one-speed big twin models.

Bob Turek

Comment

Working...
                                X