No announcement yet.

old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Eric, I'm glad you posted that photo. Look at the story that came from it. Thanks talbot-2!!! I'll say one thing for sure.. ya wouldn't want to be in the line of fire when Mr. Weatherhead had a hammer in his hand!!! Oh, and that sign is amazing!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
      One for Indianut
      Awesome pic! A very early 'Basket' type Drome that looks to have been modified for upstairs viewing. Very Interesting.
      http://laughingindian.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
      A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

• Ok... now I have sign envy...

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
        Charles Weatherhead, pictured in the photo above, was a rural carrier on RFD 7 in Elkhart, Indiana, noted for delivering his mail on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle. He was employed as a rural carrier from sometime between 1905-1910 to sometime prior to 1920 when he became a postal clerk. He was also an agent for the Harley-Davidson motorcycle in Elkhart, Indiana, circa 1910-1912. His WWI draft registration described him as medium height and stout. He was the Indiana State High School Champion in the "Hammer Throw" (131 feet) for the 1903-1904 track season.

My "Harley-Davidson, Charles Weatherhead" sign dates from the 1910-1912 period. The sign measures 53" X 18".

Comment

• Talbot-2, that is one of the most beautiful motorcycle signs I've seen. Do you think it was a template type sign that Harley-Davidson offered it's dealers, or do you think it is an original sign that was designed specificallyfor Mr. Weatherhead? Regardless, thanks for the back story.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

• Originally posted by exeric View Post
            Talbot-2, that is one of the most beautiful motorcycle signs I've seen. Do you think it was a template type sign that Harley-Davidson offered it's dealers, or do you think it is an original sign that was designed specificallyfor Mr. Weatherhead? Regardless, thanks for the back story.
            An identical metal "Charles Weatherhead" H-D sign sold at auction in 2011 in Wisconsin. And an identical H-D paper sign with the name "J. D. Dickenson, Rural Home" sold in Virginia in 2011. It was believed to be circa 1915-1916 and was from Grayson County, Virginia, five (5) miles west of Galax, VA.
            Last edited by talbot-2; 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• One of the first Harley-Davidson dealers....

This is a photo of Harry L. Dipple in front of his motorcycle and bicycle store located at 528 Massachusetts Avenue in Indianapolis circa 1912. Harry was a Harley-Davidson dealer from 1908 to 1919 when he sold out to John Morgan who relocated the dealership to 701 S. Meridian Street in Indianapolis. John Morgan sold out to George Schulteti in 1947. George's son Bob and his wife Anita now own the dealership as it continues with four (4) generations of the Schulteti family. The dealership was relocated in 1998 from the 701 S. Meridian Street location and has been known as "Southside Harley-Davidson" of Indianapolis for the past 65 years. In October of 2012, "Southside Harley-Davidson" celebrated their 65th Anniversary with a visit from Willie G. Davidson and his wife.

My 1912 Harley-Davidson, model X8, single, belt drive, battery ignition, was purchased new by the original owner from the Harry L. Dipple Harley-Davidson dealership of Indianapolis in 1912. I purchased the cycle from the original owner in 1968.

Below is an article about the Harry L. Dipple Harley-Davidson dealership that was published in the December 3, 1911, edition of the "Indianapolis Star" newspaper.

Last edited by talbot-2; 01-01-2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• This photo of early Birmingham, AL. motorcyclists was taken in front of the Birmingham Ledger newspaper office in 1914. The young man with his arms crossed, second from the right on the front row, is Birmingham native Gene Walker. Later that year, he would enter his first professional race at the Alabama Fairgrounds Raceway. He would briefly lead that race, set a new track record, and finish third behind new Harley team rider Red Parkhurst. Walker would go on to be one of the great racers of the teens and early twenties. The taller fellow directly behind him is early racer Robert "Bob" Stubbs, Birmingham's first Indian dealer, and Gene Walker's mentor.

Scan0001[1].jpg
                David Morrill
                Sylacauga, AL. USA.
                AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
                Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

• Great stuff fellas.... great stuff!!!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
                    One of the first Harley-Davidson dealers....

This is a photo of Harry L. Dipple in front of his motorcycle and bicycle store located at 528 Massachusetts Avenue in Indianapolis circa 1912. Harry was a Harley-Davidson dealer from 1908 to 1919 when he sold out to John Morgan who relocated the dealership to 701 S. Meridian Street in Indianapolis. John Morgan sold out to George Schulteti in 1947. George's son Bob and his wife Anita now own the dealership as it continues with four (4) generations of the Schulteti family. The dealership was relocated in 1998 from the 701 S. Meridian Street location and has been known as "Southside Harley-Davidson" of Indianapolis for the past 65 years. In October of 2012, "Southside Harley-Davidson" celebrated their 65th Anniversary with a visit from Willie G. Davidson and his wife.

My 1912 Harley-Davidson, model X8, single, belt drive, battery ignition, was purchased new by the original owner from the Harry L. Dipple Harley-Davidson dealership of Indianapolis in 1912. I purchased the cycle from the original owner in 1968.

Below is an article about the Harry L. Dipple Harley-Davidson dealership that was published in the December 3, 1911, edition of the "Indianapolis Star" newspaper.

The above Harley single is a 1913 , Note the push rod intake.

joe

Comment

• Good eye Joe!

We now know for sure that the photo was taken after Harry Dipple moved his store to 528 Mass Ave. from his earlier location at 338 Mass Ave. Sadly, the 528 Mass Ave. building is long gone.

Thanks
                      Last edited by talbot-2; 01-02-2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• This article is a slice of interesting history.

joe

Comment

• very cool.

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• It still exists!!! That is cool!!!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• Some time back I posted this Worlds Greatest Team postcard.I have only seen 2 of the others in magazines

Comment

Working...
                                X