This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EricOlson View Post
    Came across this pic and reminded me of some of those Cotten posted recently. Sort of a similar vein. I wouldn't cross these gals! "Hell hath no fury like a women scorned". Better send their men back to them soon!

Women's machine gun squad police reserves, New York City (2).jpg

Here is the text that accompanied the picture: Women's machine gun squad police reserves, New York City. Practicing with Lewis Machine Gun which is to be sent to the front. The killing range of this gun is 2 miles and it fires 500 shots per minute. Captain Elise Reniger, manning the gun, Miss Helen M. Striffler on the rear seat, and Mrs. Ivan Farasoff driving.
    These photos of machine guns brought up a memory from my childhood. My good friend at the time was the son of a doctor who served in WWI. My friends dad was in his 70's when my friend was born. He lived to be 94. Anyway, in his barn were 2 WWI artillery shells with a piece of wood stuck in the end where the detonator used to be. In the house was a floor lamp made from a rifle. Also in the barn leaning in a corner was a .50 caliber water-cooled machine gun. Honest to dog. It was almost as long as we were. We used to play with it in the neighborhood when we were in grade school. It was really heavy to carry around though. Nobody said a word. When we were old enough to drive we put it in a car one night and drove around town with it hanging out if the window. It was probably Halloween. Again nobody said a word. Imagine what would happen if we did that today. Felony stop, SWAT, Homeland Security and headline news across the USA. The machine gun is now in the local VFW the last I knew.

Comment

• I loved your story, PEM. It reminded me of my childhood friend who's Dad went through hell in a tank in the European theater in WW2. His Dad had some interesting mementos from his experience's, including a huge red nazi flag with a white circle, and a black swastika. It was in a big folded pile in his garage attic and we couldn't resist un-folding it in his back yard. It probably covered half of his back yard which was a lot of work to unfold for 2 morons. When a small plane started circling our neighborhood - us 2 idiots figured it was time to fold it back up.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

• Originally posted by exeric View Post
        I loved your story, PEM. It reminded me of my childhood friend who's Dad went through hell in a tank in the European theater in WW2. His Dad had some interesting mementos from his experience's, including a huge red nazi flag with a white circle, and a black swastika. It was in a big folded pile in his garage attic and we couldn't resist un-folding it in his back yard. It probably covered half of his back yard which was a lot of work to unfold for 2 morons. When a small plane started circling our neighborhood - us 2 idiots figured it was time to fold it back up.
        Had a similar story occur involving two Morons also Eric. My friend's father was in the infantry during WWII. He managed to pilfer German artifacts, like a Luger & memorabilia. One was some very cool swastika medals. The two dumb~bells decided to wear them into our Polish language class one fine day. This is around the period of the upcoming barrage of mid 1960's Biker flicks. Our former nazi imprisoned female Polish teacher took one look at those crosses and without blinking an eye, hauled our behinds down to the principals office. I'll never forget the fury in her eyes! Our parents were notified, and we spent the weekend doing yard work around the school.

*M.A.D.*
        Last edited by JoJo357; 11-18-2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• The first picture in #2716 probably dates from at least 1912. Several of the bikes are 1912 models and Excelsior was changing management at that time. Shipments of the 1912s don't seem to have been made until that year.

Comment

• zz62467e.jpg

zzb4b9c00.jpg

zzCFA Motorclub 1911.jpg

zzCQjO.jpg

zzb4b9c00.jpg

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• This picture in your last post was taken on the 1st October 1914 at Whanganui in New Zealand.
              As a picture with no captions its just a picture but with some data and names it becomes interesting don't you think? Wanganui Hill Climb 1914.jpg
              Last edited by Tommo; 11-21-2022, 11:49 PM. Reason: Spelling error
              Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
              A.M.C.A. # 2777
              Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

• Thanks Tommo; Yes much more interesting.

Comment

• vintage-1930s-40s-woman-girl-motorcycle-harley-davidson-color-photo-saddlebags_252476477276.jpg
                  Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Possibly Sydney, Australia
                    vintage_motorcycles_sydney_zps583b887c.jpg
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

• Cute girl, and a black & blue Sport Scout. Thanks for picture #2724, Bob.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

• Originally posted by exeric View Post
                        Cute girl, and a black & blue Sport Scout. Thanks for picture #2724, Bob.
                        pssst....it's a Chief!
                        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

• Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post

pssst....it's a Chief!
                          That is funny, Harry. talk about being myopic. And I had a 1940 Chief. I don't know if I have a vision problem, or possibly ding-a-ling syndrome.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

• Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                            Confirmed, Sydney 1938.

Comment

• Vintage_motorcycle_12_zps36553b31.jpg
                              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                              X