X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *M.A.D.*
    fullsizeoutput_1ede.jpeg

Comment

• It really a shame if we can't include all we know, Folks,...

A connection gliche revealed that two of Eric's pics in #2309 are "Bay Meadows 1950 winners Larry Hedrick and Kenny Eggers with Tom Sifton between", and "Cy Homer and Mario Stillo".

Can we figure out which is which? Thanks in advance as always,...

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        It really a shame if we can't include all we know, Folks,...

A connection gliche revealed that two of Eric's pics in #2309 are "Bay Meadows 1950 winners Larry Hedrick and Kenny Eggers with Tom Sifton between", and "Cy Homer and Mario Stillo".

Can we figure out which is which? Thanks in advance as always,...

....Cotten
        Cotten, sorry for leaving that info off. I was without a keyboard on my computer for a while, so all I was able to do was click with my mouse. It had been a few days since anyone posted, so I decided to at least put up some pictures. I finally have a keyboard again, so I can now fill in the missing details.

Picture #2 has the text "Bay Meadows 20-Mile National, 1950, winners Larry Hedrick and Kenny Eggers, with Tom Sifton standing in between".

Picture #3 has the text "Cy Homer on the right, with Mario Stillo". That is all I have for these two pictures.

Here's another picture, and the text says "Louis Guanella wins the 1940 Oakland 200-Mile National, riding for Tom Sifton, right"

Louis Guanella wins the 1940 Oakland 200-Mile National, riding for Tom Sifton, right.jpg
        Eric Olson
        Membership #18488

Comment

• Cy Homer of Sacramento, CA. rode in the 1940 Oakland 200 aboard a Joe Sarkees BMW flat tracker. Joe was the first Triumph Dealer on the west coast and a founding member of the AMCA Fort Sutter Chapter that puts on the Dixon National meet.Cy flew P-38's in the south pacific and had 18 confirmed zeros (3 times an ace). Mario Stillo from Chico, just above Sacramento, was a great flat tracker. He was killed at the Galt track in 1947 just below Sacramento. The week after he died Cy rode around the track with crossed checkered flags in honor of his friend. Both were die hard Indian Sport Scout racers.A lot of history in that area.
          DrSprocket

Comment

• Sorry I have no info on any of these, Folks,...

6mt7vjir.jpg

0fxqo0l.jpg

0xxsl79x.jpg

2hnnwno.jpg

21npcpl.jpg

But would love to get some,

.....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

• Thanks for the pictures, Tom. I think the rider in pics 2, and 4 is British rider Freddie Dixon who successfully rode Harley-Davidson, and Indian. The last picture is of an Excelsior Super X. It looks like a hill climber. The rear fender looks like a bobbed H-D front fender which makes you wonder if the motor was a 'still competitive' Excelsior M motor, or better yet; an OHV from 1919 that were reported to still be used for hill climbing. Don't recognize the rider but I'll bet he died with a full head of hair
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

• More unknowns (to me)...

s-l1600.jpg

1921.jpg
                (1921)

d2_1.jpg

Curtiss A.jpg

ernie_11.jpg
                (Ernie)

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-17-2022, 07:58 AM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

• Ernie Hinds of NZ.
                  He had a dealership in Christchurch NZ selling Indians and was a grass track racer of some repute.
                  Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777
                  Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

• Ernie Hinds is also in this picture seated on the Indian 6th from the left.
                    Although not a very good quality picture it shows "NONPAREIL CYCLE and MOTOR Co" in Palmerston North NZ who at the time were the NZ importers of Indian motorcycles.
                    It is thought this shot shows the total import of bikes into NZ for 1915 EH0001.jpg for 1915
                    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777
                    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

• Boards.jpg

clevelandlunaparkmotordrome.jpg

High on the boards.jpg

LAbrdtrk.jpg
                      (Los Angeles maybe)

z1e71c61.jpg

....Cotten
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-20-2022, 09:27 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

• zFJzM.jpg
                        (Is that a board track?)

zpswfax8lxx.jpg

track maintenance.jpg

x28873.jpg

zzzi4h6.jpg

....Cotten
                        PS: I realize this ancient stuff misses a lot of Folks' interests,..
                        Precious few of us could, or ever will experience riding such machines, and none will experience the boards. Only lucky enough was I that I could play with the fossil carbs, and luckier that I could watch my peers revive the machines on the track at Davenport;
                        The smell of the castor was exhilarating, and not so long ago.

Nevermore.
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-21-2022, 09:24 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

• I would love to have been there Cotten. It's not much of a substitute, but at least some of the stories and pictures are still around. I can only visit them in my imagination.

Eddie Hasha on his Indian Big-Base 8-Valve racer at Vailsburg Motordrome, Newark NJ. c1912

Eddie Hasha on his Indian Big-Base 8-Valve racer at Vailsburg Motordrome, Newark NJ. c1912.JPG

‘The Kansas Cyclone’ Lawrence Ray Weishaar. Winner 100 mi. race, Norton, Kansas. October 1914

‘The Kansas Cyclone’ Lawrence Ray Weishaar. Winner 100 mi. race, Norton, Kansas. October 1914.jpg

Lee Humiston with his record setting Excelsior Racer. c1912

Lee Humiston with his record setting Excelsior Racer. c1912.jpg

Eric Olson
                          Membership #18488

Comment

• *M.A.D.*

image_32617.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1bcf.jpeg
                            Last edited by JoJo357; 05-25-2022, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

• zb1q5.jpg

zDh1F.jpg

za851714ac.jpg2mf0v7k.jpg

....Cotten
                                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X