We all want more activity, Folks!
The forum should be a fountainhead, not a backwater; Perhaps we can do little about the appearance, but quality content depends upon us.
If folks come here for answers (and solutions), don't those usually come from the "Industry"?
Get more of the vintage motorcycle industry on board, and the 'hobby' will follow.
....Cotten
AMCA Forum is a backwater of the internet
Collapse
X
-
-
I have six motorcycle and five machining-related sites bookmarked on my browser, and all but the AMCA site allow me to see new posts in no more than one click after opening the site. The AMCA site forces me to navigate around the screen to click on four places (and, that's only after I figured out some of the non-obvious places to find them), at which point the use of excess white space only allows me to see five recent posts. Other sites allow me to see anywhere from 12 to 20. As a result, I can click on any one of those other sites, scan for new posts of interest, and if there are none be done with the site in no more than 15 seconds. That's not possible with the AMCA site.
In addition to this site's poor use of excess white space, the opening page uses valuable space for boxes for 'Latest Topics' (which is fine, but it also should have a box for 'latest posts'), but also 'Recent Blog Posts' (of which there are none), 'Tag Cloud' (which provides the useless information that most posts here are about Harleys and Indians), and 'Trending' (again, useless).
Of the eleven sites mentioned above, the design of the AMCA's site is the worst. And not by a little bit. I assume the present software can't be significantly reconfigured, and I realize it's futile to hope the AMCA would switch to different software. However, I'm afraid the present site design is too off-putting to attract a wider audience given that most people who frequent the web will be used to much more user-friendly designs. And, most people who don't frequent the web are unlikely to overcome the frustration of using this site. This might have been one of the better designs in 2000, but it is hopelessly outdated and clumsy in 2021.
In an earlier post someone said he preferred quality over quantity. I completely agree. But quantity and quality are unrelated, and I have no doubt the lack of quantity here is related to the poor design of this website. That means an unknown number people with quality information to post aren't bothering to post it here.
In the post that started this thread I said I was making an observation, not a suggestion. That applies to the present post as well. Normally, I try not to mention problems when I don't have solutions to propose but, given that I doubt the AMCA will abandon the present software, I can't think of any solution to the issue of lack of traffic on this site.
Leave a comment:
-
Click the two down arrows to the left of the topic title to get to the first unread post
Leave a comment:
-
Clicking the double arrows displays "todays" posts but doesn't pick up where it was last viewed by the user. It appears that if I hadn't viewed a particular topic in a while it would still require me to go back and search where I had last left off.
Again, maybe I am missing something.
Leave a comment:
-
Howdy sir,
Look to right of the thread and under the latest poster’s name click the two rightward facing arrows.
Leave a comment:
-
I am a member of another forum related to my job. It was also recently upgraded and one of the best functions to come along with that upgrade is that when logging on, the software recalls what was last viewed on a particular topic. So when opening a thread it brings you to the latest post that I had NOT seen. This is extremely handy when a topic goes on for many pages. It eliminates the requirement to start from the beginning and try to locate the last entry that was viewed. I no longer view “vintage pics of the day” on the AMCA forum for that very reason. It brings me to the first entry each time I try to see what is new.
Am I missing something or is this the way it is designed to work?
Also, if I recall CAIMAG did not require a fee to join. With many competing forums most aren't willing to cough up some bux to be able to post or view pics.
My 2ยข
Leave a comment:
-
Call me cRazY and 2 cents worth...but in my opinion, this whole Darn Forum went to the dogs when Bob Luland was placed on M.I.A.--hahaha. Now--Do You have a better explanation?
*M.A.D.*
Leave a comment:
-
I don't know "backwater" "bathwater" . . . The water is fine for me. I am getting used to the new forum. Numbers? Membership?? Again I don't know. thinking something about QUALITY over
quantity. I do not post a lot because I am sure there are MANY folks here with a lot more knowledge and experience than me. "Better to keep your mouth shut and thought ignorant than speak
and remove all doubt".
Leave a comment:
-
I always thought that it would be a good idea to have access to all of the technical articles from the AMCA magazine at one place. Could be on here somewhere or a disc that you could purchase and play on your PC. That way you would not have to go through all of the old issues looking for that special technical article.
Leave a comment:
-
I've been thinking about this topic on and off -- and carefully reading everyone's replies.
Like several others on here; I also moderate a couple of marque/model specific sites.Those sites get a lot more traffic than the AMCA forum -- but I couldn't truly tell you why the sites are or are not popular. One is totally private and moderated with stark impunity; yet guys get mad when we kick them out and bombard us with messages to get back in. On the other site; we're very open and it gets less than 1/8th the traffic. It makes no sense -- but that's what appears on the ground.
What I have seen in trends analysis is that things don't break down so much by age group as they do proclivity and desire for information. A lot of folks want to assume it is an age thing - younger folks will be on facebook and just prefer that easy interaction. What I've observed is that there are three or four "types" of people that show up on forums. They sift out to folks looking for fast answers, to folks who just like to BS about bikes, to the folks who are really seeking clear information. The AMCA tends to roll towards that later group.
With something like the AMCA; it's a bit of a journey to get here. First, we all remember when we were new to bikes. For those of us more than half way to the grave -- it wasn't unusual to start out riding before you were 18. Today; it's a bit different. Unless one of your parents is a rider -- chances are you don't start until later in life. And, unless someone introduces you to old bikes first --- chances are you're not really thinking of diving head first into the AMCA until you've gotten through a few bikes. My point is that by the time someone finds the AMCA Forum -- they are likely hunting for more information than the average forum visitor. This means there is less likely to be general conversation and less fast sharing like can be seen on the AMCA Facebook page.
And, we have to admit some guys just don't want to spend the money to join the club just so they can post here.
Another potential challenge is that even though we don't want it to be; it's darn intimidating for people to share their work on a site like this. You have "known individuals" who are as close to celebrity as we have in the old bike world. And, you have folks who are fiercely proud of their 30, 40, 50 year friendships through the AMCA. It can be hard for someone without prior AMCA contact to not only join the club; but also to then take the extra step to come here and participate.
I only offer these as observations. I have no solutions. We keep trying different things on the sites I moderate just to get guys to talk so we can figure out what type of content to share . . . and it is often like pulling teeth out of an angry crocodile.
Leave a comment:
-
I look at this forum everyday lunchtime when I'm at work, (ok....sometimes a lil longer) and enjoy it very much. I read EVERY post and reply that has been put up since my last visit, no matter the subject. I'm also somewhat technically challenged, not doing facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. and having NO desire to do so. I , like Lyle, use my old computer and flip phone , (what is a "G" anyway?) and don't even have internet at my house. Some ask me how I get by without it and some say they wish they weren't a slave to their damn computers. I'd rather DO things than type my fingers or thumbs all the time. There is such a wealth of knowledge on this site , it's amazing. I don't even know all the stuff I don't know, but I can always find something good here. Many thanks to all the contributors previously mentioned in this thread , as well as the many others that make this site so enjoyable. Just watching Cotten and Exeric go back and forth is worth the price of admission alone I also miss the CAI mag site and wish it hadn't been cut off so abruptly. So much good information lost, a real pity. Mike is to be commended for the excellent moderating duties he performs so well ,helping us navigate the new site, etc There's things I dont like about the new site also but I'm glad to just HAVE it. Rest assured there's many of us reading but not always having something to say. Thank you all.......Smitty
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: