AMCA Forum is a backwater of the internet
Collapse
X
-
Steve and Green Indian,great comments...There is hope for all us old gear heads..I'm not sure but as of today I think I may have written more letters with stamps than emails...by tomorrow that may change..Stay well all my old motorcycle friends...
-
Thanks to all of my fellow AMCA club members for their efforts and contributions big and small in making the site and forum the best place for antique motorcyclists in my humble opinion. I too have gotten used to the "new look" of the site. I wish I could add more than my sincere gratitude but honestly I can not think of anything that has not already been said. Keep up the good work everyone.
Leave a comment:
-
I've been watching this thread with interest. i'll keep my comments brief.
1. Realistically, it's impossible for this forum to be all things to all people who own or "specialize" in a particular brand or particular model or particular year of motorcycle. For that and any number of other reasons there are people who do not belong to the AMCA.
2. Electronic mediums for information sharing have become seemingly boundless from the days when we wrote letters and made phone calls to chase down parts or drove hundred's and even thousand's of miles to meet a particular individual or attend an annual meet hoping against hope to find the part we needed.
3. Sharing information electronically is the norm, like it or not. Different forms of electronic information sharing have distinctly different uses for different reasons for as many people who find these different means of communication that best suit what they want to convey or learn.
4. When electronic forums came out, they were waay cool. i remember when facebook came out and i thought what a crock 'o s--t and now i am active on the JD Facebook forum with more than 3,300 members worldwide. i will add, it is highly unlikely that i will ever ingest twitters, tiktoks and pringles or whatever the latest gizmo's are.
5. I never considered getting involved with JD Facebook until Yahoo shut down their forums, specifically the JD Yahoo Group, and coincidentally also around that same time i became somewhat dispirited as interest in things JD seemed to be dying off on this beloved forum that fellow members were so helpful to me.
6. It seems that that AMCA is all inclusive of all machines that turn 35 years old year after year; interests of the populations of antique motorcycle interest is broad and expansive. It seems if specific needs are to be met and someone wants more active participation about their particularly specific niche of interest, it only stands to reason that that person will look for a group of like-minded people for whatever marque or model of motorcycle they interested in so they can give and receive the information they are actively interested in rather than hope they get an answer from someone who may or may not actively participate on any given forum.
7. One thing i have personally learned is the imprudence of badmouthing something that i have no experience with or dislike, e.g., historically, "Jap-crap" motorcycles and more apropos is, perhaps, Facebook. I am not by any means a proponent of Facebook, on the other hand, like any other tool in my tool chests and equipment in my shop, Facebook serves a purpose and has its use. I've learned it does little good to resist the times and at the same time i can participate in what i choose. Or not.
I realize my comments may be of little help and are my version of reality where so many versions of reality exist.
A huge shout out to Mike and the work he does for this forum. I know first hand what it is like to manage a forum. It's something everyone is interested in and few people actively contribute to and participate with.
“We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

Konstantin Josef JirečekLast edited by Steve Swan; 02-15-2021, 02:07 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
Interesting discussion for sure...first off I would like to thank Mike for all his hard work.It's clear that all he wants is to make the forum the best it can be..I have been on from the start and go each day..As my computer skills lack (and typing even more) I tend to read more than post. Several years ago I sent in a lot of pictures of things and Cory O would post for me, but sadly he hasn't been online with us for some time now...Come on back Cory O, we miss all your good research..Forums are being heavily competed against these days..(just ask Buzz C), Facebook has grown by a gazzillion percent and Instagram had gone from a few hundred to 10's of thousands...Lots to keep the tec savy busy.. I still hit the forum pretty much every day and miss the day to day reports of the Joe Gardellla builds prior, to his first Cannonball..He was on for months and I never missed a report before going to work...Not sure I have the answer but those names that I recognize still on the forum have helped many, many, old bike restorers...Like Eric has stated, I was comfortable with the old setting but have adapted...I am told that if we hadn't made the change when we did we would have been in even bigger trouble....The software change had many facets to it for the size our organization had become and the forum was just one part of a system that manages a club in the 12,000 member range...So many people have helped me with my restorations and I may never have finished them with out the Forum users help..Spread the word as it still works for me but I agree," the more the merrier.".Last edited by Ross; 02-15-2021, 06:04 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
I don't think a contributor has to be an 'engine whisperer', paint specialist, electrical engineer, etc to be a very valuable addition to this forum. Mechanical information is a great thing, but there are the aesthetic, historic, and anecdotal experiences that make vintage motorcycling a lifelong journey. I love hearing motorcycles stories from the shop, the road, or the wild side. Those stories and experiences can be as valuable as the bikes because the myths, B.S. and history are what give life to this motorcycle passion we all have.
Leave a comment:
-
I agree with Eric and Cotton's comment that we are responsible for the content.Originally posted by exeric View Post
BULLSEYE ! I don't care about the mechanics, or appearance of this site; I can adjust to that. I feed on the activity, and participation here regardless of the make of motorcycle, or literary abilities. I love to read posts from neophytes, old timers, experts, and B.S. artists from any country. Each of us can filter what we read, but we need many, and new diverse things to read. If you are a lurker, please jump in.
I visit the site daily and sometimes several times. I post when I have questions, but I admit I'm not great at following up on my posts. I don't have the experience or expertise that most of you do, so it rare that I'm able to help out with anyone's questions, especially if it's about anything other than mid-forty Indians. But I enjoy reading all the posts and learn something new each time I visit.
When I first joined I spent hours and hours reading every post in the Chief section and the info has been invaluable and I could not have completed the restro on my '47 without the help from members of this site. Especially the posts with pictures
I had posted that I'd like to see a section where we can post reference photos for others putting our bikes back on the road. I don't plan on having my bike judged, but I did enjoy doing the research and trying to do everything as close to original as possible. Including the little details such as wire and cable routing, correct hardware, and finishes.
Not as fun as riding, but a big part of the experience for me.
If there is some interest in this, maybe Mike can create a new topic and I'd be happy to start by posting images of my '47 Chief, and I'd welcome the feedback, advice and posts telling me everything I did wrong!
Leave a comment:
-
I find one site as confusing as the next. I would personally like to thank Mike Love for doing such a great job maintaining this one. If it wasn't for him this would be a lot worse.
Jerry
Leave a comment:
-
**Well Said Eric. I do have one question tho', where are most of the AMCA staff members lurking at?Originally posted by exeric View Post
BULLSEYE ! I don't care about the mechanics, or appearance of this site; I can adjust to that. I feed on the activity, and participation here regardless of the make of motorcycle, or literary abilities. I love to read posts from neophytes, old timers, experts, and B.S. artists from any country. Each of us can filter what we read, but we need many, and new diverse things to read. If you are a lurker, please jump in.
Oh, i really dig your Biography Eric--hahaha.
*M.A.D.*Last edited by JoJo357; 02-13-2021, 03:29 AM.
Leave a comment:
-
One advantage of this forum over others should be its judging board but it hasn’t worked for a thread I started last September. One judge replied but I’m still waiting for clarification of info said to be on H-D drawing 47000-40A. Why has no AMCA judge clarified that info? The best solution would be for the drawing to be posted but that hasn’t happened either.
What message does that send to members regardless of prospective or current?
Eric
https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...-1954-panheads
Leave a comment:
-
Just like the Dumpster Divers' Motto, Paul!Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post,,,There was a Jack LaLanne type whose book I read he had a motto regarding his life style and training: "Only the motivated find us," Sometimes I feel that resonates here NOT in a bad way.
Seek, and Ye shall Find.
BAGLADY.jpg
...Cotten
PS: There, but by the grace of Providence, go I.
It was my dumpster.Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-12-2021, 02:56 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
I have been been thinking about this. Would I still be going out to the garage, barn or shed to work on a 30+ year old bike in the winter if AMCA did not exist or if this forum did not exist?
Yes. I like bikes especially old bikes and like I to tinker and do maintenance. I'd be doing this even if it was only me. But I would not be doing it as as well or as confidently. I am VERY Happy we have this forum somewhere to go and research a topic and if still in the dark ask a question. For me this is good; I can learn and roll with site changes and upgrades.
There was a Jack LaLanne type whose book I read he had a motto regarding his life style and training: "Only the motivated find us," Sometimes I feel that resonates here NOT in a bad way.
Leave a comment:
-
How 'bout that?! Thanks, Joe!Originally posted by joe fxs fxr View PostClick the two down arrows to the left of the topic title to get to the first unread post
Dale
Leave a comment:
-
BULLSEYE ! I don't care about the mechanics, or appearance of this site; I can adjust to that. I feed on the activity, and participation here regardless of the make of motorcycle, or literary abilities. I love to read posts from neophytes, old timers, experts, and B.S. artists from any country. Each of us can filter what we read, but we need many, and new diverse things to read. If you are a lurker, please jump in.Originally posted by T. Cotten View PostPerhaps we can do little about the appearance, but quality content depends upon us.
....Cotten
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: