AMCA Forum is a backwater of the internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA Forum is a backwater of the internet

This post is an observation, not a suggested solution.

I've been paying attention to "data" from this site for several weeks. Seldom are there even a dozen members signed on (i.e. 0.1% of the AMCA membership), and I've yet to see as many as 18. A typical day will see 6-12 posts, i.e. only one every few hours. What this means is many people who check out this site are likely to conclude it doesn't have information they're looking for, or discussions of interest to them, and thus not bother returning to it.

What the very low visitation and posting rate means is many people are unlikely to post to this site since they will rightly conclude that very few others will read what they write. Similarly, other people are unlikely to come to this site because the very few posts means it is unlikely they will find the information or discussions of interest to them.

This is a classic chicken or egg situation which means, unfortunately, it is likely this site will remain a largely-unvisited backwater of the internet unless something significant happens to change the situation.

If I had a solution to suggest, I would have suggested it, but I don't.

Thanks I plan to post and reply as best I can , you get out what you put I ( theory) let's see your rides ,bama-shovel

Comment

Perhaps it is the fact that there are so many different topic areas to post in that it lessens the incentive to post?
      AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by AFJ View Post
        Perhaps it is the fact that there are so many different topic areas to post in that it lessens the incentive to post?
        AFJ
        If you mean the new format sux, AFJ,...

Bingo.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The new format is a PITA. REturn to the old format which was easier to navigate and more pleasing to the eye.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

It took me a couple of weeks to get used to the new format here, but I for one like it. I think some people asked for more sub sections and I think its fine too. I do not post all that much, even though I frequent daily, but I do have to say the uploading of pictures is the cat's a$$. Very quick and whatever size you want, a +++ for this forum. A friend of mine brought up the smaller font issue, but we just went to settings and an enlargement to 110% is perfect in my opinion. I don't like viewing the forum on my phone and I think that is where the problem could be, more and more people use their phone for everything.
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thanks Charles for bringing this up.

One thing about what causes low participation in a discussion forum is that its more likely to be a number of factors causing it. So it is important for us to trouble shoot this and start to figure it out. Charles and I exchanged an email off of the forum and here is how I responded to his at the time, proposed New Topic.

Yep that can be a problem with a forum Charles. Of course the collective membership is the source of all content. It is a cooperative effort if you will. One area that I want to start is a technical article section written by members that have an interest in contributing info and thus helping to increase available helpful information. I have an idea of how to format it but I need to recruit some authors to write up articles. This would of course only be one area of adding possible interest but one person earlier commented that as a new antique motorcycle he needs guides on how to accomplish some of the tasks, he needs technical info but doesn’t necessarily know what he doesn’t know HaHa. I need to also send out an email to all members of the forum maybe once every two weeks to highlight recent interesting posts to get them interested. I will also do some sort of a short survey to get feedback on what is lacking I the forum. Again a successful forum is all on the content contributed and discussed by the members.
              Okay that said lets roll our sleeves up.

1) One thing we won't be able to change is the general over al look. What you see is what you get. However if we make it as user friendly by reconfiguring the forums, condensing to less forums, creating directories that link to specific useful stuff I think it will be an improvement.
              2) No we can't go back to the former software version because it is no longer supported with upgrades or support from the the vBulletin Forum producer. It was not working well and I was relieved that we were able to get an upgrade when we did. There is little customization available for the look or the basic components.
              3) I have asked for admin privileges to move the furniture around in the forums. We should be able to really just shuffle the deck and move stuff to more general categories to make easier to navigate around the forums themselves. I am going to depend on member input on what stays, what goes, etc.
              4) I will create a survey to send to all registered members of the AMCA Community Forum asking for their input. I will create this in Google Forms and when people respond it will collect their answers in a spreadsheet so I can analyze it and get a better idea of what will be useful as we move forward, This will require a bit of work , time and preparation together it set up but I will get it done asap because I think it is important. from there we can look to next steps.

One thing I would like to see use create is a technical article section. Something that takes a specific technical area related to antique motorcycles and presents the whole subject, smaller pieces of the subject, or even differences in a subject area and comparing the various makes and breeds of antique cycles. An example could be Introduction to Magnetos. I am sure that with the expertise of our members we could make available some useful technical articles. Member contribution to our content is fundamental to our success.

Mike Love

Comment

"One thing I would like to see use create is a technical article section."

Very good idea.

Comment

The item I noted when logging on this morning is 4 AMCA members viewing and 140 guests on line. How do we get those 140 guests to become AMCA members?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                    The item I noted when logging on this morning is 4 AMCA members viewing and 140 guests on line. How do we get those 140 guests to become AMCA members?
                    A member can view without signing in making him/her a guest.
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Yes, a tech section is a good idea. I usually go to the panhead and flathead site after I view this one for tech questions, problems with assembly or repair, etc. Anybody out there have any more sites they look at regarding these subjects? The more info, the better, in my opinion.

Comment

I like the new forum and I visit every morning. I am also similar to most of the motorcycles I ride, old and set in my ways. I find the information here useful and helpful. I don't do Facebook, Twitter or any other social media crap. I like my computer and my flip phone. My 3G flip phone costs me about $100 a year and I turn it on whenever I break down on an old motorcycle. Much to the dismay of ATT, Verizon, Cricket, Sprint and any of the others that have brainwashed people into believing that a cell phone is a necessity not a convenience.
                        BLB, I don't have any idea how to get these visitors to join. I would guess they are here to glean any information being shared as useful to themselves. Sadly they are missing out on the fun and friendships that can be forged by joining, not to mention a magazine that has evolved from a pamphlet to a first class publication since I joined in the 1970's.
                        Getting people to join has always been a problem, I had to join to vend at Ft. Mott but I was overcome by the bug and have continued to be a member for all these years and so it goes. Solutions are hard to come by and unfortunately there are fewer and fewer of today's generation interested in the hobby which for me evolved from the joy of riding.

Comment

Greetings
                          I also frequent this site most days and am always surprised at how few posts there are. Having said that , I havent posted much myself. The reasons vary , but it has a lot to do with no follow up on existing posts. As far as suggestions for getting people to post here, I have some thoughts. I also don't do Facebook, but did go and check out the amca Facebook page. I don't think it would hurt if there was a link to this site and a small blurb promoting the forums. I don't think most Facebook users know this forum exists. My other suggestion is to make the forums available to anyone. Allow people to post who are not members of the amca. Facebook is free, that's hard to compete with when you charge. As far as all of the "guests" I would guess there bots, not unsigned in viewers. The number of guests and the hours there on make it unlikely there people.
                          just some thoughts.
                          Max

Comment

Originally posted by BoschZEV View Post
                            What the very low visitation and posting rate means is many people are unlikely to post to this site since they will rightly conclude that very few others will read what they write. Similarly, other people are unlikely to come to this site because the very few posts means it is unlikely they will find the information or discussions of interest to them.
                            BoschZEV, interesting conclusions you've come to, though I think it's much more complicated than you think.

It's a matter of expectations, I believe. This forum is not Facebook, Twitter, or any other site that relies on page visits to gain revenue. One can always visit this forum and read the content, but in order to post something requires that you join AMCA. That limits the content here, which is fine by me because I believe if you remove the worthless content from the AMCA Facebook page and leave only the content that helps AMCA members restore, preserve, and enjoy their vintage motorcycles then you'd be left with a similar volume of postings.

And as far as being a "backwater of the internet", again I think it's a matter of expectations. I get what I need from this forum, it's a good forum... I always learn something when I read something new, and it's not clogged with postings and advertisements unrelated to our hobby.

Oh, and feel free to hit the "like" button here
                            Last edited by pisten-bully; 02-09-2021, 08:49 AM.
                            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I also think the format needs some already suggested tweeks.
                              I think more content would attract more participation.
                              I would guess the old pic thread probably accounts for more than half the traffic.
                              How about recognizing people who contribute?Maybe a free annual membership for best build thread,or best documentation of an amca meet or best tech article.
                              How about a winner circle photo history?
                              A technical section would be nice but it needs contributing experts,and I think they should be recognized.
                              For this month I nominate Boschzev for his multiple threads on magnetos(not easy to find now)and Tom Cotten for his shared carb expertise.
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X