Like???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like???

I really don't care for the "Like" feature for posts. A bit too "social media" for my taste. You either dig it or don't, why an extra button to push? Hit like if you agree!

I'm not going to hit 'like' because I completely agree with you, Hack. I think your comment about it being too social media is spot-on. This is a forum, not a popularity contest. If someone has a problem with a post, or approval of a post they should say so in a reply. Like buttons are for the shy. (I changed the word I used in preference to 'shy'.)
    Last edited by exeric; 12-05-2020, 04:41 PM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Real curmudgeons won't even use an emoticon.

....Cotten

AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Hack View Post
        I really don't care for the "Like" feature for posts. A bit too "social media" for my taste. You either dig it or don't, why an extra button to push? Hit like if you agree!
        Like is like a strange animal looking for love in all the wrong places. Thumbs Up - Thumbs Down? All seem to just be a perverse shorthand. We can either comment and make it known how we feel or be silent because we choose to stay out of the fray. Some folks using social media have harvested likes and even make a living off of their accumulation of likes. Me - am like poor.

If enough people feel a strong dis-like for the thumbs up like feature we can ask to have it removed.

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          Real curmudgeons won't even use an emoticon.

....Cotten
          I can proudly say I have never used an emoticon. Wait a minute what is an emoticon and are there degrees to curmudgeonitcon behavior?

Mike Love

Comment

The like is directly associated with the reputation feature. Here is what the Help section says about Reputation.

What is Reputation?

Reputation is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the administrators have enabled reputation, then the like icon will be visible in posts.

You can build your reputation on the site by posting informative and constructive content. This in turn will encourage people to follow your posts, press the like button on different posts and they could even subscribe to your content.
            How do I give reputation?

To give reputation, click on the like icon in the relevant post. This will signify you like the content and will add to the user's reputation. If you click on the like icon again, you will remove that reputation from the user.
            How do I know what reputation I have received?

You will be notified when someone likes one of your posts. In addition to this, your general reputation will appear within the user information of your posts. These show as small graphics or pips under your Avatar. As your reputation inceases, the number of pips or graphics will increase.
            How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?

If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.
            What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?

You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your Account Settings and selecting the checkbox for Reputation Level.
            Yes I think Hack is on target - do you need an accumulation of likes to see how good your reputation is?

When I'm drivin' in my car
            And a man comes on the forum site
            He's tellin' me more and more
            About some useless information
            Supposed to fire my imagination

I can't get no
            Oh no no no
            Hey hey hey
            That's what I say

I can't get no reputation
            In no way should these comments be construed as the policy of this forum - just food for thought.

Mike Love

Comment

I'm in the tech industry, but I'm one of the "old guys" at 60 in the biz. Watched this on a fight and would like to share “The Social Dilemma” ,it is a documentary that should be watched. Made sense to me, but like I said I'm not a social media person.

I've also never used an emoji, but most of my clients do.
              Last edited by TH47Indy; 12-06-2020, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I think the the simple 'smile' emoji is essential on a forum because some people have no sense of humor, and some people have very weird, or easily misunderstood humor. Emojis are goofy, and childish, but so are a lot of adults.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  I think the the simple 'smile' emoji is essential on a forum because some people have no sense of humor, and some people have very weird, or easily misunderstood humor. Emojis are goofy, and childish, but so are a lot of adults.
                  :-(

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by ihrescue View Post

Like is like a strange animal looking for love in all the wrong places. Thumbs Up - Thumbs Down? All seem to just be a perverse shorthand. We can either comment and make it known how we feel or be silent because we choose to stay out of the fray. Some folks using social media have harvested likes and even make a living off of their accumulation of likes. Me - am like poor.

If enough people feel a strong dis-like for the thumbs up like feature we can ask to have it removed.

Mike Love
                    Looking at recent page of posts it seems no one has used it,so I think the like feature for this site is one of those useless bells and whistles.
                    If things are still being tweeked how about putting a "last" at the top of the sticky old photos thread instead of having to find it on the bottom.
                    BTW like the way photos appear now.
                    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tfburke3 View Post

Looking at recent page of posts it seems no one has used it,so I think the like feature for this site is one of those useless bells and whistles.
                      If things are still being tweeked how about putting a "last" at the top of the sticky old photos thread instead of having to find it on the bottom.
                      BTW like the way photos appear now.
                      Tom

Completely agree!

Dale

Comment

Same here, who cares if someone likes or dislikes a post.

Comment

I'm with HD48FL. Who cares? I guess that I'm just a Grumpy Old Man.

Comment

"Come on, Man!"

Bells-n-Whistles2 was kewl, but this is Bells-n-Whistles3

Just check out 'Groups', Recent Blog Posts, and the marvelous Tag Cloud.

Only a geezer wouldn't use them like tik-tok.

....Cotten
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 12-06-2020, 02:21 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

I concur; I do not like "Like".

Comment

Working...
                              X