No announcement yet.

Jefferson, Pa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally agree with how hard it is to judge especially with a '65 FLH. The only thing that bothers me about the judging program based on the Jefferson experience is the fact that the judges were actively consulting with 4-5 spectators without judging Jerseys who were pointing out and discussing what THEY thought was incorrect instead of the judges talking to me. That's is poor practice and ground enough for me that something seriously was wrong in terms of protocol. My understanding is that the marked judges look at your bike and do not hold consultation with spectators (not marked as judges) but would pull me in.

It's wrong IMHO to talk with spectators while judging, especially when a spectator is stooping down and insisting to a judge that "those lowers should be rough" for example for about 5 minutes or so.

I am not saying that all of my points deductions or any were a result of that but they (judging group) should be diligent about removing that from the equation. Those kind of conversations though put a big gray area over the score and the practice should not be allowed.

It's hard enough trying to get a '65 right. I really don't like a peanut gallery (even though they might be knowledgeable) that are not judges having ANY discussion during the process.

The judges should only be talking to themselves or the owner or other judges IMHO.

Judges have to cut innuendo, assumptions, etc. '65 is especially tough as there were mid year changes and last year parts that were used "till they ran out" and then '66 parts used.

I get all that - but I don't want judges talking to anyone other than marked judges while they are working over my bike. I will say again - that's the only major complaint I have about the judging received at Jefferson. I think it
    affected my score and I think I would have had a Senior if it did not occur. If my Oley sheet doesn't count then they should really be diligent about keeping the judging conversation to within the official judging community assigned. Period. I would be willing to accept the same score if the judging at Jefferson on my bike was disqualified because of that on single complaint. And it really is my only complaint.j

In fact I can only recall ONE bike where there was help with judging from spectators and it was my bike. I think they just got carried away because they probably new and had trusted relationship with the folks that were
    chiming in. But regardless - judge my bike and don't talk to anyone but others with the authorized judge designation or me.

Begs the question as I was told after the awards that my sheet from Oley "didn't count". I can accept that but - why shold I should offer any information next round AFA keeping previous sheets available to offer in the folder. After all, the judges can look it up themselves :-) I.E. - if they don't use it or use it against you why offer it :-)

Ray
    Last edited by rbenash; 10-07-2013, 12:32 PM.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Comment

Here is the right side archire photo I mentioned, I will post the left side next, thanks, Larry

Comment

And the left side, I know quality is not good, I will try to repost with better quality, thanks, Larry

Comment

Ray I agree with your last post 100%, judges should only consult with other judges or the owner, thanks, Larry

Comment

You should see some of the Winner's Circle '65s that were judged by their owners...that were AMCA judges!

Comment

Originally posted by 36 knuck man View Post
              Ray I agree with your last post 100%, judges should only consult with other judges or the owner, thanks, Larry
              what if the judges only know about honda goldwings? if you ask the owner of the bike being judged he]ll tell you everything is 100% correct. outside help never hurts. dry your eyes and get ready for your next judging. if you know the judges are wrong bring proof with you to show them how they are wrong.
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Hey 36 Knuckman - I think I have that photo. Those lower legs don't look rough cast to me, look polished. And that seems to have a KOTH group and, wait - no little chrome trim on the bottome of the front fender :-) Those two items gigged me 1.25 points, heck I'm already at 94.5 :-) Education goes both ways. But seriously for '65 You shouldn't have to be in a position to defend the lowers and the lack of front fender trim. To me the lack of the trim on the front fender was a defining difference or one of the defining differences I should say with the '65 that I noticed early. You can't just assume that the fender trim started say in 1952 and should be on all panheads to 1965 :-) The peanut gallery I mention above was supporting the judges view that I as well as the original equipment '65 that was there "really should have" the thin metal trim on the front fender that was "on all panheads".

But even so - this is a factory photo with KOTH group and I'm pretty sure I see an exposed battery with a chrome top? The fact that I had a ribbed cover cost me 1 point. Well there was something in that for having the wrong battery terminals but I think you all get the picture. Tehcnically I think a '65 should have an exposed battery and just a black (standard) or chrome top cap is all. That's the "battery cover" on a '65.

In their defense I should have had my photo with me. I brought my book to Oley but since I was already at 98.5 afterwards I figured I didn't need to haul the big book with me - that's my fault.

And also - let's give some credit. There is a formal appeals process that I haven't executed yet. I really don't want to totally blast these guys. IMHO it's the peanut gallery that lead them a little astray.

For the windshield which was out of the box NOS '66 (Pre AMF) I was the first one to open the hardware, etc. I got gigged .75 for non peaked top and another 1 point for Windshield HW+Misc Hardware incorrect.

Understand that I have the exact same original windshield that was on the bike since new - It didn't ever have a peaked top. Needless to say though the hardware exactly matches the hardware that was on the original
                shield - why wouldn't it, it was straight out of the pre AMF box.

When I asked after the awards, what could possibly have been wrong with the windshield hardware the one judge that was on the team really couldn't answer. Sure I have some nuts and bolts that need a CP upgrade on the bike (muffler hanger bolts) but very minimal as it's all original just re-cad during the resto. So about 1.75 ponts off or so surrounding an NOS pre AMF windshield with all new original cad hardware with a rounded top. Seems harsh.

Anyway folks thanks for the feedback. I really should just go through the appeals process rather than discussing this here and give them a chance - they deserve it as a volunteer organization.

The peanut gallery was though chatting up with the judges about the battery box, the lowers. The chain guard ding was on them I'm pretty sure.
                Last edited by rbenash; 10-07-2013, 04:56 PM. Reason: Correcting my errors
                Ray
                AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                  what if the judges only know about honda goldwings? if you ask the owner of the bike being judged he]ll tell you everything is 100% correct. outside help never hurts. dry your eyes and get ready for your next judging. if you know the judges are wrong bring proof with you to show them how they are wrong.
                  Hey Rob I agree - that's my fault. That said - they should though reach out to me not someone from the audience nor should they be accepting or conversing with the audience while judging the bike IMHO. I'm with you though otherwise. But during judging those folks they were talking to could know even less than me - how would the judges know? Especially if they only know Honda Goldwings. How would they know who knows more about a '65 HD?

My eyes aren't wet buddy. It's only a motorcycle. Go have a stiff one and relax :-)
                  Last edited by rbenash; 10-07-2013, 05:02 PM.
                  Ray
                  AMCA #7140

Comment

More than enough reasons for me to never subject my equipment to judging. Too many "judges" know less than I do as to how it should be and that's not saying much. That entire part of the club can pound sand as far as I'm concerned.
                    Rich
                    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
                      Cory, It's thirty days to rug rat dropping time. Rob's going to be a poppa!
                      Well I'll be... thanks for the clue in Bob! He's got no choice now but to figure out some of that kitchen!!!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                      X