• Show
Clear All

rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

rob ronky #10507

Comment

Gonna guess Lucy took the pictures. Thanks for posting them Rob!!! Looks like decent weather.

Bob.... that's a pretty snazzy hat!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Hey Neil - you the man. Glad I had a chance to meet you and your partner at Jefferson. See you in Oley. I think the judging was great actually. I have some things that I can fix pretty readily so not all that concerned really.

Good luck with the furniture build :-)

Ray
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
            Gonna guess Lucy took the pictures. Thanks for posting them Rob!!! Looks like decent weather.

Bob.... that's a pretty snazzy hat!
            this trip i took the photos. lucy has been unchained from the stove given a new pair a shoes and sent out to work.
            rob ronky #10507

Comment

Great pics, thanks for sharing!!
              Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

You are more than welcome, sorry it wasn't a bit earlier for you. It was a pleasure to meet you and your father also. As for the judging, I'm more than pleased. Now for the winter months I have a few things to address. See you at Oley.

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
                Hey Neil - you the man. Glad I had a chance to meet you and your partner at Jefferson. See you in Oley. I think the judging was great actually. I have some things that I can fix pretty readily so not all that concerned really.

Good luck with the furniture build :-)

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                  this trip i took the photos. lucy has been unchained from the stove given a new pair a shoes and sent out to work.
                  O.K. well it's singular thanks to you then Rob... so she's off to bring home some bacon... did you figure out how to use the stove?
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                    O.K. well it's singular thanks to you then Rob... so she's off to bring home some bacon... did you figure out how to use the stove?
                    Cory, It's thirty days to rug rat dropping time. Rob's going to be a poppa!
                    AMCA #3149
                    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Finally made Jefferson again, the last was '01. Great time, great weather, and wow camping only $10 for the whole weekend. Beautiful location for those that have never been there at a perfect leaf turning time of year. Thanks to the people and all of their effort that made it happen! Bob#6738
                      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Jefferson was great. Beautiful weather, got to put a lot of miles on my 66FLH on Friday. Made the mistake of going to York and getting in all that traffic on US 30 however. Picked up my 36 Knuck frame and a few other small parts, it was a great weekend, thanks, Larry

Comment

Yeah there will always be things you look at and know you maybe know more. In the end it's all good frankly. I have to walk away from the bike during judging. It's hard for me to stand by as folks from the crowd - I'm sure they are trusted people for the mark talk to judges and affect (at least to me - mabye not clear) while they are judging your bike.

I definitely think the judges should NOT talk to anyone that does not have a judges mark on them. '65's are tough I want the feed back but definitely wished the judging team that looked at my bike were NOT talking to folks while judging that were not officially marked as judges.

It just sets up a bad vibe. We know the bikes and the effort can get emotional. While judging my bike there were 4-5 folks that I am sure are smart in their own right that were actively talking to the judges and in the end I can't help but think affected my score.

That's just wrong, at minimum sets a bad impression and bad standard for the judging program .

Judges should not be conversing with "spectators" while judging a bike. Definitley not consulting with them which was my case. Especially when the judges tell you the last review doesn't count (in my case Oley).

In the end the feedback was good, don't agree with all of it - but that's OK. I just think they hit me pretty hard because of the help from the "crowd" - that's wrong IMHO.

Judges shouldn't be talking to anyone who are not wearing the jacket IMHO. Plain and simple. They should have been talking to me not 5-6 other people "helping" them. Bad precedence.

Judging overall was welcome - the fact that they were actively conversing with other folks that were not judges or marked as such while working my bike was really bad form IMHO.

Makes it look really "clubby" and "political" to the casual observer. And not a controlled process.

Thanks for helping me stay calm :-)

Looking forward to Oley.

Ray
                          Last edited by rbenash; 10-07-2013, 07:19 AM.
                          Ray
                          AMCA #7140

Comment

Ray, post some pics of the '65 and what they dinged you on....please.

Comment

Hey I will - I'll take a look at the sheet and post out.

Again - I'm not whining. One thing that bugs me though is that whole battery box challenge with '65. AFIN the King of the highway group did include a chrome battery cover which was just a top cover. My experience is that all '65 really did not get shipped from the factory with a battery shell cover just that top cover/clamp. Stock was balck, KOtH group was chrome. That smooth case, shell was a dealer after market. I got dinged for the grooved cover in that it should be smooth and not grooved. In my view I should be able to show a naked battery with the chrome cap/cover. I think a shell cover on a '65 is purely a dealer after market and you should not take a hit. How many flat non-ribbed battery covers have you seen on factory shipped KoTH '65 FLH's? My epxerience is none. I did get hit with terminal hardware on the battery too, but I think that part was minimal, not sure if it was just he screws/bolts or the fact that I left my tender/charger plug connnected.

Another issue was the hole in my fender intended for when you mount the deluxe buddy seat (that long banana style seat). My experience has been that some bikes shipped from the factory with that hole, but could be wrong. I got hit good for that.

And - got hit for my windshield which is NOS out of the box not having the peaked top. My understanding is that some KoTH bikes got shipped with the non-peaked top as the old style (65 was last year for peaked WS) was shipped with KoTH group until the peaks ran out and the rounded got sent. I got hit pretty hard for the non-peaked top. Guess I'll put a peaked re-pop top on it for judging.

Also got hit for my fork lowers not being rough cast. That was a 5 min or more discussion the judges had with the "bystanders" I mentioned. I got hit good for that. The lowers on this bike and many other '65 and the following shovels were all polished that I've seen. But hey I'll take that hit if they are supposed to be rough cast on '65 like the side covers (my side covers are correct).

They hated on my enclosed chain guard - original dealer acessory. They wanted the black guard on as it was shipped from the factor that way. Don't like the fact that If I want to add a point I would need to take that enclosed guard off and put the black one back on. I really like it - keeps the rear wheel clean. But hey maybe I should bite the bullet and put the full guard on after I'm done with judging. Thing is I didn't expect a big hit as it was an acessory and I thought you didn't get hit for that. It's original HD and in the accessory catalogs. Guess it's because I have a restoration, not sure.

Anyway I'll walk the the chit sheet and post photo's/comments. Will take a little time but will be good grist for folks getting '65's judged. I appreciate the judges and the judging program - want to be clear. But interested in others feedback and input on their experience with '65's. All good - if it makes my restoration better I'm OK with it. Bottom line I want to do it in a way that is not whining on the judges and just talking about my experience to help others getting their bikes judged.

Thinking I might move this discussion to the Panhead board instead once I get the summary together? It will probably take me a few days to put the summary together. I like the Jefferson crowd and meet and am going back next year!

Hey - missed my Senior with 93.25 after a 98.5 at Oley for Junior First. So just a little surprised, caught off guard as I didn't change anything on the bike except for manifold clamps after Oley.

Ray
                              Last edited by rbenash; 10-07-2013, 10:50 AM.
                              Ray
                              AMCA #7140

Comment

Ray, I understand why you are frustrated, I too had an org paint 65 judged at Fla and then again at Jefferson. My score in Fla was 96 plus and Jefferson was 94 plus. I was also docked for the battery cover, my bike came without the side cover from the factory and the top cover is black which is absoutley correct. I have the factory archive photos with the part #s and if I ever have it judged again I will have those with me. I would love to get my 65 to the winners circle but am just a little frustrated also. And I too admire the judges for volunteering to do that job, it is very tough and for the most part they do an outstanding job, just wanted to share my experience with you. I started to stay for the judging and enter my op 66FLH but had 2nd thoughts because I know some of them would say that my bike has been repainted because there is some what looks to be sparkling burgundy paint under the indigo blue. I have been with this bike since the day it was ordered and the day it was picked up at the dealership, it has never been touched. There was 2 more indigo blue 66 FLH s at Jefferson, both were org paint and both had the sparking burgundy showing in some spots. I have heard a lot of people say that Harley would paint over colors just so they could sell and ship the bike, I don't doubt that a bit, remember this was in the 60's. Just my thoughts, Larry

Comment

Working...
                                X