Springer Rod stabiliser top clamp

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • T. Cotten
    replied
    Imagine doin' carbs made of the stuff, Laurie...

    Leadpested.jpg

    Even bronze models had zinc venturies to the very end..
    ledpestv.jpg


    ...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-28-2023, 09:50 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Laurie
    replied
    Cotton
    wished we had got to this part of the post earlier, "Bloody Pot Metal" so I found out I'm not as smart as I think, I levelled the top nuts on my 38 ULH springer with a engineers rule so they were flat across the 2 then put the stabiliser on, so im tightening the dome nuts down slowly and SNAP! F#*K!!
    so it has been glued back together and now sits on a shelf with my other rare bits.
    cheers & Beers
    Laurie

    Leave a comment:


  • T. Cotten
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommo View Post
    It's done it again, split my text up, I think I'll give up.
    I avoid that, Tommo,

    By hitting 'enter' a couple of times between texts and where I pin a pic. But then I still have to edit every post; This forum's format could have been infinitely simpler!

    Back to the stabilizers, its no mystery why they are rare if they switched to potmetal (monkey metal to Brits, according to wikipeedeeya. The article on ZAMAK changes often, and now it has switched back to calling cracking 'leadpest', instead of 'zincpest', which could make a piece break just sitting on the shelf.)

    The only dating of ZAMAK I have seen was some literature posted by George Yarocki (before I had the webchops to save it). Apparently Schebler started using it in June of '29.

    ....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-22-2023, 09:35 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Laurie
    replied
    Eric
    Thanks for that, it is exactly as pictured in catalogue page Dated May 1st 1930 # 11525-26 and is cast in Pot metal
    Thanks for all the Info Fellas, greatly appreciated!!
    Cheers & Beers
    Laurie

    Leave a comment:


  • Tommo
    replied
    It's done it again, split my text up, I think I'll give up.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tommo
    replied
    I should have said that if you have a RIDE Control fitted to your VL you can't fit a fork stabilizer as they both use the same top mountings.
    Somehow in the previous post it split the text and put the final few words at the bottom and attached the 1931 page again as an attached file.
    Don't know what I'm doing wrong but sorry about that.
    Also shown on this post is two photos of two fork stabilizers that I have that are not fitted and shows one of the die cast ones that are cast in a pot metal and haven't survived very well.
    You can see where mine is broken and although they are fairly common here in N Z they all seem to appear broken and be beyond repair.
    Where they sit in the evo AMCA 5.JPGAMCA 4.JPG lution of this fitment I'm not sure but suspect it's a cost saving measure bought about by the world wide slump at that time and every other one I have are cast bronze or brass.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tommo
    replied
    I've had a look through my accessory catalogues and have come up with the following 4 excerpts.
    Inspection will reveal small diferences as the fork stabilizers evolve and I've included the whole page from the 1931 catalogue as it shows some interesting bits.That Eagle looks pretty impresive.
    Be aware that all the catalogues I've taken excerpts from have this heading "INSPECTED and APPROVED ACCESSORIES" so approved parts from other AMCA 1.jpgAMCA 2.jpgAMCA 3.jpg companies are legitimate period fittings on a Harley.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Speeding Big Twin
    replied
    Picture below is from volume II of a 1998 book called Ride Free Forever but originally it was apparently from a Harley accessory catalog. Similar to the picture posted by Cotten but with an extra part number.
    Eric






    Leave a comment:


  • Laurie
    replied
    I'll pick this up on the weekend at a Swap in Qld, so when i get back i'll get some closer pic's and post them.
    Cotton I can enlarge the first pic and its definitely not a separate Pin stuck to it, as the finish on the background all looks the same right across the brace surface,
    the area around the Bar & Shield is an off white color and around the holes it is Green
    Thanks for all the input fellas

    Cheers & Beers

    Leave a comment:


  • RichO
    replied
    Cotton, I can enlarge it a bit and the bar and shield and raised areas look nickeled and the two round outside flats are painted black and the center flat is a color I can't I.D. All the painted areas have chips. My two stainless repops are polished on the raised areas and the bar and shield and satin in the low areas.

    Leave a comment:


  • T. Cotten
    replied
    As I posted, the first pic won't enlarge for me, Rich,

    Is it enamelled like a pin, or just painted?

    (The real ones, I mean; Looks like jewelry!)

    ...Cotten

    Leave a comment:


  • RichO
    replied
    Just like his first photo That's part of the casting not an appiique.

    Leave a comment:


  • RichO
    replied
    No, it's not an appligue it's part and parcel of the casting.

    Leave a comment:


  • T. Cotten
    replied
    Originally posted by RichO View Post
    No, mine have the bar and shield and the center is quite a bit higher than the area with the holes. Chuck Vogel made mine and they are stainbless off an original. I used to have a few of the j model type. I've seen some on flea bay.
    So basically, Rich,

    You are saying they have an applique?

    ....Cotten

    Leave a comment:


  • RichO
    replied
    No, mine have the bar and shield and the center is quite a bit higher than the area with the holes. Chuck Vogel made mine and they are stainbless off an original. I used to have a few of the j model type. I've seen some on flea bay.

    Leave a comment:

Working...