No announcement yet.

Springer Rod stabiliser top clamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picture below is from volume II of a 1998 book called Ride Free Forever but originally it was apparently from a Harley accessory catalog. Similar to the picture posted by Cotten but with an extra part number.
    Eric

Comment

I've had a look through my accessory catalogues and have come up with the following 4 excerpts.
      Inspection will reveal small diferences as the fork stabilizers evolve and I've included the whole page from the 1931 catalogue as it shows some interesting bits.That Eagle looks pretty impresive.
      Be aware that all the catalogues I've taken excerpts from have this heading "INSPECTED and APPROVED ACCESSORIES" so approved parts from other AMCA 1.jpgAMCA 2.jpgAMCA 3.jpg companies are legitimate period fittings on a Harley.
      Attached Files
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

I should have said that if you have a RIDE Control fitted to your VL you can't fit a fork stabilizer as they both use the same top mountings.
        Somehow in the previous post it split the text and put the final few words at the bottom and attached the 1931 page again as an attached file.
        Don't know what I'm doing wrong but sorry about that.
        Also shown on this post is two photos of two fork stabilizers that I have that are not fitted and shows one of the die cast ones that are cast in a pot metal and haven't survived very well.
        You can see where mine is broken and although they are fairly common here in N Z they all seem to appear broken and be beyond repair.
        Where they sit in the evo AMCA 5.JPGAMCA 4.JPG lution of this fitment I'm not sure but suspect it's a cost saving measure bought about by the world wide slump at that time and every other one I have are cast bronze or brass.
        A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

It's done it again, split my text up, I think I'll give up.
          A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Eric
            Thanks for that, it is exactly as pictured in catalogue page Dated May 1st 1930 # 11525-26 and is cast in Pot metal
            Thanks for all the Info Fellas, greatly appreciated!!
            Cheers & Beers
            Laurie

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
              It's done it again, split my text up, I think I'll give up.
              I avoid that, Tommo,

By hitting 'enter' a couple of times between texts and where I pin a pic. But then I still have to edit every post; This forum's format could have been infinitely simpler!

Back to the stabilizers, its no mystery why they are rare if they switched to potmetal (monkey metal to Brits, according to wikipeedeeya. The article on ZAMAK changes often, and now it has switched back to calling cracking 'leadpest', instead of 'zincpest', which could make a piece break just sitting on the shelf.)

The only dating of ZAMAK I have seen was some literature posted by George Yarocki (before I had the webchops to save it). Apparently Schebler started using it in June of '29.

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-22-2023, 10:35 AM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotton
                wished we had got to this part of the post earlier, "Bloody Pot Metal" so I found out I'm not as smart as I think, I levelled the top nuts on my 38 ULH springer with a engineers rule so they were flat across the 2 then put the stabiliser on, so im tightening the dome nuts down slowly and SNAP! F#*K!!
                so it has been glued back together and now sits on a shelf with my other rare bits.
                cheers & Beers
                Laurie

Comment

Imagine doin' carbs made of the stuff, Laurie...

Leadpested.jpg

Even bronze models had zinc venturies to the very end..
                  ledpestv.jpg

...Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-28-2023, 10:50 AM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                  X