Windshield plastic replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield plastic replace?

With the weather in that "transition" mode I thought I'd put on the windshield that I got when I bought my 1946 Chief. The screen is too wavy to see through, so I thought I'd buy some "plexiglass" and cut out a new piece. The windshield is in 2 pieces and is 22" wide and 24" high. The windshield "glass" is about .040. I'm not even sure this is an "Indian" windshield. Is "regular" Plexiglass/LEXAN at the home centerS OK for this type of use? I think all that is like 1/8" thick. Thoughts?? Anyone make their own?? Also... where would I get that GOLD beading that surrounds the windshield? (I can't seem to upload any photos right now;I'll try to add some later)
    Last edited by Jim; 11-06-2021, 03:03 PM.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

I cut my share from Lexan, Jim!

And polished out the edge because the beading wasn't available.

I remember "gold beading" on seats, but I think the windshield stuff just aged badly; I've seen it 'tobacco' brown.

The thinner acrylic than Lexan escapes my memory, but closer to period correct. Home improvement store window sheets might be just the ticket, but not as pebble-proof, so finding a plastics supplier might be prudent.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten, I've been reading all about the "differences" between "Lexan" and Plexiglass and Polycarbonate for about an hour now. I'm exhausted! So, for a mini explanation, Lexan is a Polycarbonate whereas Plexiglass (trade name) is an Acrylic. You can be the judge... Acrylics will stay clear and not be affected by UV, can be polished etc. Lexan (trade name) is more durable against stones or rocks, birds etc. hitting your windshield. OK... there are a TON of differences that I've found, but can't list them all here. I DID read that all helmet face shields must be made from Polycarbonate now.

I still can't upload any photos... says there is an Error uploading image.

Check out this site to compare the two types of "plastic".

https://www.acmeplastics.com/acrylic-vs-polycarbonate
      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Jim!
        When I got my 46 it had an aftermarket windshield fitted but the upper part of the windscreen was broken; but I had the pieces.
        This bike is 'matching numbers' but my goal is not to have it judged. This bike has been in my family 40+ years and I just wanted it close to the way it was when my older brother rode it.
        Long winded explanation to say I found a used H-D screen close to size I needed CHEAP and using measurements from "my original", tape and a jig saw blade for plastics carved a new one that works. Winter weather is coming and everyone needs project. Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks Paul I'll try and "remember" to post when and how I get this fixed so others that do a "windshield" search will find some type of answer they may be looking for.
          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Years ago I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of .085" thick Lexan to make a windshield. I have since made several from it. I had some beading given to me recently and have yet to find a glue for it.
            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
              Years ago I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of .085" thick Lexan to make a windshield. I have since made several from it. I had some beading given to me recently and have yet to find a glue for it.
              Tom
              Lexan is a brand name for Polycarbonate. How about some "Krazy Glue" or "Super Glue" or some other type of Cyanoacrylate glue? That stuff worked pretty good on some ceramic I had. According to this article it will work fine:

Do you know where the beading came from? I don't mean the guy that gave it to you... but the place he got it from? I haven't really DUG around to much yet either.

SCROLL down for the paragraph about Super Glue
              https://www.acmeplastics.com/content...onate-plastic/
              Last edited by Jim; 11-07-2021, 07:34 AM.
              Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

I don't remember where he said he got the beading from. It was some time ago he got it and ended up not using it. Unfortunately he is no longer with us.
                Tom

Comment

Posted above today under different thread:

Vendor, Services and Supplier Information Forum

Sirhmechanic indicates JP cycles

Buster reports

"National Cycle windshield sells the beading separate"

Comment

Thanks Paul, I'll look into that!!

OK, so today I was finally was able to upload some pictures of my windshield just so you can see what I've got. I do believe (now that I've read up on this stuff) that it's Polycarbonate (Lexan) and not Plexiglass. The first pic shows how "wavy" it is. I highly doubt it's anything but a repro windshield that was made for Indian Chief back in the mid/late 1980s.and sold by "INDIAN MOTORCYCLE NEWS". I got a few catalogs of that place when I bought the Chief in Oct. 2020. I am not positive it came from them, but... he had other things "checked off" throughout the catalog.
                    20211103_152606.jpg20211106_134512.jpg20211106_134258.jpg20211106_135007.jpg
                    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Jim: Maybe your current trim could be saved and reused??

After my last post I searched for windshield trim on both J&P cycle and National Cycle Windshields but did not find any listed. Perhaps if they were called directly.
                      I did find this on Dennis Kirk
                      Sno-Stuff Black Windshield Trim - 452-801 Snowmobile | Dennis Kirk
                      One of the reviews noted that this is snowmobile windscreen trim and meant for thinner material but had success using on his motorcycle windshield.
                      Searched "vintage windshield trim" on Ebay and there were a few postings: black, "chrome" and clear.

Comment

Thanks Paul! More to "think" about!! I have NOT tried to remove my trim. I also want to check out door edge trim as well at the local Autozone store.
                        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

I checked the beading that was given to me. One reason I have not used it yet is because the groove is too narrow for my windshield. I plan to cut the groove wider. I bought a slitting blade the right thickness but have not yet got to trying it.
                          Tom

Comment

Here is a picture of the windshield beading 004.jpg end of the beading I have. It is 3/8" diameter.
                            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
                              Here is a picture of the end of the beading I have. It is 3/8" diameter.
                              Tom
                              Tom, I haven't measured the diameter of mine... I'll do that today. My windshield is very thin as well. 0.050 close enough to say 1/16" I'd say. I SHOULD mic it again just to be sure... measure twice cut once! GOOD LUCK with the groove slicer!!

Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                              X