Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDSmitty
    replied
    Having worked with both polycarbonate and plexiglass quite a bit, I'd say you got lucky cutting it with snips. If there's only a limited supply to be used, I would NOT use snips. A fine tooth blade on a band saw works well or a jigsaw if you put plenty of tape down to protect it from vibration scratches. Hope this helps.......Smitty

Leave a comment:

• BigLakeBob
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim View Post
    Thanks for that Info Bob!!! I ordered my Polycarbonate today. I ordered a 24"X24X1/16"". My original plastic is 0.050 thick, whereas 1/16" = .062 This isn't the "hardened" stuff that National Cycle uses to help with scratches and stuff like that (There's is MUCH better than what I'm going to use. .085 is just a cat whisker thicker than .062 (1/16") I mean... what is .020? OK... it's 1/50th of an inch. SMALL! Thanks for that view of the National Cycle bead!! I'm going to do one thing at a time right now. First was to order the polycarbonate... then, after I get it, I'll cut it to shape, THEN I'll figure out what beading to use. I still haven't tried to remove the original stuff. But, I'm going to wait until the new plastic comes and I can start on it then.
    Hopefully the 1/16" will be fine as I do not know if National tested various thicknesses and settled on .085 for a particular reason. Even though .020 is only 1/50th of an inch your 1/16 windshield will be 25% thinner than a National. I guess you'll find out if it matters, hopefully not. I glanced in McMaster and didn't see any closely resembled trim right off.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Wilcock
    replied
    I cut my .085" thick Lexan with tin snips with no problems of cracking. I then sand the edge. Maybe I was lucky.
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Thanks for that Info Bob!!! I ordered my Polycarbonate today. I ordered a 24"X24X1/16"". My original plastic is 0.050 thick, whereas 1/16" = .062 This isn't the "hardened" stuff that National Cycle uses to help with scratches and stuff like that (There's is MUCH better than what I'm going to use. .085 is just a cat whisker thicker than .062 (1/16") I mean... what is .020? OK... it's 1/50th of an inch. SMALL! Thanks for that view of the National Cycle bead!! I'm going to do one thing at a time right now. First was to order the polycarbonate... then, after I get it, I'll cut it to shape, THEN I'll figure out what beading to use. I still haven't tried to remove the original stuff. But, I'm going to wait until the new plastic comes and I can start on it then.

Leave a comment:

• BigLakeBob
    replied
    I bought a beaded windshield for my Panhead from National Cycle several months ago. In the lower corner it says 'polycarbonate'. The windshield in .085 thick. Attached is a picture of the molding. The smaller area that slips on the windshield in .083 and the wider top area is about .125 with a 13/32 (.406) diameter. I cut 3 inches off the top because it was too high for my liking. I cut the same amount off the bottom of the bead. The form of the bead snapped right back on the windshield even though I cut off the top of the shield and the bottom of the bead. If you find beading that will work for you I suggest heating and forming the bead before trying an adhesive. Good luck, let us know the results.

DSC06790mp.JPG

Leave a comment:

• chuckthebeatertruck
    replied
    As for adhesives -- we make a lot of lexan vitrines at the office -- the "glue" of choice is clear acrylic cement. It's not cheap and not exactly fume free. Generally around $1-2 per fluid ounce from online plastic suppliers. Just punch in: "lexan clear acrylic adhesive" and you'll get a dozen commercial choices.

Over the counter adhesives generally lose their chemical punch before they fully "solvent" weld the relatively thick lexan. The commercial adhesives don't have this issue and you MUST be very careful to only apply adhesive where you want it. Any excess can create a streaked or spotted mess instantly.

Leave a comment:

• chuckthebeatertruck
    replied
    I haven't made one in more than a decade, but like others, I used straight Lexan. At the time, I was mostly cutting fly screens with a compound curve. I had a nice buck and I can't remember the temperature (my brain wants to say 250 F) but the Lexan was easy to drape and shape when hot. I don't recall any issues other than going slow to cut.

In fact, I'm trying to remember ANY details on it. It really just didn't present any trouble making my own.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
    Here is a picture of the end of the beading I have. It is 3/8" diameter.
    Tom
    Tom, I haven't measured the diameter of mine... I'll do that today. My windshield is very thin as well. 0.050 close enough to say 1/16" I'd say. I SHOULD mic it again just to be sure... measure twice cut once! GOOD LUCK with the groove slicer!!

Leave a comment:

• Tom Wilcock
    replied
    Here is a picture of the windshield beading 004.jpg end of the beading I have. It is 3/8" diameter.
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• Tom Wilcock
    replied
    I checked the beading that was given to me. One reason I have not used it yet is because the groove is too narrow for my windshield. I plan to cut the groove wider. I bought a slitting blade the right thickness but have not yet got to trying it.
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Thanks Paul! More to "think" about!! I have NOT tried to remove my trim. I also want to check out door edge trim as well at the local Autozone store.

Leave a comment:

• PaulCDF
    replied
    Jim: Maybe your current trim could be saved and reused??

After my last post I searched for windshield trim on both J&P cycle and National Cycle Windshields but did not find any listed. Perhaps if they were called directly.
    I did find this on Dennis Kirk
    Sno-Stuff Black Windshield Trim - 452-801 Snowmobile | Dennis Kirk
    One of the reviews noted that this is snowmobile windscreen trim and meant for thinner material but had success using on his motorcycle windshield.
    Searched "vintage windshield trim" on Ebay and there were a few postings: black, "chrome" and clear.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Thanks Paul, I'll look into that!!

OK, so today I was finally was able to upload some pictures of my windshield just so you can see what I've got. I do believe (now that I've read up on this stuff) that it's Polycarbonate (Lexan) and not Plexiglass. The first pic shows how "wavy" it is. I highly doubt it's anything but a repro windshield that was made for Indian Chief back in the mid/late 1980s.and sold by "INDIAN MOTORCYCLE NEWS". I got a few catalogs of that place when I bought the Chief in Oct. 2020. I am not positive it came from them, but... he had other things "checked off" throughout the catalog.
    20211103_152606.jpg20211106_134512.jpg20211106_134258.jpg20211106_135007.jpg

Leave a comment:

• PaulCDF
    replied
    Posted above today under different thread:

Vendor, Services and Supplier Information Forum

Sirhmechanic indicates JP cycles

Buster reports

"National Cycle windshield sells the beading separate"

Leave a comment:

• Tom Wilcock
    replied
    I don't remember where he said he got the beading from. It was some time ago he got it and ended up not using it. Unfortunately he is no longer with us.
    Tom

Leave a comment:

Working...
X