X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deceased AMCA Members in 2024

Deceased AMCA Members in 2024

When members pass away, we are sometimes notified by other members or family members. In some cases, we find out through this forum or chapter newsletters, but we felt it would be best to build a list for each year. At the very minimum to list those members we have lost. This is by no means a complete list, only those we have been notified of. If you know any of them and have more information, please start a new topic with their name and pass along more information, bio's, stories, etc. Help keep members' names alive by sharing their stories - Keith

Member #, Name, City/St, Member Since
    #10358, Forest Adams, Stewartsville, NJ, member since 2001
    #33979, Timothy Behrendt, Las Vegas, NV, member since 2018
    #2331, Leon Blackman, Emmaus, PA, member since 1971 (50-Year Member)
    #1484, Gregory Bowden, Saint Clair Shores, MI, member since 1990
    #20890, Danny Burns, Middletown, MD, member since 2012
    #488, Hewey Goodridge, Guilford, ME, member since 2007
    #12844, Dan Klenke, Pacific, MO, member since 2005
    #770, Rober Klopfenstein, Menomonee Falls, WI, member since 1983
    #43820, James McCallion, Bridgewater, CT, member since 2022
    #5928, Edward Osantowski, Columbus, NE, member since 1993
    #3655, Budd Redmond, Haysville, KS, member since 1986
    #1050, Gordon Salisbury, Burnaby, CAN, member since 1967 (50-Year Member)
    #18911, Dennis Stout, Sachse, TX, member since 2011
    #9535 Glen Ulvog, Lansing MI, member since 2003
    #42, Howard Wagner, Omaha, NE, member since 1983
    #10121, Ron Watt, Willow Grove, PA, member since 2004
    #2148, Ed Youngblood, Inverness, FL, member since 1987
    Last edited by Keith Kizer; 04-11-2024, 05:04 PM.

Greg was a great guy. So much knowledge on bikes and things from oil cans to license plates. Happy to have known him and able to call him a friend. Fun story of Greg from years ago... I knew who Greg was but as a younger guy at the time in the AMCA the older guys didn't always talk much to me. Someone was asking Greg about a part on his table and Greg replied the price was " 50 Jacksons" or he would take "10 Franklins" or he would also take a "Grover" in trade. I was not even in the conversation but just kind of smiled and said out load "Grover Cleveland, my favorite president". Greg looked over at me and said... "Oh yeah? What do you know about Grover kid?" and my reply was "I know he is on the $1000 bill." He then said he has been saying the same line of **** at swap meets for 25 some years and I was the first person to actually get what he meant by "Trade for a Grover". After that we became good friends and looked forward to catching up at meets all over or occasionally grabbing food at a meet here or there. Totally going to miss this guy. Here are a few pics from his service that a few motorcycle folks traveled from near and far in a snow storm to pay respects to our friend.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Sad that all that knowledge is now gone. I see another old guru Dave Leitner. It would be great if someone could interview these guys for posterity. Surprised the AMCA hasn't come up with that idea.Those videos that Joe Gardella ( RIP) made about his cannonball bike construction are priceless.

Comment

Yes, Dave & Jan Leitner were very good friends with Greg, they were totally devastated by his sudden passing.

*R.i.P. Greg.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

IMG_20231230_215919072.jpg IMG_20240204_144602.jpg
          2/3/24 We lost our long time friend, our mentor and AMCA member Ronald Watt due to complications of a long battle with Parkinson's. He was a major asset in the motorcycle hobby with a successful shop in Glenside, PA. since the early 70's known as The Bike Works. "With out you there would be no us" R.I.P. our friend, The Oley Boyz
          1959 XLCH

Comment

On January 30, 2024 we lost Gordon Salisbury of Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada. Gordon joined the AMCA in 1967 and remained active in the hobby until his final months. Over the past 50+ years he rescued dozens of early American motorcycles, riding some and simply storing others. In the words of one of our chapter members "Gordon never sold a bike but rather placed a bike with new caretakers after a thorough interview." He was a real detail guy and a wealth of knowledge, and one who saw the importance of preserving an original paint bike long before the rest of us.

Members all over the Pacific Northwest will remember Gordon fondly and miss his presence at local meets and club meetings.

IMG_4668c.jpg
            Gordon Salisbury.jpg

Comment

I'll miss seeing Leon at Oley, he was a knowledgeable guy and showed me his nice first paint 1931 VL.

We should not lose all this knowledge now we have digital recording and desktop publishing. I like the idea of interviewing older guys for the archives, that is a project that needs a leader. And desktop publishing means we can write vanity project books with low circulations that preserve our knowledge for the next generation.

Comment

About 40 years ago when I got my 1914 original paint Excelsior and was looking for a picture or pattern to make the missing primary chain guard Gordon removed the chain guard from his original paint bike and mailed it to me. I could not believe that someone would send such an irreplaceable original paint part from their motorcycle. I dropped everything I was doing and made a couple of replicas and returned Gord's original and a replica in the next day's mail. Every time I hear Gordon's name I think of this.
                Tom

Comment

Tom I too was saddened to hear of Gord's passing. He stayed over at my place around 40 years ago and he came to see my 13 Indian while travelling across the prairies. He mailed me calendars from his local chapter to sell here to our local chapter . A true gentleman
                  Ross

Comment

Yesterday we lost our beloved friend and mentor, Howard Wagner, 96 years old. See story on AMCA website and funeral arrangements. Old Motorcycles wanted to attend.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Always liked talking to Howard.Many moons ago,I had a 1910 Wagner catalog 4sale at Davenport.Howard was afraid to look inside because of value scared him.He said his was 1911 so not the same.I pointed out it showed Wagner history from 1901 to 1910.He walked away,came back,bought it & told me to not tell his wife!...I didn't know his wife!

Comment

I didn't know Howard very well, but enjoyed seeing him at the Florida meets with Bud Cox, and Jerry Ottaway. He was a very talented fabricator, and machinist and a wealth of information, and experience. Rest in Peace, Howard and my deepest condolences to his family, and many friends. A lot of people benefitted from knowing such a talented man like Howard Wagner.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Here's the direct link to Howards Obituary.
                          https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...agner-11725911

Comment

Howard's Service will be Live Streamed for those who would cannot attend. Click on the link above to the funeral home. The service is this Friday, March 29th at 10:00am Central.

Comment

Working...
                            X