Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Couple questions for a new '46 Chief owner

Quote Originally Posted by pisten-bully View Post
    I am NOT an authority on electrical matters so if I'm wrong I hope someone will jump in!
    See? I told you so!

I guess I was thinking that if you need to protect a 12v system at 15 amps, then you should protect the same system ...if it were 6 volt...at 30 amps. But Jim didn't ask that question, sorry to muddy the waters

(I've got a 12v system with a 15 amp breaker)
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

I like the in line fuse holder.
    It makes an easy disconnect if needed.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tfburke3 View Post
    I like the in line fuse holder.
    It makes an easy disconnect if needed.
    Tom
    I may just go with a fuse holder and carry a couple spares. I mean... if a fuse keeps blowing, there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pisten-bully View Post
    See? I told you so!

I guess I was thinking that if you need to protect a 12v system at 15 amps, then you should protect the same system ...if it were 6 volt...at 30 amps. But Jim didn't ask that question, sorry to muddy the waters

(I've got a 12v system with a 15 amp breaker)
    You're right, I didn't say if mine was 6V or 12V. I didn't even think about your Indian being converted to 12V. However, I think I read that yours was 12V not too long ago somewhere here in the forums... (I think).
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Well I found out that the sealed beams in BOTH spot lights are bad. I pulled out both bulbs and did a continuity test between the spades. Neither one had continuity. I know they are reproduction or "generic" 6V lights. They say GE 4510 on the back and are sealed beams. I wonder why BOTH lights are blown out.

I removed the speedometer I'm sending it out to Terry to have it cleaned and gone over.
    Last edited by Jim; 11-20-2020 at 05:17 PM.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Vibration and cycling, turning on and off, of filament bulbs are two big enemies of light bulbs AC or DC. Overvoltage assures almost immediate failure as well.
    I have a filament type spotlight bulb lighting the flag in front of my home that has been on constantly for at least five years and I would bet it was made in China, no it is not a testament to Chinese manufacturing, it is never turned off. In the world of motorcycling that is just not practical. A hot filament subjected to constant vibration reduces its useful life dramatically.
    I tired of changing the spotlight bulbs on my '97 FLSTS and changed them to LED's. I believe they are making more 6V LED's for a lot of applications. These are great for riders not for show. The wattage is generally lower as well so your bike's electrical system will love them.

Thanks Lyle, I'll keep that in mind about the LED type.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

I’m going to chime in on question 2. I would look in the rear drive first, as it is really common that the two tabs on the drive washer breaks off and renders the speedo useless.

Howdy sir,

Valid point but he does mention it’s clicking at the head unit. The speedo on my much loved 346 dragged out of multi decade storage in 91 with 18k miles was also making ominous noises and only registering mileage not speed. Hesitant to send off this irreplaceable piece, with a few Hail Mary’s took it apart and with a thorough clean lube and one small adjustment it has worked perfectly since. As mentioned, daunting amount of parts but far better quality than the SW on my 348.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cooke View Post
    Thanks for that Link Peter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oilcan View Post
    I’m going to chime in on question 2. I would look in the rear drive first, as it is really common that the two tabs on the drive washer breaks off and renders the speedo useless.
    I had heard that they do break, but the cable was turning and the "miles" were adding up, but the speedometer MPH needle wasn't moving at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PRG View Post
    Howdy sir,
    Valid point but he does mention it’s clicking at the head unit. The speedo on my much loved 346 dragged out of multi decade storage in 91 with 18k miles was also making ominous noises and only registering mileage not speed. Hesitant to send off this irreplaceable piece, with a few Hail Mary’s took it apart and with a thorough clean lube and one small adjustment it has worked perfectly since. As mentioned, daunting amount of parts but far better quality than the SW on my 348.
    Yes, I was also "leary" of sending it off, but I decided that I would go ahead and send it to Terry Marsh.
    Last edited by Jim; 11-22-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    Jim

AMCA #6520