Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1940 UA valve covers and tappet guides

Why do you want to replace the tappet guides and valve covers ??

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 41craig View Post
    Why do you want to replace the tappet guides and valve covers ??

Craig
    I want to go to the threaded style because the spring style seem to leak on me a fair amount. I hope to see less leakage on the threaded ones.
    Eric Olson
    Membership #18488

I'm struggling with the later UL valve covers, all repro and with a repro spring tool. Any tips out there?

The UL used the VL tappet guides in 1937 and 1938. The valve covers are as the VL, but with the top one 1/4" taller to compensate for the longer stroke motor. I think Colony are also reproducing these. It's handy to have both VL valve cover tools, the hook at the bottom as well as the slimline wrench for the middle section. Sealing depends on the rubbers. My last Colony set came with O-rings that didn't do the job. I now use the 45 ones with no problems. Originally the seals were leather strips with angled ends, so you could replace the seals without pulling the cylinder. Haven't seen these for a long time, and guessing they were fixed with 'the old reliable shellac' as the accessory catalogs.

The screw style tappet guides and lifters last a long time and used ones are usually OK for further service, especially if you have several and can mix and match. Most will need new rollers. New guides and new lifters are available, and in oversizes too.

If assembly is a problem, filing a lead on the retainer tab helps tremendously. valve cover retainer.JPG

To confirm, the colony covers I used are cad plated.

I got the valve covers from Replicant metals, along with new tappet guides from 45 Restoration Company, and they appear to go on just fine. No work needed to thread them together. Now hopefully once the engine is back together I wont see any leaks.
    Eric Olson
    Membership #18488