Thread: 1929 model C 500cc facts

Default 1929 model C 500cc facts

Hi

I have just started to restore a 1929 model C Harley Davidson. I am curious to know how many of the 1929 500cc model where produced.
    All other facts for this model is also welcome.
    Thanks

The Harley black book shows 1582 C models made that year, so good sales in the first year as for the D model small twin. I restored two 1930C models and found Johnny Sells' book on the 1929-36 45s a big help. Cycle parts are as for the small twins but engine parts are hard to find. I had to make a small batch of head gaskets and probably have a couple left. There are one year parts in '29s and they were made as entry level models, so many have been thrashed and the survival rate is not high. They are not yet big money bikes for collectors. The weak point is the gearbox and clutch from the A and B singles, but not as bad as on the early 45s. At least you don't have the vertical generator.

Thanks Steve for the reply.
    I am just waiting for the second edition of Johnny sells' book to be available.
    My bike is in fairly good condition, except for the paint. It has been repainted at some point and its look terrible and graphics are wrong. So I will get repainted as it was original. The biggest challenge right now is the exhaust muffler. I have learned from my research that I am not the only one with that problem :-). I have the correct muffler so I will have to reproduce some parts for that one and get it renovated.