Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ping, ping and ping

Default Ping, ping and ping

Here I go again with more darn questions about my bike. I was riding today and my bike started spark knocking at half to full throttle, the temp was about 92F. I did a night run and it sparked knocked at full throttle.
    I static timed the bike about 500 miles ago and re checked it several times. The gas is 93 octane in a 69flh with sidecar.
    I will check the timing again tomorrow, but was kind of worried about temperature as I am not running an oil cooler, but I really think I should.

Shovels need an oil cooler! Aftermarket took care of the first couple of years till the factory caught on. Flh's are really prone to pinging. With a sidecar you really have the load on. High octane is a must. Timing is a little tricky with the self advance timer.
    DrSprocket

When was the last time you changed advance springs?

Quote Originally Posted by tomfiii View Post
    When was the last time you changed advance springs?
    I honestly cannot remember when I changed them, but I can get close, The bike had been in storage for about 9 years with no miles and they were changed about 20k before that.
    Should I go ahead and order a set? Where and which type to get? Any American made suppliers?

Really hard to find. Awhile back my HD dealer went on line with the part number and I found some back east in another dealer obsolete stuff. V-Twins are weak and don't waste your money. I'll look but I don't think I have any left.
    DrSprocket

So I take tjere are no springs from GM or Ford? Lol

Will 1970 up springs work?

1970 springs are for a cone head, totally different.
    DrSprocket

I reset the points and timed my bike again with the flywheel line in the middle of the window, the pre ignition is still there on mid to hard throttle before the bike has had time to get hot, still running Sunoco 93 octane.
    I am going to back the timing off closer to the front of the window, if this doesn't work, going to dissect the distributor.

ps: Any good advise on an oil cooler to run? I have some old school oil coolers that are not turbulent, so I think I should stick to a modern one. I am wondering how many row, size etc. I do have a new manual bypass valve.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by ryan; 08-30-2020 at 09:15 AM.

H-D always tried to use lower compression for sidecar rigs. Other than that a timer with an adjustable advance curve would help, factory auto advance is too quick. Dual plug heads help as well for a flame front from both sides overcoming some of the Hemi drawbacks..
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736