Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 54 Panhead Frame

Default 54 Panhead Frame

Trying to identify a 54 frame and was wondering when Harley started stamping the motor mount with a date code? I'm sure this first question is going to lead to other identifier questions, but I wanted to start with this question first.

Thanks
    John

1952 is the first year they used a date code on the upper motor mount.

Quote Originally Posted by sieber60 View Post
    Trying to identify a 54 frame and was wondering when Harley started stamping the motor mount with a date code? I'm sure this first question is going to lead to other identifier questions, but I wanted to start with this question first.

Thanks
    John
    Keep in mind that many 54 models have frames date coded as 53 so any date code of G or H 3 (or 3 G or H, they seemed to do them both ways) are most likely early '54 production. How high is your VIN? There are three distinct frames in '54, early, mid, and late.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

They had both a straight leg and a wish bone frame didn't they? I have and old 54 wishbone chopper frame and was told I was suppose to have a straight leg frame??? Does anyone have the serial numbers where the frame changes were made?

John, on a Harley Panhead rigid frame the earliest date code Iíve seen is 3B (1953 February). Itís possible there were date codes on some Panhead frames made in Jan 53 but at this stage I do not expect to see date codes on any Pan frames made earlier than that.

Recently Bruce Palmer brought out his latest restoration book but I do not have a copy so I donít know if he updated it with new info about Pan frames.
    Eric

Thanks all for the info.

Any other numbers that might identify the year?

Thanks all for the info.

Any other numbers that might identify the year?
    http://howtorestoreyourharleydavidson.com/

What is the date code?

What are the forging numbers and die numbers on the:
    steering head (check both sides)
    sidecar loops (check inside and outside)
    front engine mount (at the back)
    rear engine mount (at the back)
    axle clips (outside)
    seat post forging (underneath). Also look on top for other markings.

Photos of everything you find would help and photos of both sides of the entire frame would also be a good idea.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
    What is the date code?

What are the forging numbers and die numbers on the:
    steering head (check both sides)
    sidecar loops (check inside and outside)
    front engine mount (at the back)
    rear engine mount (at the back)
    axle clips (outside)
    seat post forging (underneath). Also look on top for other markings.

Photos of everything you find would help and photos of both sides of the entire frame would also be a good idea.
    Eric
    Unfortunately I can't send pictures of the frame now because it's fully assembly, however, I believe it is the correct mount and the frame shows no signs of repairs or changes. I did find some casting numbers on the lower rear axle section and appears to have a hallmark on the neck and maybe on the right rear section of the axle area. Front down tubes are round and no horn mount and loops are there. I have been told by a guy in Springfield Mo. that it might be a 53'

The motor mount has I 0

Left rear axle section - XE7 11

Right rear axle section - X7 6 9 I think

I believe it is the correct mount and the frame shows no signs of repairs or changes.

The motor mount has I 0

Left rear axle section - XE7 11

Right rear axle section - X7 6 9 I think

The correct mount? What did you think I 0 indicated?

If the top mount has I 0 then it indicates either Sept 1960 or Sept 1970 if itís on the R-H side, depending on the style of mount. If I 0 was on the left side it would indicate Sept 1980. But all three of those mounts would be on swingarm frames originally.

Below is code I 0 on a swingarm frame made in Sept 1960. Notice the overall shape of the mount as well as the type of opening for the bolt. Does your mount, including the opening, look like this?

Why did that guy in Springfield tell you the frame might be 53? If it was 53 then originally the front downtubes would have had horn mounts but you have none? What did he say about I 0 on the top mount?

On the R-H axle clip the forging number may be XE-6 and it was used for a long time. According to Palmerís SE die number 9 could indicate 1950Ė52 (and 1953?) and 1954.

On the left axle clip, forging number XE-7 sounds good but it too was used for some time. Palmer has no entry for die number 11. Are you sure it is 11? For 1954 weíd be looking for die 15. Could yours be 15?
    Eric