Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankcase and belly number question

Default Crankcase and belly number question

I recently picked up a 56 FLH with unaltered vin number and a corresponding belly number on the left case. The right case has a 56 belly number also (156-5xxx) but itís a couple hundred off. My question is- on the top of the cases behind the rear cylinder the left case is stamped with a H and the right case isnít stamped. I thought generally both cases had a 7 in this spot for 74Ē ohv motors. Can anyone tell me if the H is correct and what the right case should have if they were matched cases. Thanks.

Otis I think your engine has had a case replaced. Originally both cases would have had the same number stamped on the bottom and your right case would have had a 'H' for FLH as well. In earlier years a 7 distinguished between 61 and 74 inch motors. I do not know when they changed to a H.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by otis71 View Post
    I recently picked up a 56 FLH with unaltered vin number and a corresponding belly number on the left case. The right case has a 56 belly number also (156-5xxx) but itís a couple hundred off. My question is- on the top of the cases behind the rear cylinder the left case is stamped with a H and the right case isnít stamped. I thought generally both cases had a 7 in this spot for 74Ē ohv motors. Can anyone tell me if the H is correct and what the right case should have if they were matched cases. Thanks.

Belly numbers are line bore match numbers the left crankcase number is the vin.# generally the vin # is a few hundred ahead of the line bore

I understand the belly numbers and the cases definitely aren’t factory matched. My question is why does the left have the H instead of a 7 like most FLs I’ve seen and the right nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by otis71 View Post
    I understand the belly numbers and the cases definitely aren’t factory matched. My question is why does the left have the H instead of a 7 like most FLs I’ve seen and the right nothing.
    You stated you picked up an "FLH". An "H" on both case halves would be correct for an FLH. The "7" was not used on FLHs, only on FLs.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for. I got to thinking maybe the H was for FLH once I thought about it.

Otis, the FLH debuted about mid-55 but I am yet to see a 55FLH with Hs on top of the cases. The ones Iíve seen thus far have 7s on top (as per the 55FL and probably the 55FLE).

The earliest Iíve seen Hs on top of cases are 1956 models and the lowest is 56FLH17++.

The latest Iíve seen Hs on top of cases are 1976 model Shovels.
    Eric

Eric,
    Read my question again. My FLH is 56-5xxx so you just confirmed my question. Thanks

In your first post I read that your right case has 156-5xxx but itís a couple hundred off. And I imagine that means a couple hundred off your left BN? In your first post you didnít say what your SN was apart from it being 56FLH. You didnít know why H was on top of your left case so I mentioned my earliest example etc.
    Eric

Really, hide your belly numbers???? 156-5xxx
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!