Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Meat

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    That was not a mess; that was beauty. That's the way you want to find them in the world of antique motorcycles.
    This is what this ol' girl looked like when she came in;
    20200115_112950_HDR1.jpg
    20200115_112820_HDR1.jpg

This is her know;
    20200224_102213_HDR1.jpg
    20200224_102230_HDR1.jpg

I'm trying to knock as little of the rust off as possible,gotta leave a little stank on her.
    Last edited by scooterwrench; 03-31-2020 at 02:18 PM.

looks like a fairly complete, nice solid project.
    pretty sure the seat is a 21-23 type. my 19J has the exposed springs while yours has the later enclosed type.

"The centrifugal switch on the back of the 235 generator that disconnects it from the battery when the engine stops. The plate that holds the weights is mounted to the back end of the armature shaft with a countersunk screw. That screw is 1/4"-32 RH thread. A monkey with tools had cross threaded that screw sometime in the past and booggered it up so it wouldn't tighten the plate and the whole assembly was flopping around in there."
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm up to speed now.
    Good luck with the project, a great piece to start with.

The story I got from the man that owns it is he traded a station wagon for it 50yrs ago and has kept it in his garage since and never heard it run.
    That was my task but after firing it up I discovered the front cyl. was cracked just below the head area. Sprayed oil on the downtube.
    Pulled the motor and front cyl. to find the rod could be shaken up and down about .010" Pulled the bottom apart and pretty much everything is worn out. I think I can reuse the right side bushing with a new pinion shaft and the left race with a new sprocket shaft and .003 over rollers. Competition Dist. is gonna love me!

Well the Tecumseh piston idea was a bust. The wrist pin could be made to fit but the compression height is almost 5/8" too low,reckon I'll be making pistons too. Anybody got an 8" piece of 3.5 2618 aluminum round stock laying around?

Speak to Jon Neuman at Sagebrush Cycle in Texas about pistons.

John

You could also speak to JD Jugs in Oz, they are very helpful. I am not sure what pistons they use but would be willing to guess at JP.

John

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    Speak to Jon Neuman at Sagebrush Cycle in Texas about pistons.

John
    Nope! He ain't got 'em in .020 over. Competition only has .010 and .060

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    You could also speak to JD Jugs in Oz, they are very helpful. I am not sure what pistons they use but would be willing to guess at JP.

John
    Is that the guy that is doing the repop 8 valve tops? JP?

Yeah,knuck pistons can be used if you bush the pin holes down to .625" I'm guessing the same for 61" pan.

And the search goes on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!