Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scooterwrench
    replied
    Well folks got the bottom end built,had to make rod races from 1.5" ID tapered roller bearing races. Finally got a set of Venolia +.030 slugs and am having to sleeve the front cyl. Has anybody ever seen A cylinders? According to my literature A engines had their cylinders stamped with an A on the flange. I was going to stamp A and was wondering where they placed it on the flange.

Leave a comment:

• TechNoir
    replied
    When I tore my motor apart I measured (what could be described as) the deck height on these blind cylinders but I cant find the measurement anywhere unfortunately.

My pistons have a pin diameter of ~ 0.606" and the distance from the top of the pin to the piston crown is ~1.535". If you have cylinders and pistons could you not measure the deck height and also compare your piston pin to crown height with mine.

Looking back at some notes I made a while ago I noted that Jon Neuman used Venolia pistons and also found reference to some people using Mahle pistons. I also found reference to an Aussie using a piston for a 1960's Bedford truck.

John.

Leave a comment:

• TechNoir
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterwrench View Post
    It's looking more and more like I'll be using E or EL slugs and bushing the pin hole down to .625" Now I've got to get the deck height measurement. Anybody want to step up?
    I have a pair of original looking cast iron pistons for my '20F. I am busy right now but I can dig them out later today and make some measurements.

John

Leave a comment:

• scooterwrench
    replied
    Originally posted by TechNoir View Post
    I am not certain that Stuart is doing 8 valve jugs although he might be. He certainly does 61" and 74" jugs and offers the option of a full package of jugs, pistons and valves. Obviously he only offers standard bore pistons but he may well be able to point you in the direction of where he gets his from and they might be able to help with oversize.

You could download the various piston catalogues and search by the spec you need. It would be a long tedious job but there must be a load of pistons out there with the right specs.

John
    Been there,done that,got the t-shirt.

Wiseco,Mahle,TRW,JE,etc,etc. I've contacted Egges machine,they told me they haven't made them in quite a while.
    Seems nobody is currently reproducing these and the warehouse stock has dried up.
    There are plenty of 3.12" pistons out there but not with the correct pin dia. and deck height.

It's looking more and more like I'll be using E or EL slugs and bushing the pin hole down to .625" Now I've got to get the deck height measurement. Anybody want to step up?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Swan
    replied
    Isn't VL 3.44" bore?
    sorry about that, my bad. i was thinking 74" you have a 61" good luck in your search.

Leave a comment:

• scooterwrench
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Swan View Post
    i mentioned VL and pan, not knucklehead
    Isn't VL 3.44" bore?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Swan
    replied
    an Eastern dealer should be able supply VL or pan pistons or at least they have in the past. http://www.easternmotorcycleparts.com/

Leave a comment:

• TechNoir
    replied
    Is that the guy that is doing the repop 8 valve tops? JP?
    I am not certain that Stuart is doing 8 valve jugs although he might be. He certainly does 61" and 74" jugs and offers the option of a full package of jugs, pistons and valves. Obviously he only offers standard bore pistons but he may well be able to point you in the direction of where he gets his from and they might be able to help with oversize.

You could download the various piston catalogues and search by the spec you need. It would be a long tedious job but there must be a load of pistons out there with the right specs.

John

Leave a comment:

• Steve Swan
    replied
    Yeah,knuck pistons can be used if you bush the pin holes down to .625" I'm guessing the same for 61" pan.

And the search goes on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!
    i mentioned VL and pan, not knucklehead

Leave a comment:

• scooterwrench
    replied
    Yeah,knuck pistons can be used if you bush the pin holes down to .625" I'm guessing the same for 61" pan.

And the search goes on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Swan
    replied
    i don't know any of the details, but i know VL and panhead pistons are used. George Hood uses panhead pistons.

Leave a comment:

• scooterwrench
    replied
    You could also speak to JD Jugs in Oz, they are very helpful. I am not sure what pistons they use but would be willing to guess at JP.

John
    Is that the guy that is doing the repop 8 valve tops? JP?

Leave a comment:

• scooterwrench
    replied
    Speak to Jon Neuman at Sagebrush Cycle in Texas about pistons.

John
    Nope! He ain't got 'em in .020 over. Competition only has .010 and .060

Leave a comment:

• TechNoir
    replied
    You could also speak to JD Jugs in Oz, they are very helpful. I am not sure what pistons they use but would be willing to guess at JP.

John

Leave a comment:

• TechNoir
    replied
    Speak to Jon Neuman at Sagebrush Cycle in Texas about pistons.

John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X