Thread: Indian Motorcycle Parts Foundry Forge Stamping Marks 1949-1951 Verticals

Default Indian Motorcycle Parts Foundry Forge Stamping Marks 1949-1951 Verticals

I would like to know if any of you have information on Indian motorcycle foundry forge stamps that were used by companies under contract for the verticals. Jim Preussner told me that an original marking was an M enclosed in a C. This may have been an original first contracted company to make the accessory center stands for the 149, 249, Warrior and others.
    I have also seen an SDF overlapping stamp lettering on vertical side prop stands and other parts such as the shift lever, brake pedal and other engine parts.

Does anyone know what the letters mean?
    Is there a source of company information that preserved records of companies under contract?

Thanks.
    -JR
    AMCA 36450

I have periodically searched since this last post with no luck. I still think the SDF is an acronym for the foundry which made parts such as the connecting rods, shift levers and cams.
    I have attached a photo of a recent find from a set of cases BDI 2088, a 1949 Indian Scout. What you see is the top of the connecting rod arm.

-JR 36540
    SDF Foundry Stamp on Connecting Rod top end 249.jpg
    Here is a photo of the connecting rod bearings PN 1,190002 in the ORM p.7. Note the stamping here says, FM 1 6 1465 CA.
    Connecting Rod Bearing Stamp FM.jpg
    There is also evident on the inner connecting rod surface beneath the bearing, in reverse due to pressure, something that resembles 84650 OA.

Default A couple more images of stamps

QUOTE=JTR249;191434]I have periodically searched since this last post with no luck. I still think the SDF is an acronym for the foundry which made parts such as the connecting rods, shift levers and cams.
    I have attached a photo of a recent find from a set of cases BDI 2088, a 1949 Indian Scout. What you see is the top of the connecting rod arm.

-JR 36540
    Here is a photo of the connecting rod bearings PN 1,190002 in the ORM p.7. Note the stamping here says, FM 1 6 1465 CA.
    There is also evident on the inner connecting rod surface beneath the bearing, in reverse due to pressure, something that resembles 84650 OA.[/QUOTE]

Here is a photo of the accessory center stands used on Indian Verticals. The stamp says CM.

Vertical Accessory Center Stand Trademark CM.jpg

Here is a photo of an Arrow crankcase on the inside.
    ADI 1171 Arrow Crancases from SWVC note the stamp of the H and a wing inside the case.jpg

A steel company is currently helping to resolve this knowledge. I will post the results of the search as soon as I learn of what they are able to find.

-JR 36450

Default Indian Vertical Numbered Frame Sections

Quote Originally Posted by JTR249 View Post
    QUOTE=JTR249;191434]I have periodically searched since this last post with no luck. I still think the SDF is an acronym for the foundry which made parts such as the connecting rods, shift levers and cams.

-JR 36540
    There is also evident on the inner connecting rod surface beneath the bearing, in reverse due to pressure, something that resembles 84650 OA.
    Here is a photo of the accessory center stands used on Indian Verticals. The stamp says CM.

Vertical Accessory Center Stand Trademark CM.jpg

Here is a photo of an Arrow crankcase on the inside.
    ADI 1171 Arrow Crancases from SWVC note the stamp of the H and a wing inside the case.jpg

A steel company is currently helping to resolve this knowledge. I will post the results of the search as soon as I learn of what they are able to find.

-JR 36450[/QUOTE]

One question has been recently answered after locating James Sutter's posted Indian Factory Drawings through wrodpress.com. During a search yesterday I was able to locate a draftsman schematic for the vertical rear frame sections. If you look in the photo attached after this message, the frame section has a number stamped into the frame of 1417003. In the schematic, there is also the same number pointing to where this number is found in the frame section. The caption for the photo says "Front and Rear Frame Sections 253 Warrior (Experimental)."

Perhaps these sections were early developments before there was an attempt to beef up the alleged 8 Road Warrior prototypes?

Here are the photos.
    1417003 Rear Frame Section Indian Vertical 1949 to 1951.jpg
    Here is my actual frame section number.
    1417003 number stamping found on rear frame section 249 sprung.jpg

Last edited by JTR249; 11-08-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Go John! Fascinating to see this history
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

I have periodically searched since this last post with no luck. I still think the SDF is an acronym for the foundry which made parts such as the connecting rods, shift levers and cams.
    SDF is likely Springfield D Foundry, the Springfield library probably has phone books and city directories from the 1940's.
    Springfield library - https://www.springfieldlibrary.org/library/

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement. I had thought the same thing about SDF, though still have not been able to verify the information.
    Here is a rough historical chart that I have been able to put together based on talking to people and doing a little online research.
    Location Part Company

York, PA Fenders York Corrugating Company
    Cincinnati, OH Moto Lamps Electric Auto-Lite
    Springfield, MA Magneto (AJ-1 and AJ-2) Edison-Wico Electric Company
    Birmingham, United Kingdom Carburetors Amal
    Dunkirk, IL Moto Lamp Lenses Indiana Glass Company
    Torrington, CT Bearings Torrington Manufacturing
    Plainfield, CT Engine Torque Engineering
    Redditch, England Valve Springs Herbert Terry & Sons Ltd.
    Cincinnati, OH Tail Light (Beehive) Lenses American Automatic Devices (King Bee)
    Horn Sparton or Electric Auto-Lite
    Generator Delco-Remy
    Springfield, MA Pistons, BrakePedals, Shift Lever, Cam Levers, Prop Stands, Kicker Pedals, Springfield Foundry (unconfirmed)
    Center Stands, Kick Start Lever, Fork Tubes CM (unknown)
    mufflers, headers Nelson Muffler Corporation
    Tires Dunlop
    Wheel Parts Mason
    Fender Brackets
    Springs and Spring Covers
    Wiring Harness
    Rear and Primary Drive chain
    Gas Tank
    Frame Sections
    Handlebars
    Rims
    Oil Tank
    Again, if any of you can help fill in the info, cut and paste it to a Word document and send it as attached in a PM to me so that I can update my records. If I have left out any parts, let me know.
    Thanks again.
    -JR