New Harley VL Years book series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Harley VL Years book series

In a triumph of desktop publishing economics over common sense, I've just written a four volume 1400+ page series on 'The Harley-Davidson VL Years'. This covers the 1930-36 model years, with 1937 and 1938 included for good measure. That's 113 copies of the Enthusiast magazine, all the sales brochures I can find, the dealer announcements, a list of the surviving 1200+ VL engine numbers, technical changes by year, and colour pictures of restored and unrestored bikes. Check out www.vlheaven.com for details, and the first 50 copies will get half price postage!

Volume 1, for 1930/31 models, arrived today and I should have a draft of Volume 2, for 1932/33 models, tomorrow. For those making Christmas lists, we are making every effort to get all four volumes out in time for the holiday season. Enjoy!

Steve, thank you for your tireless efforts to document this model.
    i'm hoping someone soon follows your lead with the IOE/J/F models.
    Email sent to order a set.
    Last edited by knucklehead 61; 10-29-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your interest. Mark Masa has said for the last 15 years that he is producing a JD book along the lines of my VL book, so perhaps he can step up here and report progress. With about five times more pocket valve twins than VLs, and the usual Harley running technical changes, the world needs this information. On Enthusiasts, other threads show we have a few members with complete collections from say 1915-30. Now that I am seeing my 113 original copies of the 1929-38 Enthusiasts in print, I realise there is a wealth of technical information in there, as well as race reports, Police use, sidecars and Servicars, bikes in service, accessories, girlfriends on bikes and so on. With several thousand photos, and articles from many countries, there must be some chance of seeing your old bike or a relative in the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
        Steve, thank you for your tireless efforts to document this model.
        +1 to that. My copy of the 1930/31 volume arrived today. Excellent stuff Steve, very well done.

Comment

Hi. I have the old version and i would like to buy the new one. Would you ship to São Paulo/Brasil? I tried in your website but without sucess
          Thanks
          Rodrigo

Comment

Dear Rodrigo, no problem in shipping to Brasil, thank you. You must be referring to the VL Restoration Book, now in the 2018 sixth edition with even more detail. Just Email the address below and I shall sort it out for you.

Comment

Here's a picture of the 312 page Volume 1. The format is landscape A4 size with two Enthusiast pages per page, so you can read 4 pages right across with the book open on the table. It's not my usual format but it really works.

We are running a half price postage offer on the first fifty copies, so get in there now!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                In a triumph of desktop publishing economics over common sense, I've just written a four volume 1400+ page series on 'The Harley-Davidson VL Years'. This covers the 1930-36 model years, with 1937 and 1938 included for good measure. That's 113 copies of the Enthusiast magazine, all the sales brochures I can find, the dealer announcements, a list of the surviving 1200+ VL engine numbers, technical changes by year, and colour pictures of restored and unrestored bikes. Check out www.vlheaven.com for details, and the first 50 copies will get half price postage!

Volume 1, for 1930/31 models, arrived today and I should have a draft of Volume 2, for 1932/33 models, tomorrow. For those making Christmas lists, we are making every effort to get all four volumes out in time for the holiday season. Enjoy!
                Hello Steve, do You have a price for purchasing all four volumes? USA shipment. Thank You.
                *M.A.D.*

Comment

Thanks for your interest. Volumes 1 and 2 run about 310 pages and weigh 2 pounds each. Volumes 3 and 4 will be 400+ pages because of the extra Enthusiasts, so all four volumes will total about 12 pounds. Half price bulk airmail plus the estimated cover price comes to $325 for the set. That's not cheap, but think of it as $4000 worth of original Enthusiasts at a 90% discount, plus a lot of other interesting stuff.

Comment

Thanks for your interest. Volumes 1 and 2 run about 310 pages and weigh 2 pounds each. Volumes 3 and 4 will be 400+ pages because of the extra Enthusiasts, so all four volumes will total about 12 pounds. Half price bulk airmail plus the estimated cover price comes to $325 for the set. That's not cheap, but think of it as $4000 worth of original Enthusiasts at a 90% discount, plus a lot of other interesting stuff.
                    will the half price postage offer be included on the whole set?
                    i want them all.

Comment

I am hoping for some interesting new info. As for the "Enthusiast" aspect, I've had all those for many years, and read them all.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yes the half price postage offer will apply to buyers of the whole set, and thanks to those who have ordered them so far. But I'll need to send them out all together in December when Volume 4 is done, to contain airmail costs. For those who can't wait, the half price postage offer is still running, but four airmail packages will cost a bit more to send than one bulk parcel.
                        Last edited by Steve Slocombe; 11-07-2018, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks Robbie and the 113 consecutive Enthusiasts give a great picture of motorcycle riding in the Depression, plus early knuckleheads ('61 overheads') in service in 1936-38. The fresh material is all the color sales brochures I can find, the dealer announcements of new features for each model year, a commentary and summary of technical changes by year, a list of the 1200 known surviving VL engine numbers, and color pictures of restored (AMCA judged) and original paint VLs.

Comment

Yes the half price postage offer will apply to buyers of the whole set, and thanks to those who have ordered them so far. But I'll need to send them out all together in December when Volume 4 is done, to contain airmail costs. For those who can't wait, the half price postage offer is still running, but four airmail packages will cost a bit more to send than one bulk parcel.
                            Thanks Steve.
                            *M.A.D.*

Comment

Steve, you are the man ! Your tireless devotion to the noble V series Harley-Davidson has benefitted so many people, and secured the history of one of H-Ds previously overlooked series. I've known your work ethic for a many of years, and I also know many people who deeply appreciate what you have done to de-mystify the great V series of Harley-Davidsons.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X