Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: carb finish

Double-post deleted...

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-25-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: doublepost
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Nice cad, Yellow52Chief!

Almost too nice to believe it hasn't darkened at all.

Note how the "C" pic shows a brandX M74B HS needle, different than the "A" and "B" pics.
    Note how it has the one-sided float pivot screw, and bare of cad. So is the idle bleed plug.
    Note the round or pan-headed screws for the throttledisc, whereas the choke disc has the typical filister screws.
    Note the difference in the hex and threads on the floatvalve, and floatvalve gasket, in the two pics.
    Note the aircleaner flange has tarnished, but the manifold flange looks like it was cut this morning.

The LS needle knob looks great in the "B" pic, but smells like zinc in the "C" pic, to me to me anyway. Must be the light, huh.

Curious.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-25-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    AMCA #776

Hi,
    Those are some excellent observations T. Cotten. I don't have any additional information to go along with the photos. I think the carburetor was an eBay item several years ago; I never saw it in person. It does appear that some of the parts have been switched for some reason. The box might have originally contained two carburetors, and maybe the photos got mixed-up somehow. I used to think the photo set showed a pristine unit, but maybe it isn't quite as pristine as I thought. Oh well. I still wouldn't mind having it on a shelf as a spare.

It would run pretty rich, Yellow53Chief,...

...with the wrong angle on the HS needle!

Note also in "C" they swapped in an H-D throttle bellcrank.
    (I might find more curiosities, but my monitor fogs up when I get too close to smell finishes. Everything in "C" is brighter and blue-er than the first two pics. One extra light bulb, (fluorescent vs. incandescent, etc.), however, can change things. Photos should never be trusted explicitly.)

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-25-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    AMCA #776

Hi All,
    I have a follow-on question to this thread. What paint is best to use on these carbs? Since they are black and appear to be a low luster/dull finish is there a certain paint that is best to use that will at least resist the effects of fuels? I am working with an MBONN on a 47 Bonneville Chief.

Jgbrown59!

The original, as best I can guess from what original literature I am privy to, was lacquer. I suspect it was supposed to be "gloss", but lacquer tends to "blush", and the rough castings could never be buffed. Engine heat probably didn't help either.
    Potmetal Scheblers kept their gloss much better, but the die-castings were much smoother.

I now air-brush a butyrate enamel (forgot whom to thank), which blushes badly without a retarder (especially this time of year!)
    But it has withstood P4gas, so far...

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-25-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    AMCA #776

attached pictures of my "Langsenkamp-Linkert" M6 in 'flash' nickel and the "L&L Manufacturing" M6 painted black.

I believe that the list Cotten posted earlier refers to the "L&L Manufacturing" Becks carburetors made for Indians and the "Langsenkamp-Linkert" M6 was made earlier for earlier Chiefs (also before 1939).

I do not know if the brass float chanbers are correct on these, but I like to use them (will use one "Langsenkamp-Linkert" M6 on my 1936 Chief)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gsottl; 01-28-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Gsottl!

The most interesting aspect of the nickeled carb is that it appears not to have ever been ground away and re-stamped, as later productions show.

A primary concern about the common listing of M6 for " '39-'42 Chiefs " is that '41-'42 models had the four-screw intakes.

Tragically, AMCA judging standards still make them all a fault for any model.

....Cotten
    PS: Attached is yet another example of a two-screw nickeled M6, with no "INDIAN" stamping. Note the casting sprue on the top, suggesting that it is quite early for an L&L, and perhaps earlier than the recognizeable BECK productions. (Sorry I have forgotten the source of the pic...)
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-28-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    AMCA #776

My original condition M6BA on my 1940 Indian Chief is also a black finish. Amougst all of the other patina as well.

M6BA Carb 2.JPG

M6BA Carb 5.JPG

Someozybloke!

Note how yours has the narrow sans-serif "M", common to most regular Indian models (except most '41 productions, other than M741), rather than the wide serifed M found on most Beck models.
    Most H-D productions had a wide sans-serif "M". One possible exception is the "replacement" model M55, with serifs.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776