Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear chain sprocket loose, need rivets and help

Attachment 10098Attachment 10099Attachment 10100Attachment 10101
    Pictures aren't the best but hopefully you'll see what I use. This I made and is a knock off from what is in the HD manual. I have interchangable center bosses for different brake drums, and the end support is adjustable for the different diameter drums. I elaborated by adding the clamp, I feel this works alot better by sandwiching everything together for a even and true fit, then just the sprocket 'bouncing' around as you get started. I pressed a case hardened dowel into the support and then used a carbide ball end mill for the head radius, I did the same for my punches, just a long 3/8 dia. case hardened dowel with a radius created with a ball end mill. There is a step on the bottom of the fixture that mounts in a bench vise, that way as you beat down the units supports itself on the vise top. Bob AMCA#6738

Bob, that is one sharp set up. I was just thinking that another piece on top of that with a hole as a fixed guide would be the thing for the average shop press. Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    Bob, that is one sharp set up. Bob L
    It sure is. You do some awesome stuff BigLakeBob!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Every time I hand-set rear sprocket rivets they worked loose, even using the "official Harley Tool."
    Took some thousands of miles, but always worked loose.

Last times I replaced r. sprocket & dust ring, the very last time because chain and sprocket were plumb worn out, I put the air impact hammer to it. Never came loose again.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Luland View Post
    Bob, that is one sharp set up. I was just thinking that another piece on top of that with a hole as a fixed guide would be the thing for the average shop press. Bob L
    Thanks, Bob, Working alone you need to create a third hand sometimes. I never thought about using a press instead of the hammer trick, so a concave punch in a press would work? I wasn't sure if a slow press would work the same as a quick hit like a machine would do. I just used a friend's saddlebag latch rivet tool, man did it work smooth!

Quote Originally Posted by c.o. View Post
    It sure is. You do some awesome stuff BigLakeBob!!!
    Thanks, Cory, I've gotta stop making so many tools and get some motorcycle work done!

I am really impressed with the ingenuity and skill you guys have. I wish I had the ability and knowledge to make that type of jig, but I don't. So the best thing I can do is use a big hammer or an arbor press or a hydraulic bench press. What will give me the best results? Or, as some have suggested to me, use grade 8 bolts and nuts to put it together. What do you think???

-Carl

The G 8 bolts won't hold up. And like it was mentioned the hand riveting is an art, but not impossible to do. You do need a good sturdy vice and the two tools to contact the rivet and the right weight hammer. Someone to hold the drum still and level would be really nice. First make sure you have the correct rivets. Practice by drilling 2 correct diameter holes in 2 different shaped pieces of plate, rivet the 2 in place and rap the plates with a hammer (as if you were trying to shear the rivets). After several hits if the rivets are loose it was'nt right. They should shear off before getting loose.
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Here's something you might want to have a look at.

http://www.caimag.com/wordpress/2011...ead-of-rivets/

You might consider why the rivets failed on the sprocket. It appears that my rear brake drum sprocket rivets failed on my '56 Harley KHK because the bearings went bad and the wheel did not run true. This caused stress on the sprocket and rivets. At least, that is why we think the rivets failed.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com

1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

49 tooth 028.jpg49 tooth 029.jpg49 tooth 030.jpg

Just wanted to point out that grade 8 Allen screws do hold up. I ran this one for well over 100,000 miles on my 69 Rigid Shovel and it never came loose.