Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Pics of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by ihrescue View Post
    Vintage Pic of the Day - September 17, 2020

Attachment 29561

When Royal Air Force Captain Charles "CK" Shepherd mustered out of the service at the end of WW1 he had that need to get going and do something. His choice of activity was to buy a 1919 Henderson MC, begin in New York City and drive across the USA to Los Angelos. Its a pretty amazing story of a road trip where in some cases there were no roads.

Mike Love
    I read that book and it was really good! The book is called "Across America by Motorcycle".
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Yes it is a great book Jim. I like any books about a road trip on motorcycle. Yankee Chapter AMCA member Mark Hunnibal republished the book a couple of years ago on Amazon and was duplicating the trek on a rebuilt 1919 Henderson he had gotten from his father. Here is a link to Mark's story. Mark found it mechanically challenging on a 100 year motorcycle but he is a persistent guy so I think he will get it done. https://acrossamericabymotorcycle.com/

Another road trip I enjoyed was One Man Caravan by an amazing guy Robert Edison Fulton Jr who rode around the world. Great story.

Mike Love

Vintage Pics of the Day - September 18, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.09.51 AM copy.jpg

A little meander into the Minneapolis MC racer. The Michaelson Brothers took the money and ran in 1914 and though a promising motorcycle design there appeared to be no more Minneapolis MCs after it was sold.

Mike Love

The Old Man and the Harley is another great cross country story, ISBN 9781595551801 by John Newkirk. His dad John aged 19 wanted to visit both the NY World Fair in 1939 and the San Francisco Golden Gate Exposition. He bought a used 1930 VL for $50, learnt to drive it in the street, then set off. With no preparation, he had punctures and parts fell off. He slept by the side of the road or with relatives, ate for 25 cents a time, and wrote a postcard to his mother most days which of course she kept. Later he sold the bike for a profit then joined the military in WW2. I had the pleasure of meeting both of them at Davenport in 2009, where young John was re-enacting some of his Dad's ride on a 32VL bought from Trev Deeley in Canada. Great times!

Vintage Pic of the Day - September 19, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 9.06.18 AM copy.jpg

This Dayton motorcycle is from the collection by John Bosko a self professed "photo archeologist." I understood that Dayton used the Thor Motorcycle engine, can anyone confirm? It appears there was a Dayton Motorcycle in England as well as the USA.

Here is a little blurb on Dayton Motorwheel in the pre 1920s.

Dayton’s Davis Sewing Machine Company had been a leading manufacturer in bicycles for more than two decades when they introduced and patented the Dayton Motorwheel in 1915. This motorbike combined a light-weight frame with both foot pedals and a small engine, manufactured by the American Magneto Company. The cycle could be ridden either as a regular bicycle or as a motorcycle.
    More about Dayton Ohio's bicycle and motorcycle industry where Huffy was home.

https://www.daytonhistory.org/artifa...y-may-29-2015/

Mike Love

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
    The Old Man and the Harley is another great cross country story, ISBN 9781595551801 by John Newkirk.
    Great story - I will look that up. [EDIT - I found it on Amazon and its available as Kindle, hardback and paperback here https://www.amazon.com/Old-Man-Harle.../dp/1595551808]

Mike Love
    Last edited by ihrescue; 09-19-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ihrescue View Post
    Vintage Pic of the Day - September 19, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 9.06.18 AM copy.jpg

This Dayton motorcycle is from the collection by John Bosko a self professed "photo archeologist." I understood that Dayton used the Thor Motorcycle engine, can anyone confirm? It appears there was a Dayton Motorcycle in England as well as the USA.

Here is a little blurb on Dayton Motorwheel in the pre 1920s.

More about Dayton Ohio's bicycle and motorcycle industry where Huffy was home.

https://www.daytonhistory.org/artifa...y-may-29-2015/

Mike Love
    Definitely no expert on this but I thought Dayton, Sears and Eagle were Spacke engines?

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by painterdale View Post
    Definitely no expert on this but I thought Dayton, Sears and Eagle were Spacke engines?

Dale
    There you go, I am not even sure where I saw that Dale but it points to the supply of engines from a couple of manufacturers to a larger group of complete cycle manufacturers. I do see now that Thor made some engines for Sears. Thanks for the comment.

Mike Love

Vintage Pic of the Day - September 20, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 7.47.49 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love