X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Pics of the Day - September 18, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 7.09.51 AM copy.jpg

A little meander into the Minneapolis MC racer. The Michaelson Brothers took the money and ran in 1914 and though a promising motorcycle design there appeared to be no more Minneapolis MCs after it was sold.

Mike Love

Comment

• The Old Man and the Harley is another great cross country story, ISBN 9781595551801 by John Newkirk. His dad John aged 19 wanted to visit both the NY World Fair in 1939 and the San Francisco Golden Gate Exposition. He bought a used 1930 VL for $50, learnt to drive it in the street, then set off. With no preparation, he had punctures and parts fell off. He slept by the side of the road or with relatives, ate for 25 cents a time, and wrote a postcard to his mother most days which of course she kept. Later he sold the bike for a profit then joined the military in WW2. I had the pleasure of meeting both of them at Davenport in 2009, where young John was re-enacting some of his Dad's ride on a 32VL bought from Trev Deeley in Canada. Great times!

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - September 19, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 9.06.18 AM copy.jpg

This Dayton motorcycle is from the collection by John Bosko a self professed "photo archeologist." I understood that Dayton used the Thor Motorcycle engine, can anyone confirm? It appears there was a Dayton Motorcycle in England as well as the USA.

Here is a little blurb on Dayton Motorwheel in the pre 1920s.

Dayton’s Davis Sewing Machine Company had been a leading manufacturer in bicycles for more than two decades when they introduced and patented the Dayton Motorwheel in 1915. This motorbike combined a light-weight frame with both foot pedals and a small engine, manufactured by the American Magneto Company. The cycle could be ridden either as a regular bicycle or as a motorcycle.
        More about Dayton Ohio's bicycle and motorcycle industry where Huffy was home.

https://www.daytonhistory.org/artifa...y-may-29-2015/

Mike Love

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
          The Old Man and the Harley is another great cross country story, ISBN 9781595551801 by John Newkirk.
          Great story - I will look that up. [EDIT - I found it on Amazon and its available as Kindle, hardback and paperback here https://www.amazon.com/Old-Man-Harle.../dp/1595551808]

Mike Love
          Last edited by ihrescue; 09-19-2020, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
            Vintage Pic of the Day - September 19, 2020

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29573[/ATTACH]

This Dayton motorcycle is from the collection by John Bosko a self professed "photo archeologist." I understood that Dayton used the Thor Motorcycle engine, can anyone confirm? It appears there was a Dayton Motorcycle in England as well as the USA.

Here is a little blurb on Dayton Motorwheel in the pre 1920s.

More about Dayton Ohio's bicycle and motorcycle industry where Huffy was home.

https://www.daytonhistory.org/artifa...y-may-29-2015/

Mike Love
            Definitely no expert on this but I thought Dayton, Sears and Eagle were Spacke engines?

Dale

Comment

• Originally posted by painterdale View Post
              Definitely no expert on this but I thought Dayton, Sears and Eagle were Spacke engines?

Dale
              There you go, I am not even sure where I saw that Dale but it points to the supply of engines from a couple of manufacturers to a larger group of complete cycle manufacturers. I do see now that Thor made some engines for Sears. Thanks for the comment.

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - September 20, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 7.47.49 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• A couple more:

tumblr_nnjhjgEScy1sh016ho1_1280_zpspfwp3f6z.jpg

tumblr_o2ayc5fLMA1sh016ho1_1280_zpsr3chdmex.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by droptopford View Post
                    A couple more:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29577[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29576[/ATTACH]
                    A great couple of big twin Harleys and How about that Chrysler New Yorker in the background with a motorcycle in its trunk?

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - September 21, 2020

Wow - last full day of Summer 2020 deserves a pretty face and a uniquely styled Triumph

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 9.20.24 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

Vintage Pic of the Day - September 21, 2020

Wow - last full day of Summer 2020 deserves a pretty face and a uniquely styled Triumph

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29586[/ATTACH]

Mike Love
                        Nice picture. Is that a different format used to capture or post that one? Unlike some of your other 'screenshots' it does not show up for me until I click it.

Edit: <<< Never mind. It shows up now. Another IT glitch I guess. >>>
                        Last edited by droptopford; 09-21-2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Yes its all related to the fact that our forum software is a bunch of steps behind the web browsers which get updated and debugged all the time. Our forum software is no longer supported so its been a long while since it had any code upgrade. I know Jon is working on getting the new software installed so let's hope it gets better sooner rather than later.

In regard to my posted images I had to find out how to make them larger and that has seemed to work in most cases. So of those old photos however are what you see is what you get. That one with the cutie and the Triumph I am sure was a professional job for marketing or promotion so it began life as a good image.

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - September 22, 2020

Another good image of a racer

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 8.48.20 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

Vintage Pic of the Day - September 22, 2020

Another good image of a racer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29588[/ATTACH]

Mike Love
                              That is Merkel factory rider, Cleo Pineau, circa 1913.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

• Originally posted by exeric View Post
                                That is Merkel factory rider, Cleo Pineau, circa 1913.
                                Thanks Eric for identifying the rider and time. What an era.

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                                X