1940 Indian Scout 45 ci 640 motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

640 manuals

Well it sounds like that may be a manual I don't have. I have the 640B operation and maintenance, the military model 640 parts list, and the 41' indian parts price list. So the 41' overhaul book might come in handy. Maybe I can snag a copy from you for a moderate fee. I'm also looking for just a few spares if anyone has any, I'll list them below. Another question, is there a really cheap alternative to a speedometer that I can use on the sport scout instead of having the pay $800+ for an original?I'd conisder anything that would function the same and have the relatively same dimensions, etc.

Parts I need:
    Exhaust, solo seat springs, headlamp mount, amp gauge, ignition, regulator, speedometer, drive and cable as well, shift lever linkage. Any help would be great, my email is jcsrestoration@yahoo.com

Comment

640 parts needed

I also need a 40 tooth rear drive sprocket, the generator chain cover, and the chain guard, Since, I am not building a concourse bike, if the parts are in ok and decent usable shape, they should suffice, thanks for the help.

Comment

parts

Almost forgot, an air cleaner needed as well for the 640.

Comment

Hi Dave,
          You won't regrete having a 40' SS in your stable. I have had mine for a few years now and it only gets better everytime I ride her. Jerry Greers have helped me alot recently as Todd has just finished doing a 40' SS himself and has made alot of the parts you need. Ziggy of Ziggys motorworks has also helped me out alot for parts and information on sport scouts. There are a few others too but the man you want to speak to is Robin Markie of Bob's Indian. He has road the wheels off of several sport scouts and can answer all of your questions. First off, he told me to get a military 640 manual (second choise would be a 741 military manual). They are priceless in information and photos but you just have to know what the differances wher between the military and civilian models wher. Since he has done dozens of them over the years, he can tell you wher to get the parts or information you need toget your bike up and running right. As soon as I figure out how to post a picture, I put one up of my ride. Good luck Dave!

TR

Comment

1940 Sport Scout progress

Well, just an update on the 40' skirted scout progress. The chassis is well on it's way to the reassembly phase, engine is torn down, and will have to go .030 over standard on the bore, and a valve job. Any insight into valve guides?is there a definitive type, or is better to just go with the stock guides? Also, if anyone has any insight into things to look for or be aware of when reassembing the engine, distributor, and tranny, etc. I'd appreciate it. Anyone, know why it appears that the cases are made to let more oil to the rear cylinder than the front?Is this because of heat or something else?Anyone know a cheap substitute for a chainguard?Can someone elaborate on lip seals again. Thanks again for all the help.
            Dave

Comment

Dave, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I put the manual away and some gremlin moved it and it has just appeared again. I had a good look at it and am not sure how I could make an efficient copy of it given the type of binding, and it's fragile state. But if there is any info you need still, I could probably give it a go. Otherwise, I'd check with George Yarocki. He may have a copy of it he could send off to you.

http://www.oldmc-lit.com/
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Indian cylinder questions???Help!!!!

I'm hoping someone may have the answer, but after further cleaning on the scout cylinders, they both have a crack by the valve inlet. I've been told this is quite common in chiefs?Do some people still run the cylinders with the crack?They are almost 3/4 long, or does someone refurbish them? Also, another concern.... I have read in the manual that the standard bore is 2.875, and my cylinders are at about 2.90, and 2.91, but I wanted to bore them out considering there is some slight wear visible. I see the manual says one can go to .060 oversized. I was planning on going to .030, however, my wall is way to thin to even do that. So, now I'm quite confused and am trying to guess if I have a different model or year cylinders on my motor, the heads are in decent shape, and are the standard, non bonneville heads with the 7 bolt hole pattern. Main questions?Has anyone else run into the problem with cylinder bores seeming to be at standard bore, but having no wall thickness to oversize them?Did Indian make any adjustments in that wall thickness over the years, that they could be off a different model, but still bolt up to the cases and heads?Another obvious questions, does anyone have nice 40' sport scout cylinders available?Thanks for the help.
                Dave
                AMCA#1388

Comment

SS cylinders

Hey Dave, I have heard of those problems many times and know there are fixes for them. But to play it safe I just called Lee Standley to ask - on square base cylinders you can go 60 thous over round base 30 over. Lee said he brazes the bases of the round cylinders up and builds them up to a square base, then you can bore them and put in a sleeve - they are then annealed and much stronger. He said if you could get them red hot for 24 hours or so they would be twice as strong as stock barrels. My note taken is not the best but believe thats right. Also Lee said he has run 100 mile races with cylinders with those cracks with no - from the intake into the bore with no negative results of any type. He said if all else was ok, as the cracks are in a possition that they stay qiute cool. They can be fixed with good results by again brazing in with nickle/bronze, Ernie Skelton once showed me a machine he had done that on years ago - worked very well.
                  Lee said back in the good old days, lots of guys would run out and bore their brand new cylinders 40 thous over for racing purposes - brand new cylinders! He also said to watch if you go to 40 make sure to bore the casess or the piston will hit at the bottom of the stroke. Also about different cylinders fitting, 841 cylinders are the same as a sport scout, they are the same. I have a 841 cylinder on mine and know of one or two others with the same. Mine still has the cut out of the cylinders for the foot shifter :-) I forgot were your located but if your on the east coast I would check with Bob's Indian as advised - the Markeys I believe, heard nothing but good about em. If on the west coast I think there is none better than Lee Standley, Lee is going to be 90 this year darnit. Lee did my bottom end 19 years ago and 50,000 miles ago. Thanks to him I have become a real Indian fan. I was out on mine yesterday in a cold and windy day for so cal anyway and I froze. I was heading back at night and I thought you idiot - out on this old machine and freezing, if I brake down I will really be cold and hours untill I get home. But the Scout ran like a top, never missed a beat. My Scouts biggest problem is I do most the work on it, I just like trying and hopefully learning - good luck Tom.

Comment

Working...
                  X