'29 101 Scout engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '29 101 Scout engine

I'd like to start collecting some of the pieces I'll need for my 101 Scout engine. The engine is a disaster that needs lots of help. The cases are cracked in the area around the drive side bearing and while the hole for the race is properly centered, it's too large. I haven't decided yet whether to make a new bearing race after I get the case fixed or try and make a sleeve for a stock race.
    I have several good Heli arc welders in the area, but they aren't necessarily familiar with dealing with this older more porous aluminum casting. Can any of you suggest someone who is familiar with this older metal? This little problem hopefully will get covered in the next few months.
    The other problem at hand is the original flywheels - mine all junk (I think I have 3 or 4 of them). I vaguely remember someone telling me years ago that I could use later model Scout flywheels with an adapter to match the tapers of the smaller 101 shafts. Did I hear that right and if yes, where can I find wheels and adapters?
    Better yet, can anyone advise me who I can call that both knows about these things and will take the time to advise me on this.
    The rest of the bike should be an easy restoration. The original frame, forks and all sheet metal are very nice.

Thanks
    Sam

Sam, my 101 cam side case was cracked and there's a local guy here who specializes in welding aluminum, he's a top notch fabricator. He looked at my case and said he could repair it, he failed and made it worse ...maybe opening up and exposing previously not visible multiple cracks is a good thing in the end? Regardless, it's a pretty specialized repair. I have put up some pictures of the repair in my build thread.

Truett and Osborne have new 101 flywheels, they may need some work but bores and tapers are the right size for your existing shafts.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
    X