101 scout air cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101 scout air cleaner

Just curious what all the other 101 scout guys run for an air filter. I have the small round air snort but no filter and being in the high dust climate I'm in, of course it's wiped out my rings. I tried adapting a filter into it but the filter sat way to close to the carb and was choking it off. So I'm wondering what everyone else uses.

No one runs a filter either?

Comment

...it would be the same question for any early Linkert/Schebler equipped machine, right? I'm curious as well!
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Would a common 7" fit under the tank, Folks?

(Two holes in the back plate would have to be plugged, of course..)

....Cotten
        PS: Any added eccentric mass demands support, such as a studded bowl nut and bracket.
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-15-2024, 08:30 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Would something like this fit? K&N filters usually don't restrict airflow much.

Capture.JPG
          AMCA #41287
          1971 Sprint SS350 project
          1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
          1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
          1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
          96" Evo Softail self built chopper
          2012 103" Road King "per diem"
          plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

I had thoughts of something similar to that and use an early wla cap that was used for the oil bath filter on military bikes. That way it would be tucked back a bit and not protruding into my leg. Wouldn't look correct at all but for the purpose I have for my bike of riding all the time I think it would work well. Thoughts?

Comment

I'm thinking you could design and fashion an "air cleaner" from a small tin candy or fruitcake container. Be creative, drill some holes and make a backing plate, put apiece of foam inside, and there you have it. Pin the lid piece on with some small self tapping screws.

Although certainly NOT stock, perhaps more like a steam punk style... that way you could experiment how well the foam insert kept the dirt & dust out of the throat of the carb, and still allow enough air to be efficient. There is NO good answer when using the small round, or the teardrop type air horn. Those do a good job of keeping your pant leg out of the carb, but not much else.

I've tried several of this type of "air cleaners", but finally opted for a stock, center screw, Indian original air cleaner (originally with a wire mesh-like element). Replaced with a thin foam insert.
              Understandably, you might be wanting something that looks alot more like an Indian part, than an afterthought that looks way too wrong attached to a 101 Scout. just a thought....

C2K

Comment

For whatever it's worth...... I've never run an air filter on my 24 Chief or 24 Excelsior, just the standard round cover that basically keeps the birds and your pant leg out of the carburetor...... 10,000 and 5,000 miles respectively on them both.

Comment

The most important function of an air cleaner really isn't to clean the air, Gene,..

Its a spark arrestor: Flame snuffer.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

I got 1000 miles on mine and the rings are wiped out, typical dust inhalation. But my environment up here is constant wind and dry so some sort of element is needed I believe.

Comment

From a Harley website, someone wrote:

I'm planning to install 7" J-slot air cleaner, and maybe anyone have experience with K&N filters that will fit it?
                      Seems that E-2470 is OK, but with a height only 1.875" it seems too small for 80" engine...

Maybe you can fit something like that, and it will look more original?
                      AMCA #41287
                      1971 Sprint SS350 project
                      1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                      1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                      1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                      96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                      2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                      plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Originally posted by joe fxs fxr View Post
                        From a Harley website, someone wrote:

I'm planning to install 7" J-slot air cleaner, and maybe anyone have experience with K&N filters that will fit it?
                        Seems that E-2470 is OK, but with a height only 1.875" it seems too small for 80" engine...

Maybe you can fit something like that, and it will look more original?
                        I've an Old Iron "Raceway" kit left on the shelf, Folks!

It got the stainless spring-loaded adapter for original cleaners, and the K&N element is ~2" thick.

Ninety dollas.

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Can you post a picture of it cotton? Not sure I know what that is.

Comment

Originally posted by tgarcia View Post
                            Can you post a picture of it cotton? Not sure I know what that is.
                            Not quickly, Travis,...

It's 28 degrees Fahrenheit in my shop, and my priorities are constantly changing.

Imagine a conventional K&N element (not a flying saucer custom), plus a stainless sheetmetal disc with a double leaf-spring riveted to it.

The disc seals the out-side of the element, just as the in-side is sealed upon back-plates of 7" covers. The spring takes up the slop against the outer cover, similar to other Indian and HD models.

...Cotten
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-15-2024, 03:48 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                            X