Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

101 Scout steering neck bearing upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101 Scout steering neck bearing upgrade?

I'm trying to get my 1928 101 Scout roadworthy and lowered my fork to check the bearings and bearing cups. The upper bearing had 25 1/4" balls (supposed to be 21) and the upper cone doesn't look good to me so that will get replaced.
    The lowers looked fine, but I wanted to know if there are any upgrades to be done here while I have it apart like timken bearings etc, or should I just stick with the old style loose ball bearings?

adjusting cone.jpg Upper Cup.jpg
    Attached Files

Not with Indian but HD. What I have done is used a ball carbide the same size as the bearing and mount the race in a lathe and a air dremel in the lathe tool holder and carefully recut the race spinning both the carbide and the neck race.. In HD the race ia not that hard and cuts fairly easy. Jerry

Comment

with a chief the lower bearing uses the tapered roller and a thin one piece radial ,not thrust like original,ball bearing on top,which requires the cone nut race to be machined flat,which is the only use for your nut.
      I think the best set up is the tapered bottom bearing and an original cone nut with matching race and balls for the top
      Not sure if sizes are the same as chiefs.
      Tom

Comment

Working...
      X