Scout heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scout heads

I have a set of heads for my 101 and one head has 3/8 head bolt holes with a 5/8 spark plug hole and the other has 7/16 bolt holes with a smaller plug hole around 1/2 or so. Is the smaller bolt hole head an earlier head or is it for 37" engine?

Comment

Travis, I recall reading something about the changeover in headbolt size....hmmm, I'll look! But the 37" Scout heads have 6 bolts, and the 45" have 7 bolts.
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

O ya that's right Harry I forgot about the 37" having six bolts. I appreciate you looking into it for me.

Comment

...waiting for someone with better knowledge to chime in, but 3/8" is early 37ci and 45ci, apparently using studs in lieu of head bolts. When the switch to 7/16 occurred is what I was looking for ...but failed to find. The 101 R&O shop manual simply says "The 45 cu. in. cylinder has seven head bolts 7/16 diameter. Early on they were 3/8 inch."

My 37ci from 1930 has 7/16 bolts (6 of 'em)

Happy Thanksgiving Travis!
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Ok it sounds like I have an early and late head,I kind of thought that but wasn't positive. The thing throwing me off is the different plug size.

Harry you have a great thanksgiving also.

Comment

Working...
            X